This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahlborn Archive Module needs service?

I have an Ahlborn Archive 202 module that started behaving strangely lately. Everything works fine, except one thing. When I try to program a new temperament in one of the four temperament memories of the module, it cannot handle negative changes in the note frequency. Every time I try to go below zero the display shows garbage instead of the numeric change. If I press and hold one note to hear the effect while pressing and holding the "<" button to move fast in the negatives, there is something like a random fluctuation in the frequency that it is heard instead of a continuous change. I have the continuous change if I start from a positive value and I repeat the previous step, until I hit the negatives which are displayed as garbage, like I said, and make the change sound like a fluctuation.

Anyone knows what kind of problem is that? Is there some way to perform a factory reset? Or does it definitely need service? The user manual says nothing about restoring the factory state, but I know that in Ahlborn organs there are some key/button combinations performing certain functions during the startup sequence. Of course a factory reset will erase all voicing setting, but I prefer to have the temperament programming function working again even if this means that I need to start from scratch.

One last detail, if it matters: the module is connected to an Ahlborn organ.

Perhaps there is a battery in the unit for holding your settings in memory. If so, it may need changing. There's a chance that removing the battery while the unit is not connected to AC power, leaving it out for a few minutes, then installing a fresh battery would cause a complete reset, which might clear up the issue.

I don't recall ever seeing a service manual for one of these, but one of the other techs out there may have one and can be more specific.
    John
    ----------
    *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
      Perhaps there is a battery in the unit for holding your settings in memory. If so, it may need changing. There's a chance that removing the battery while the unit is not connected to AC power, leaving it out for a few minutes, then installing a fresh battery would cause a complete reset, which might clear up the issue.

I don't recall ever seeing a service manual for one of these, but one of the other techs out there may have one and can be more specific.
      Thank you John for this information, at least it gives some hope.

Comment

Hi Genshoorn,

There is a battery in these modules, which should be replaced at least once every 10 years. These batteries are not only prone to give up the ghost over time, they have a habit of leaking battery acid, right into nearby circuitry. The battery is a solder in type, and is on the main board. The original batteries were ni-cad type, but NiMH will be fine. What yiu can also do is replace that battery with a cordless phone battery, making sure the voltage is correct (3.6 volt).

Sometimes, possibly battery related, there is a data corruption, which can lead to erratic behavior. Then a re-set is what is needed. To do this, on the module, press the SET piston and simultaniously press pistons 1 thru 5. It is tricky to do this, but will work, and the screen will say MEMORY PUFF.
        You lose your settings, but hey, it should restore functionality.

You may want to write down any settings you want to keep before doing this.

AV

Comment

Originally posted by arie v View Post
          Hi Genshoorn,

There is a battery in these modules, which should be replaced at least once every 10 years. These batteries are not only prone to give up the ghost over time, they have a habit of leaking battery acid, right into nearby circuitry. The battery is a solder in type, and is on the main board. The original batteries were ni-cad type, but NiMH will be fine. What yiu can also do is replace that battery with a cordless phone battery, making sure the voltage is correct (3.6 volt).

Sometimes, possibly battery related, there is a data corruption, which can lead to erratic behavior. Then a re-set is what is needed. To do this, on the module, press the SET piston and simultaniously press pistons 1 thru 5. It is tricky to do this, but will work, and the screen will say MEMORY PUFF.
          You lose your settings, but hey, it should restore functionality.

You may want to write down any settings you want to keep before doing this.

AV
          Thank you so much for posting these details! But how do I get into the internals? Is it simple or should I take the module apart? I have never seen its inside before.

Also, can you post an example/link of replacement battery, so that I can see what we talk about?

Comment

Hi,

Me again.

To get to the module's internals, iu have to take out approx10 little screws Then you pry the top lip of the back form the top. Be careful when you pull the 2 pieces apart, as there is a cable going from the main board to the front panel. You don't want to mess up the the connector as it is rather delicate.

You will find the battery on the main board. To work on it, you have to main board off the chasis.

The whole procedure is a pain really. They should have figured a better way to do this.

When working on this, make sure you use common sense regarding static discharge, etc.

An example of the battery can be found at www.batterybob.com . It is #399024 , 3.6 v NiMH, solder-in type.

If you want to be adventuresome, put in a 3.6 v NiMH rechargeable from a cordless phone handset.

AV

Comment

The whole procedure is a pain really. They should have figured a better way to do this.
              Indeed. I did it just to see what it takes and, wow, it was impossible without removing one of the rubber feet of the module.

An example of the battery can be found at www.batterybob.com . It is #399024 , 3.6 v NiMH, solder-in type.

If you want to be adventuresome, put in a 3.6 v NiMH rechargeable from a cordless phone handset.

AV
              Now that's the hard part. It looks like the battery is soldered. This is what you mean by solder-in type? If yes, then I need special tools to anything with it, right?

Comment

Well, continuing on my previous experiment, here is what I finally did. I could not see any way to get the battery out without using special equipment. It did not move to the least while applying some force to pull it out. But even with special tools, the risk to do some damage to the main board seems quite high because the contacts are very close to the board. From the outside, the battery fortunately did not show any signs of wear or leak. The whole package seemed intact, like new, making me think that this battery is the original one (who knows for how long it will last).

I decided then the put again all the pieces in place and try the reset combination as suggested by arie v previously. Somewhat tricky to use that combination but it eventually worked, and then ... MEMORY PUFF! Applying now the negative changes in the temperament programming section worked as expected! No garbage on the display anymore, just the change applied. Next step is to restore the settings and mostly program the same temperament in the organ and the module, to make sure that the changes are correctly applied and stored in memory.
                Last edited by Gemshoorn; 09-16-2015, 04:12 AM. Reason: Minor corrections

Comment

I have a 201 that I acquired when I first converted my old Schober to MIDI. It has since been replaced with Hauptwerk but I still use the 201 in some recording applications. Two years ago a problem developed with the display screen. It degraded to the point where now it only displays random pixels. Has anyone seen that problem?

Comment

Hi,

Your screen has gone bad. Only solution is to replace it. Replacing it is a royal pain, but do-able. If I can do it, you can likely do it.

AV

Comment

Working...
                    X