X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USSC board in a Allen Organ

Whats the purpose of this board? ADC organ

It's a Stop Control board. It disables the tremulant stops when the Crescendo or Tutti functions are on.

td
    Servicing electronic organs since 1969.

Comment

Quote from the ADC service manual:

"Close to the Multiplexer Board in some models there is a small Stop Control board identified as USSC-1, Its only purpose is to disable the Tremulant stops when the Crescendo or Tutti functions are engaged."
      John
      ----------
      *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Ahhhh! thanks guys! The reason I asked is its right next to some 4 wire molex type edge connectors that are just dangling in the wind. (See pic) Some one at some time cut the red and white wires from these 2 connectors and soldered them together...bypassing the edge connector. Turns out these wires come from p238 and control my relay board for my "Main Organ Off/ Swell Antiphonal On" Of which I did get working once again.
        However, I want to get the "Blank" rocker switch working again or at least be able to send the signal down for another relay board. The blank rocker tab use to be "Gt-Ped. to Antiphonal" which shows to be pin 6 of the P238 connector orangish color wire. Turns out this wire (I traced) comes from that pin 6 of P238 and terminates at one of those 2 edge connectors. Then goes from the other edge connector down to the wire lug strip at the back bottom of the console floor marked GT/Ped to Ant.
        What would those edge connectors have plugged into? And I wonder why they "bypassed" the white and the red wires ( current working "swell main off and swell to ant.")from those connectors?
        I did try using a jumper wire on the orangish colored wire at the edge connectors and wired it to my relay board with no results of it activating my relay (using the blank rocker tab).
        Is there some measurement of voltage I can test at P238 pin 6 to see if infact that the rocker switch is at least working or sending a signal?
        Attached Files

Comment

So....I think after some "Googling" I may have come up with my own answer...yet then with another question..:-P. It seems that maybe I need a USRD board (black arrow on pic below----not my organ) to properly connect to the rocker switch. However, how is it that the RED and White wires (Main Off/ Ant. On) are direct to the Univeral Board without going through a USRD??
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Hamman; 06-19-2015, 08:24 AM.

Comment

The output of the multiplexer can drive up to 40 mA, so if it is switching just one relay, it can probably be done directly. That would depend on the coil of the relay. It looks like 2 of these boards have only one relay. (If this is a photo of your organ.)

If you want to switch 2 or more relays, the USRD (Universal System Relay Driver) is required. Or the USRD might be mounted in a different place, perhaps near the relays.

Comment

Thanks toodles!
              How do I find the wire that is controled by the rocker switch that I want to utilize? How would I check suspected wire(s) to see if they are controlled by that rocker switch. Voltages? ohms? continuity? It happens to be the "blank" rocker switch that Im trying to find the other end of. It appears from viewing the rear of that rocker switch, it has the same amount of wires as the others connected to it

Comment

Hamman,

Rocker switch, drawstop, and tab switch wiring is complicated (at least for me), on an Allen ADC organ. The stops and pistons are set up in a matrix that is kinda like playing the game, Connect Four. 3 or 4 stops share the same ground, but the primary wire is a different color. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this. I remember when adding the toe studs and MIDI to my organ, my original attempt was to connect to the correct ground and pin on the terminal strip in the right-hand side of my organ (looking from the back). I believe I've documented it on my threads about adding toe studs and MIDI to my 4300.

Beyond that, I'm sorry I cannot be of much help, but I also hope to learn through this thread. My gut tells me the rocker tabs on your organ (& my 4300 organ) are both already tied to certain pins on the main computer board (REM Outputs--like P237 & P238 in your photo below) rather than to stops on the terminal strip. Thanks for starting the thread.

Michael
                Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

You don't directly use the output of the stop tablet. It is wired into the stop multiplexer, and you connect to the "REM OUT" for that tablet position (remote output). JBird will probably be nice enough to provide you with it, as well as the stop layout drawings for the model.

Comment

Originally posted by toodles View Post
                    You don't directly use the output of the stop tablet. It is wired into the stop multiplexer, and you connect to the "REM OUT" for that tablet position (remote output). JBird will probably be nice enough to provide you with it, as well as the stop layout drawings for the model.
                    Unfortunately, said documentation is a bit sketchy concerning what it covers. With any luck, you'll be able to get what you need from it, but I know in my ADC-4300, the pins for the REM outputs were not individually labeled by their function.

Hopefully, that documentation exists and is complete!

Michael
                    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Does this work? It shows the REM outputs for the ADC-4300 Drawknob, chimes option, remote outputs. There are probably other sheets. Sorry, I don't have the REMOUTS for the 5300. But this gives you the idea.

Pins are not normally labelled on circuit boards, the connects are labelled. The chart shows the function of the individual connector pins.

While you may find it confusing, it is very typical in electronic documentation to have to go to a chart or the schematic diagram to identify individual connections. Charts are common for items where service people are intended to be able to make changes.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here's what I have for the 5300.

td

Click image for larger version

Name:	5300 REM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	595724 Click image for larger version

Name:	5300 REM outputs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	595725
                        Servicing electronic organs since 1969.

Comment

Thanks guys....while my printer is busy spitting those pages out....on my sheets I found in the organ, P238 pins 3 and 4 go to my midi board.....easy to trace. However there is still pins 5 and 6. Pins 1 and 2 go to my relay board for Main off and Sw to Ant. There were 2 wires wrapped up that you could tell that were at one time "punched" in yet are now just tied up (next to P238). This organ did have GT-PD to Ant. and so I assumed that one of those wires operated the GT-Pd Ant. When looking at the back of the rocker switches, I do not see different colored wires designated wired to different switches.....they all are receiving the same colored wire.

Comment

Originally posted by toodles View Post
                            Pins are not normally labelled on circuit boards, the connects are labelled. The chart shows the function of the individual connector pins.
                            Ok that makes sense!. After printing the above pages out, I found my "blank" rocker switch numbered as 272....right next to my Swell Main Off switch #273. It states it is blank for possible optional reverb....yet it then shows it going to pin #5 of P240...so I may have been in the wrong pin group :-P....I'll check when I get home and report back

OK I got a head of my self...I was reading off the 4300 chart instead of the 5300 chart. So, looking at the 5300 chart, I will need to check pin #2 of P240. Switch #273 is the "blank" switch between my "Second Voicing" switch (272) and the "Swell Main Off" switch (274)
                            Last edited by Hamman; 06-22-2015, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Yes! Thats it! Got it working....thanks for those charts!!
                              Now if I can get Mark Herman to call back on a price and availability of a univrel board I'll be even more stoked!

Comment

Working...
                              X