Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any portable, two-manual, classic keyboards?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any portable, two-manual, classic keyboards?

I'm looking for a portable, two-manual keyboard suitable for playing classical music--something like a classic version of a Hammond SK2 (http://hammondorganco.com/products/portable-organs/sk2/). Does anyone know of any keyboards that fit this description?

How portable is portable? Roland had something like a W-5000 or similar that split like an Atelier. Built under the Rodgers name and I think the bottom keyboard may have been weighted and 76 keys. The case looks suspiciously like the original AT-70 Atelier. It has Hammond style drawbars, classical tabs, and Roland was brave enough back then to call 'em drawbars and Leslie; the actual names. Three tone generators for classical, Hammond, and orchestra sounds. 25 wood pedals. You and two good friends could readily move it!

To be a bit more serious, they also built a W-50 keyboard (single manual) around the same time which was either 61 or 76 notes and had classical sounds on it. Two could be put together, although locating even one might be a challenge. There is a current model Rodgers that Hector Olivera demonstrates, the C-230, a single manual organ, 61 notes. Probably a bit pricey.

Before I loose my last vestige of credibility, one more hair-brained idea: I noted a couple of years back that the Kurzweil PC-3 had an entire raft of classical sounds added in one of the factory updates. These are single sounds like diapason 4', but the sound generator can put out eight sounds simultaneously on the keyboard, plus eight more via MIDI. With a MIDI'd second manual (I'd use the 76 note synth key version - mine is the 88-note weighted), you might have a decent two manual classical organ that could be moved easily. The second manual can be ANYTHING, even a non-velocity Casio CTK model ($50 on CraigsList), as long as it has MIDI Out.
    Roland Atelier AT-90s, AT-80s, AT-70, 30, and 15. Roland VR-760 combo
    Yamaha S-90, Kurzweil PC-3x, Casio Privia PX-330, Roland E-80, G-70, BK-5, Leslie 760, 820
    Moved on:
    Allen 3MT/Hauptwerk, Technics GA1, Yamaha HX1, AR80, numerous Hammonds, including 2 M's, an L, 2 A-100's, XP-2, XM-1/1c, & an XK-3. Roland Atelier AT-30, 60r, 80, & 20r(2 units), and a slew of Leslies (147, 142, 760, 900, 330).
    Korg Triton Le-61, Casio Privia PX-310 & 110, and Kurzweils: PC-2x, SP-88, Pro-III, K1000

Comment

I think the VK-77 inherited the drawbar/classic/roland generators from the W5000. It has the same basic problem as the W5000 - lots of voices/tones but only a small window to navigate and select them.
      -- I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic -- 1899 Kimball, Rodgers W5000C, Conn 643, Hammond M3, L-102 - "Let no man belong to another who can belong to himself." (Alterius non sit qui suus esse potest​ -) ​Paracelsus

Comment

Originally posted by csimmons0 View Post
        I'm looking for a portable, two-manual keyboard suitable for playing classical music--something like a classic version of a Hammond SK2 (http://hammondorganco.com/products/portable-organs/sk2/). Does anyone know of any keyboards that fit this description?
        I have a Roland C180 that has several pipe organ stops from Rodgers, activated by rocker tabs. It has 2 pedal stops. Also has reverb.

Comment

Thanks. I think that a cheap second keyboard that has a MIDI connection may be the best solution. I'll speak about it with the dealer that I'll probably buy the main keyboard from.

Comment

WELL, what is the main keyboard going to be? (And yes, virtually ANYTHING will do for that second manual. I've done so often, even using program select buttons to pick sounds for the second manual.)
            Roland Atelier AT-90s, AT-80s, AT-70, 30, and 15. Roland VR-760 combo
            Yamaha S-90, Kurzweil PC-3x, Casio Privia PX-330, Roland E-80, G-70, BK-5, Leslie 760, 820
            Moved on:
            Allen 3MT/Hauptwerk, Technics GA1, Yamaha HX1, AR80, numerous Hammonds, including 2 M's, an L, 2 A-100's, XP-2, XM-1/1c, & an XK-3. Roland Atelier AT-30, 60r, 80, & 20r(2 units), and a slew of Leslies (147, 142, 760, 900, 330).
            Korg Triton Le-61, Casio Privia PX-310 & 110, and Kurzweils: PC-2x, SP-88, Pro-III, K1000

Comment

Working...
            X