This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Older Allen Organ

I am a classical organ student with a tight budget. I currently have a Conn Rhapsody 628. The 25 note pedalboard and the theatre style registration really does not suit my needs as a classical/liturgical organist. Anyway, that is why I am looking for an older Allen digital organ with AGO specs and classical registration. Like I said, I am on a very tight budget and can only spend at the most $1500. If anyone could give me some feedback it would be much appreciated.

cd70,

Welcome to the Forum. Where are you located (approximately)? That will help us find resources for you. Keep in mind, as much as half the cost of the organ can be moving costs.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

I am located in Charlotte, NC

Comment

It's great to hear of a serious young classical organ student! I sure hope you can find a suitable organ for practice. Keep your eyes and ears open, check all the usual ads, but also check around with local churches. Sadly, a lot of churches are discarding good organs because no one plays them, or church leaders have decided they don't want organ music in their services.

You may have to be patient for a while, but eventually a good practice organ will come along. I am in the organ service business, so I get more such calls than most people would, but I get offers quite frequently to pick up decent church organs for little or nothing. Unfortunately, I am in Arkansas, so getting an organ to you from here would cost quite a bit of money unless you come and get it yourself.

Of course, many free organs turn out to be junkers, with non-standard pedals, or they're too old or in really bad shape. But several times a year I get offered something like a MOS Allen (1970's to early 80's), often for free. I am about to pick one up for $500 as soon as I can make the arrangements, and it's a model 120, which is full AGO with standard classical stop list, speakers in the console, and a rudimentary preset system (no settable pistons, just a few factory presets). I'll of course spruce it up, maybe renovate the pedal felts and bushings, clean up all the circuit boards, adjust key contacts and stop switches, etc., and I'll probably be able to resell it for perhaps $3000. But you could make do with a free one as-is if you're handy with minor repairs.

Watch this forum too. Sometimes people have organs for sale for very little money. You are wise to zero in on an Allen, as you can hardly go wrong with one of those. Just don't settle for a "princess" pedalboard on one of the smallest models, since you need AGO pedals for your practice. (I know some people get by just fine with the princess pedals, but a student needs to be practicing on standard pedals for proper training.)
        John
        ----------
        *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Here is an Allen System 120-C in Lexington KY--it would take you a day to get there and back, but it could be done. Starting price is $500. It might work out for you. http://www.--------/itm/Allen-Organ-...item33a7b9d850

Comment

Bizarre shock - An Allen in dark walnut just doesn't look like an Allen to me. (Guess who just fell off the turnip truck.)
            -- I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic -- 1899 Kimball, Rodgers W5000C, Conn 643, Hammond M3, L-102 - "Let no man belong to another who can belong to himself." (Alterius non sit qui suus esse potest​ -) ​Paracelsus

Comment

Originally posted by cd70 View Post
              I am located in Charlotte, NC
              I live in Indianapolis, IN. I have a two manual MOS-1 organ that I would sell for considerably less than $1500. However, it has 4 full range speakers and 1 subwoofer. It has a card reader with a nice stack of cards. It also has a tab for making the two manuals slightly out of tune with each other, which makes the sound much warmer. It also has the analog Celeste rank. There is one thing wrong with it. The combination action does not work. I have been told the most likely reason is that it was unplugged so long that the batteries were drained and need to be replaced.

Comment

That organ in Lexington for $500 would be OK if it really is "in like new condition" as the seller states. However the seller also says it is a "theater organ" which it most definitely is not, so it's hard to say what might be wrong with it once you check it out. It's an entry level model for sure, with none of the optional extras, though that wouldn't matter if all you need is a working AGO console.

In truth, MOS Allens are about the most fixable of all organs, though if you need a computer board they can be pricey. It's probably best to avoid anything that isn't working, because of the high cost of parts and the scarcity of good techs.

Radagast's organ above might just be a great deal for a beginner. It's known to be working, and it must be a 300 series, as it comes with the analog celeste generator, as well as external speakers. That means it also has a crescendo pedal, and it has a full-featured capture action. The capture action might just need a new battery. He could test that by disconnecting the battery and seeing if the capture will work that way. It won't hold when the organ gets unplugged, but that would let you know if it's easily fixable.
                John
                ----------
                *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

Comment

What about this organ in Raleigh? http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/5124173923.html. I'm sure you can dicker with him/her to knock down the price a little. Sellers are often swayed by students who are serious about the instrument.

Michael
                  • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

Comment

That does look interesting. Must be a 300 series, as it has the crescendo pedal, card reader, capture action, and toe studs. It also has Double-Memory capture, as opposed to sequential, so that's a definite plus. And FOUR of those lovely HC-12 speaker cabinets!

I'd take them up on it if I were closer!
                    John
                    ----------

Comment

Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
                      That organ in Lexington for $500 would be OK if it really is "in like new condition" as the seller states. However the seller also says it is a "theater organ" which it most definitely is not, so it's hard to say what might be wrong with it once you check it out. It's an entry level model for sure, with none of the optional extras, though that wouldn't matter if all you need is a working AGO console.

In truth, MOS Allens are about the most fixable of all organs, though if you need a computer board they can be pricey. It's probably best to avoid anything that isn't working, because of the high cost of parts and the scarcity of good techs.

Radagast's organ above might just be a great deal for a beginner. It's known to be working, and it must be a 300 series, as it comes with the analog celeste generator, as well as external speakers. That means it also has a crescendo pedal, and it has a full-featured capture action. The capture action might just need a new battery. He could test that by disconnecting the battery and seeing if the capture will work that way. It won't hold when the organ gets unplugged, but that would let you know if it's easily fixable.
                      Actualily my organ is a 200 series: a single expression pedal, and no 32' pedal stops. It has four alterable voices, two on each manual. The last time I checked, the card reader worked perfectly. The celeste tab is marked Salicional II, right next to a digital stop called Salicional. It must have been a later model, since it has the "Sharp Tuning" stop on the Swell, which helps warm things up a bit.

I brought it up as an option, but it depends on if he would rather have a self-contained organ for space reasons.

I see in the picture of the other organ, it indeed does have 2 expression pedals (more than likely one is for crescendo). I see a card reader slot. It probably is a 300 series.
                      Last edited by radagast; 08-19-2015, 06:52 PM.

Comment

We might also want to mention to our music student friend that it (the Raleigh organ) only needs 2 tone cabinets, so it might look much better in the room it'd be going into.
                        R, Bill

Comment

Originally posted by beel m View Post
                          We might also want to mention to our music student friend that it (the Raleigh organ) only needs 2 tone cabinets, so it might look much better in the room it'd be going into.
                          R, Bill
                          My organ only needs 2 speakers cabinets. It just happens to have 5. I suppose I could sell the other speakers separately.

Comment

I know OP is looking for an Allen, but here is a nice looking, but working condition unstated, Rodgers available for free in the DC area:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...201421361.html
                            I'm so poor, my cats get free health care!

Comment

Originally posted by jimsmith77006 View Post
                              I know OP is looking for an Allen, but here is a nice looking, but working condition unstated, Rodgers available for free in the DC area:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...201421361.html
                              Great find, Jim! Even though it is an analog organ (I presume), it's probably worth the price they're asking for a great practice instrument. I wonder if it comes with bench and speakers? Those are kinda essential.

That brings something else to mind, I wonder if Allen's speakers will work on Rodgers' organs and vice versa? I know John has used Rodgers speakers on his Allen, but I've never heard of the reverse being true.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X