Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The “passionate life” of an old electronic organ technician.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The “passionate life” of an old electronic organ technician.

http://churchorganservicing.blogspot...lectronic.html

The “passionate life” of an old electronic organ technician.
    BALDWIN D911 (Circa 1990) Diagnosis and repairs

Location : St-Leon Le Grand Parish’s church near Amqui, Quebec, Canada. 260 km return trip from Rimouski, Qc. my home base.
    First call: April 1st 2015, (not an April’s fool day joke) Temp. was -20 deg C. (That’s cold)!! Easter is approaching and the organ must be repaired ASAP.
    Problem reported: 1)instrument does not keep user presets in memory, factory presets are OK.
    2) Organ locks up and requires shut down. When power is turned back on, it plays normally until you hit a (any) user preset, then it locks up again.
    Repair:
    Found memory backup battery dead, replaced battery 3vdc. (CR2032). I had doubts about the replacement battery, it was not fresh, it was the last one on the shelf at the local 7-11 ...
    Note: Battery was changed in 2007 and a new battery holder (support) and a CR2032 battery was installed, it lasted about 8 years, not bad!
    I turned the power back on and then reprogrammed users presets immediately!
    Note: if you touch any user presets before reprogramming them, it will lock up again and you will have to shut off the organ, remove the battery CR2032 and reinsert it again, then turn the instrument back on.
    Done that: It played fine finally and beside the scratchy potentiometer on the expression pedal, it sounded OK. I played for about 30 minutes and then, I cleaned up and closed the organ. Turned on and off half a dozen times, it kept the user memories ok. Voltage reading on the 5vdc power supply test OK but the heat sink runs hot like Hell. I remember this is normal for this organ but I don’t like it, that BDW83C NPN Darlington power transistor(U1) is way too hot for my liking, there should be a fan cooling the bugger!! Or a bigger heatsink!!
    A 3 hour service call plus 260 km trip all that for 280 can$, of course not paid before 15 days by check. (I am too expensive?)
    Second call: April 21st2015
    Problem reported: Organ makes poping noises when turned on and locks up! I asked the lady at the church to call me using a wireless phone while sitting at the organ and I made my diagnosis by asking her to turn the instrument on while I was able to listen to the organ when it came on, (I heard a poof) I knew right away I had a real problem, I suspected the 5 vdc supply!
    April 23rd 2015: Here we go again, 260 km return trip from my home base, and it is snowing, temp. is +2 deg C.
    This time, I will bring with me a couple spare Darlington Power BDW83C and a fresh pack of CR2032 batteries.
    Back at the church 23 days after the first call.
    The D911 BALDWIN Organ is switched on, it powers up, it makes a pop and it locks up and does not respond, stoptabs on or off, no sound.
    Note: Turned the power off and unplug the organ.
    I removed the top, the roll top, the top back panel and the bracket above the vertical boards on the treble side of the organ, I removed the CPU board, the first vertical board on the left.
    I replaced the CR2032 battery. I replaced the board on the mother board connectors.
    Note : You have to be very careful to insert the board on the right way, be careful before removing the CPU board, look carefully where the pins should be and ground yourself, watch for static electricity. If you are on carpet flooring, discharge your body on a metallic object before touching the boards. You can never too careful!
    Note: Take pictures with a camera if you want to remember something like: parts layout, wirings, cable colors, etc... it is always useful, take written notes also.
    Plug the ac cord, turned switch on and right away reprogrammed user presets. All stoptabs work properly, all looks fine and the organs plays well.
    I checked the U1 heatsink and it’s getting hot by the minutes, I can barely keep my fingers on it.
    I wiggle a wee bit the U1 heathsink and “poof”, it makes a loud pop and the organ goes into a lock up!
    That’s it! Now I know! One of the 3 pins on the Darlington is cold soldered and intermittently does not make good contact and I just lost the 5vdc supply. Time to remove the power supply board and have a look and see! The fun starts!!
    Time to Power off , unplug the ac cable. Remove the green tie wires keeping the wiring in place, unplug the large black cable in the middle and then, remove the black, red, yellow and green, yellow, blue, brown, make sure each wire is marked where it should go on a diagram on a piece of paper. Be careful, they have to go back at exactly the same place on the connectors.
    Remove the 4 large screws holding the PSU board on the shelf.
    Do not remove the small screws around the board holding the little plastic frame under the PSU board.
    Lift the board gently, pushing the wires aside, be careful! Expose the bottom... of the board and locate the 3 pins of the Darlington Power transistor. Remove the nut, lock washer and bolt keeping the transistor on the heatsink, this is not easy.
    Unsolder the transistor and remove it, you should inspect the copper circuits to make sure there are no break! Insert the new U1 Darlington Power BDW83C and solder carefully, inspect your job. That’s it! Re-connect and re-wire every cable and wires. Inspect for the last time before trying to see if it works.
    Remove the CR2032 and re-insert it, plug the ac cable and turn the instrument on! If it powers up and does not make the pop noises, try a few stop tabs, it should play, reprogram the 5 user presets right away with basic settings. If it all works fine, feel the 5 vdc heatsink , it’s feeling warm already. Then the ultimate test!!! Wiggle the heatsink slightly, no noise and all is fine! You made it. Screw the 4 screws holding the PSU board on the shelf, attach all cable and wires.
    Play on the organ and test all settings.
    The scratchy control on the expression pedal can be help a bit, if you don’t have a replacement potentiometer (it’s a 22k pot), just pump that pedal every second for 2 minutes and I guarantee you the problem is gone for now...but for how long??
    Close up and get out of there before it quits again, just joking!
    Don’t forget your tool kit, your hat or your boots!
    And don’t make the bill before 30 days, just in case!
    How much should I charge?? What do you think?
    Gilles

Follow this link for pictures on my blog:

http://churchorganservicing.blogspot...lectronic.html

I have a Service Call rate which covers the trip and first 45 minutes. That rate is location dependent. Then, it goes to an hourly rate which also graduates with the SC rate dependent on location. If I have to go back within 30 days for additional work, I charge the lesser hourly rate, minimum 1 hour. If it's the same problem then warranty is considered.

I will explain on a call back with additional problems that they had (for example) $500 worth of problems and we found $250 the first time and the rest the second time.

BTW. Wal Mart sells a small fan for about $7 that you can locate inside that organ, direct it across the power supply, and tie it to the power so it comes on with the organ. I had one I did that to about 4~5 years ago that kept blowing the power supply and it still works. I used silicon glue to secure it to the shelf.

Geo

Comment

Thank you Geo for you input. I like the idea of installing a small fan. It would certainly do the job!

Comment

Gilles,

Welcome to the Forum! I hope this is the beginning of many contributions from you.

Your post speaks of the dedication to the instrument--not only of the musicians who play them, but also of the technicians who tend them. Thank you for your dedication to the instrument and art form!

Michael
        Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
        • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
        • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Hello M. Plourde and welcome to the Organ Forum. You got my attention right away because I recognize the Baldwin Organ on your website as the twin to my Galanti Praeludium II. As you probably know the Baldwin was made by Galanti and is identical in every way except for the Baldwin/Howard badge. I'm pleased to see that the Baldwin is still in service and even more interested that you provide service for it. My PII was hit by lightning recently and there is no one in my area(Southern USA-Georgia) who provides service. Can't tell you much about rates but I did have a tech here to have a look and assess the damage. He pronounced the organ dead and did not offer to repair. His rate $225 for the visit. He did not charge mileage because he was already in the area on another call. Will view your posts with great interest.
          Sam S.
          Sam

Allen ADC5400, 1910 Chickering QuarterGrand
          Past---Allen ADC4000, Galanti Praeludium II, Yamaha Clavinova, Hammond A102, W.W. Putnam Reed Organ

Comment

I just saw your other post, "BALDWIN Howard D911 / D912 (Viscount manufactured)Planned obsolescence or poor design" and now I'm wondering who actually built the Baldwin D911. Below is a photo of my Galanti PII. Except for the reverb unit on the left side they look like twins to me. Or, if not twins, then certainly kissing cousins.

Attached Files
            Sam

Past---Allen ADC4000, Galanti Praeludium II, Yamaha Clavinova, Hammond A102, W.W. Putnam Reed Organ

Comment

Yes, they sure look alike. I remember Baldwin sold a D901 before the D911.Yours looks a bit like a D901 to me. In the 1985-90 period, I have sold a D901 to a church in my area (abt 100 miles from here) and I serviced this instrument about 5 years ago. The memory backup battery was dead. I replaced the battery holder with a conventional holder (3 X 1.5vdc battery type AA) and it worked fine. The stop tabs on the D901 have a small bulb and a few of them are dead and I just can't find any replacement. Beside that small problem, it plays just fine. On the D911, I noticed some cct boards with the name VISCOUNT etched on them. At the beginning of may (2015) in a few days, I will be going to Edmunston, New Brunswick just near the Canada - US border. I have two D911 to repair, I will keep the forum posted with the outcome and I will post a bunch of pictures on my blog : http://churchorganservicing.blogspot.ca/ .Hope I can fix both of them. I wouldn't mind having one at home...

Attached Files
              Last edited by Gilles Plourde; 04-26-2015, 08:49 AM.

Comment

You can get the bulbs (part #11210) from:

Artie Specht
                Operations Manager
                Generalmusic Corp
                605 F Country Club Drive
                Bensenville, IL 60106

[email protected]
                Sam

Comment

Hey! I love this forum! Thank you Samzer for the info, very helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for accepting me.
                  Gilles

Comment

Originally posted by Gilles Plourde View Post
                    At the beginning of may (2015) in a few days, I will be going to Edmunston, New Brunswick just near the Canada - US border.
                    Gilles,

Don't forget to go skiing while you are there! As a child when we had the money, we'd try to go there skiing at least once per year.

Back on topic, were either of those organs 3-manual? I remember working for a music store in the late 1980s/early 1990s that had a Baldwin digital with MIDI for sale. I demonstrated it several times, but it never sold while I was there. I just remember the one we had felt cheap when I played it, but I couldn't say that as a sales person, of course. Keyboards were too soft and didn't have spring in them, unlike the Rodgers analogue I was playing for church, and the samples were off in their equalization--not very full-sounding. It was playable, though.

Then there was the model I played in college for their band concert in 1990 that was also a Baldwin. Same issues with that one, but it was certainly playable.

Michael
                    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Hello Michael, I don't know about skiing in May. Trully, I had enought of 6 months of winter, I am looking forward to spring and summer time. It's barely above freezing today April 26th.
                      The Baldwin D911 or D912 were 2 manual instruments sold in 1990-1995. I sold a couple Wurlitzer C360 or C380, 3 manual sold by COS BALDWIN probably made by the same company VISCOUNT or Galanti, not sure.
                      Baldwin made a D432, 3 manual, similar to the D422, I sold a few of them in the 1990. There were almost impossible to service, 3 big black boxes containing everything, the master and slaves CPU, here are a few pictures of the BALDWIN D422 with and old Baldwin 5A being replaced:
                      Attached Files

Comment

That organ in the back reminds me of a cartoon character my nephew used to watch back in his Thomas Train days. (Now he's chief executive assistant organ mover when bribed sufficiently... and taller than me.)

Lamar
                        -- I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic -- 1899 Kimball, Rodgers W5000C, Conn 643, Hammond M3, L-102 - "Let no man belong to another who can belong to himself." (Alterius non sit qui suus esse potest​ -) ​Paracelsus

Comment

Welcome Gilles. Thanks for the interesting repair story. I look forward to more.
                          -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
                          Leslie 147 #F7453.
                          Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Gilles,

To keep it simple, the only GeneralMusic classical digital organs that were re-badged were D-900 and D-910. The rest of the models were built by Viscount. The only digital classical organs that Baldwin actually built themselves was the D-4xx series.

If you are looking for stop lamps for Viscount, don't try to get them from GeneralMusic US, as they don't have them. Viscount and Galanti did not use the same bulb in their stop units. For Viscount service and support deal with Norm Ninneman at Viscount Tech.

Your trials and tribulations with these Viscount organs are common problems. These problems are so serious, that in many cases these organs ended up in the landfill.

My guess is that most of the ones left in the field have had good service done to them over the years. I remember some of these organs were thrown out when they were about 10 years old.

Anyways, I still see them occasionally. I have the electronic guts of 2 of them. Handy if you need parts.

AV

P.S. What is a Baldwin D-901? I assume it is a Viscount re-badge, but don't know anything about it.

Comment

Mike,

I do know that Galanti offered a three manual version of the Praeludium, I think it was called the Praeludium 5. It might very well have been offered as a Baldwin, and I am wondering if the three manual Viscounts were made by GEM as well?

Comment

Working...
                              X