This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen organ in Tillamook, Oregon First UMC

I was in Tillamook, Oregon this past weekend for a reunion of old USAF radar site troops and attended worship at the First UMC there. I had been a member and singer in the choir back in 1960-1962. The church has an Allen organ, but it was not used during the service (accompaniment was via piano for that service--don't know if the organ is ever used, but it did have music on the rack). I don't know what model it was, but it had a card reader. This is what it looks like:

DSC_3632.jpg
    by David Casteel, on Flickr and these are the stops:

DSC_3633.jpg
    by David Casteel, on Flickr

DSC_3634.jpg

David

Looks like an ADC 3000 or 3100.

It's a shame if they are not using it-those were decent little organs. I did a concert on one some years ago. With four channel audio, the sound had a nice spread, and the voicing was good.
    Mike

My home organ is a Theatre III with an MDS II MIDI Expander.

Comment

ADC-3100 Played one for four years, nice instrument.
      Allen MOS 1105 (1982)
      Allen ADC 5000 (1985) w/ MDS Expander II (drawer unit)
      Henry Reinich Pipe 2m/29ranks (1908)

Comment

Looks like an ADC-3100 to me too.
        John
        Allen MDS-317 at home / Allen AP-16 at Church / Allen ADC-3100 at the stake center

Comment

Didn't the ADC3100 have Celeste Tuning on both manuals? I'm pretty sure it did. The pictures only show Celeste Tuning on the Great. Could it be a smaller model like the 2100?

Comment

3100 for sure. Too bad it wasn't played in the service. We installed quite a few of these in the 80's, and they can serve a small to medium size church well, and sound wonderful when the acoustics are good.

David, that is the "3rd" type of card reader, the one with the silvery-gray cards. I see that someone has left a card in the slot. Not a good idea, of course, as the heat from the lamps can deform the plastic.

- - - Updated - - -

Radagast, the celeste tuning control for the swell is on one of the tabs in the coupler rail. Hard to see, but it's there. That was the only place they had for it, with the number of drawknobs being limited by the size of the jambs. Certain other divisional controls are in the coupler area as well, but I don't remember just which ones.
            John
            ----------
            *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Thanks, all--I was wondering just what model it was. The roll top had been closed but was not locked, so I opened it to get the photos.

David

Comment

As to the celeste tuning, all the MADC organs had celeste tuning on both keyboards. It was the ADC half-cage organs, I think, that only had it on the swell (ADC-1000, ADC-2000, ADC-3000 and maybe 4000?).

Comment

Originally posted by jbird604 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Radagast, the celeste tuning control for the swell is on one of the tabs in the coupler rail. Hard to see, but it's there. That was the only place they had for it, with the number of drawknobs being limited by the size of the jambs. Certain other divisional controls are in the coupler area as well, but I don't remember just which ones.
                  Right. Thanks for reminding me. I think that was a weird design. Maybe I'm being OCD (I know, if I were really OCD, I'd say CDO), but I think they should have both Celeste tuning controls as either drawknobs, or both as tabs in the coupler rail.

Comment

Originally posted by m&m's View Post
                    Looks like an ADC 3000 or 3100.

It's a shame if they are not using it-those were decent little organs. I did a concert on one some years ago. With four channel audio, the sound had a nice spread, and the voicing was good.
                    I believe the speakers are arrayed in the upper grillwork of the Chancel back. You can see them in this picture (the light was on, when it wasn't supposed to be):

DSC_3616.jpg

There is Choir seating at the right, next to the organ console, but the Choir doesn't sit there--they sit in the front pews. I asked about that and they said the glare from the windows across the way make it too hard to see their music!

David

Comment

A friend of mine had a 3100 here in Thunder Bay but when he moved into a condo he decided to sell it and we ended up placing it in a nice little Roman Catholic Church with a pretty fair accoustic. We voiced it approximately and we both sat down and played...I tried a couple of Bach choral preludes etc and the little organ sounded really good!! The ADC organs could be spectacular when properly set up and voiced, even with only 4 channels!!

Comment

Its not the glare from the windows that's blinding, it their monitor!

Comment

Working...
                        X