This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johannus OPUS 220 low at bass

Hello friends - I have the Johannus OPUS 220 - one of the last models. It plays perfect, but the (pedal)bass seems to be a little bit to low. Is it possible to adjust the volume for the bass only in the pedals. I have the service manual from 1985 for this organ, but I am not shure how to do it, - if its possible.
    Hope somebody out there can advise.
    Best
    Arne D.

Yes, you must open the organ, and inside from the organ you find 3 potentiometers for Pedal, 3 potis for swell and 3 potis for great in red color, for Treble, middle and bass.
    You must fixe a Pedal tone and a manual tone and then adjust the bass. I dont now what poti for bass, the left or the right,just you taste it.
    Chris.

Comment

Sorry, the Johannus opus 220 has only 2 potentiometers for Peda treble and bassl, 2 for Swell and 2 for great.
      The opus 230 has 3 potis.

Comment

Thanks for reply Chris. I know I can open the organ in the front and there is a view on the componentside, were there is possible to do some adjustment. The service manual talks about different P1 - P8 adjustments. One of them is P6 - bass adjustment for the bass amplifier. Maybe this is the one? I do not want to make any tuning on the sound!!!

There are two service manuals, - one for the older OPUS 220 models from 1982, and the OPUS 220 I have from 1985. The diagram for potis adjustment looks similar. So if anybody out there has one af the service manuals, maybe they can advise Me?
        I do not know how to insert image - sorry.

I think the model I have has a better reverb-unit without any noise.

Best
        Arne D.

Comment

Diagram

Here is the diagram for adjustments - I hope.
          Attached Files

Comment

Yes, potentiometer 1 is for great and pedal and potentiometer 6 is for swell . This potrntiometers you must adjust on the other Voices.
            But, drive the potis carefull, and step by step.
            Chris

- - - Updated - - -

Arned, if you need for your Johannus the chips: TMS 3617= tone frequence oscillators and frequence separators for this organ, i have many of them and can send it to you if you need this microchips, as replacements.
            And all other chips from the diagram, you can have for free!
            Good luck and best regards Chris

Comment

Hi Arne,

I serviced an Opus 230 just a couple of days ago. It too was seriously lacking in bass, especially the lowest 6 or 8 notes on the 16' flues.

Part of the issue is in the speakers and the cavity they are placed in. They are just not designed to to produce bass tone effectively. The amps also are marginal.

I suppose you could try to boost the treble volume, but you may find other pedal stops, as well as the treble of the bass stops will become too loud.

You could also try designing a bass speaker, that is more linesr in the bass region, and is also efficient.

The ultimate solution to get better sound where you want it, is get yourself a better instrument.

I have never been impressed with that vintage Johannus, even if they sold boat loads of them.

AV

Comment

Thank's for the reply's.
                Some time ago I did hear another johannus Opus 220, that also had low bass, in the lower end of 16'. So I think this is the way the Opus organs are?
                Maybe I should connect a passiv sub to the external speaker octal socket.
                Using earphones there is plenty of bass in the lower end.
                Best -
                arned

Comment

Originally posted by arned View Post
                  Thank's for the reply's.
                  Some time ago I did hear another johannus Opus 220, that also had low bass, in the lower end of 16'. So I think this is the way the Opus organs are?
                  Maybe I should connect a passiv sub to the external speaker octal socket.
                  Using earphones there is plenty of bass in the lower end.
                  Best -
                  arned
                  Hi,

Those Opus models pretty much had lousy or poor tonal definition in the 16' flue stops through internal speakers. Just part of the design. I suppose you could try connecting some efficient speakers with good frequency response. But doing that tends to be experimental, unless yiu have a good sense of what organ audio requires. One other thing, the amps. In those organs are rather light weight in terms of wattage output. Don't try pushing them to much, or they will go down the river pretty quick.

I should add, that weak bottom octaves on 16' flue stops is a common problem of low priced European models made by Johannus, Cantor, Content,Viscount, Galanti and Eminent. Cabinets tended to have small, open area spaces for speakers, 10" or 12" woofers of the cheap variety, when a 15" driver in a proper enclosure would do
                  a better job. But low price, meant more sales, even if the sound was noticeably poorer.

If I were you, live with it, ut try to find youself a better instrument.

AV

Comment

Hello AV - thanks for the advice.
                    I will live with it. There is otherwise no problem with organ. It plays fine, and I can couple the great to pedal, then it works fine. I only are using the organ for practice at home, so i don't have to go to the church every now and then before service. A new instrument cost a lot of money, - and anyway - nothing is like the real pibe organ.

Comment

Hi Arned, i had several Johannus analog organs, so the opus 220, opus 230 and the analog opus 60 with 48 registers:
                      With the AK-4 , they were fine organs. Nice sound for this time of analog organs.
                      ChrisClick image for larger version

Name:	Johannus AK-4 OHE.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	596351

- - - Updated - - -

This was the AK- 4 amplifier and speakers for external sounds of all JOHANNUS analog organs...

Comment

Hello Chris - is the AK-4 for the 4-channel connection?
                        I try'd to connect a active sub to the 4-channel connection, but it does not work. There is not enough signal output. The same goes for an amplifier.
                        Is the 4-channel connection only for special Johannus products?

Comment

HI ARNED; yes it is only for Johannus organs and a 4 channel system ...if you like use for other organs, it is not really compatible.

Comment

Hi,

If I am not mistaken, this is an optional acoustic or reverb system. This signal going to it would be line level.

If you like reverb, it definitely improved the sound of the organ somewhat. But it would not improve the low bass tones.

AV

Comment

Hi arned, this problem is, that the speakers for the bass are too small.
                              I had the same problem with my Johannus opus 230. You can eleminate this problem when you
                              a 15´´ bass speaker used for the bass chanel. Wich gives a very nice 16´stop bass line. However the Subbass16´is generally very quiet in the deep.
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X