This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chimes sounding funny...`

Our organ tech will surely fix this problem, but my curiosity is stirred and I wondered if anyone can tell me what is actually going on here....

I was practicing this past weekend and was experimenting with the chimes on a song. I stopped and just played one of the chime notes a few times in a row because it seemed much quieter than the other ones. I hit the note repeatedly about 5 times or so, and all of a sudden the tone changed completely. Now this note sounds like someone is playing it with a metal tipped stick or something. Did something happen to one of the strikers?? It sounds all "tinny" now...
    Craig

Hammond L143 with Leslie 760

It will help to know what type of chimes are involved. If these are electro-mechanically struck chimes (Deagan, Mayland, Maas-Rowe), then it could be an adjustment on the striker, or perhaps the tube or striker is damaged. Possibly dust or debris in the striker solenoid--maybe a sliver of paper between the striker and tube.

If it is amplified rods, like a Schulmerich Chimeatron, then it could be a pickup.

Comment

sorry I didn't clarify well. These are tubular like the Deagan brand. They are the electro-mechanically struck, so who knows what might be present in the action? It almost sounds like something came off the end of the striker and now it's like metal hitting metal.
      Craig

Comment

It sound like the leather or felt tip came off the plunger, and now it's metal hitting metal. I've had to redo 32 chime plungers in the past

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by wangerin24 View Post
          It sound like the leather or felt tip came off the plunger, and now it's metal hitting metal. I've had to redo 32 chime plungers in the past
          This is a 2nd vote for Dave's post. I have a set of Deagan chimes, and some of them came with the striker tips missing, and it was metal against metal. I've had a devil of a time finding replacement strikers that produce a loud-enough sound.

Best of luck with your replacements. Perhaps if you look on the floor underneath the chimes, you may be able to find the tip that came out.

Michael
          Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
          • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
          • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
          • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

I have rebuilt hundreds of these over the years. Some tips were made of hard leather like what would be used on a belt. An old belt and a leather punch is one method and another is felt tips can be replaced with the hard felt kits that stores like Lowes sell for use on bottom of chairs. Just look at the other strikers and see what they have on them. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
              This is a 2nd vote for Dave's post. I have a set of Deagan chimes, and some of them came with the striker tips missing, and it was metal against metal. I've had a devil of a time finding replacement strikers that produce a loud-enough sound.

Best of luck with your replacements. Perhaps if you look on the floor underneath the chimes, you may be able to find the tip that came out.

Michael
              Gentlemen, I am definitely not an authority on any kind of organ/chime repairs, but I wouldn't be afraid to bet that you are correct. I actually did look on the floor underneath and could not locate anything; however the lighting is bad in that spot and I looked very quickly - so I will probably do another search again. The question now is this: will the chimes have to be dismantled to fix the problem, or is it just a matter removing the specific note to get to the plunger?
              Craig

Comment

The plunger tip might be laying in the cabinet. On Mass-Rowe chimes I've worked on, the cabinet cover lifts off and the tubes can be removed by unhooking the supporting strings. Wear cotton gloves when handling the tubes.

td
                Servicing electronic organs since 1969.

Comment

Originally posted by tucsondave View Post
                  The plunger tip might be laying in the cabinet. On Mass-Rowe chimes I've worked on, the cabinet cover lifts off and the tubes can be removed by unhooking the supporting strings. Wear cotton gloves when handling the tubes.

td
                  This particular model has the whole tube exposed and does not cover the front and tops of them. I didn't see a model name anywhere. I think these are pretty old - they are definitely not set up to be displayed in public view - the mount for them is roughly finished wood - not really pretty to look at. When I first saw them, my initial thought was that the set-up almost looked "home-made". LOL...
                  Craig

Comment

Originally posted by musikfan View Post
                    The question now is this: will the chimes have to be dismantled to fix the problem, or is it just a matter removing the specific note to get to the plunger?
                    My chimes are such that you can either lift the cover off, and then remove the single chime. That exposes the plunger where you can replace the tip. If I think of it, I'll take a photo of my chimes this weekend, as well as the chime tips.

Michael
                    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Working...
                    X