This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johannus LiVE

Sounds like a Hauptwerk integration maybe?

You will have to translate to English
    http://www.johannus.com/nl/collectie...merorgels/live
    Allen MOS 1105 (1982)
    Allen ADC 5000 (1985) w/ MDS Expander II (drawer unit)
    Henry Reinich Pipe 2m/29ranks (1908)

"With the 'Johannus LiVE' is finally in the organ's world a new era. No sooner were the classical pipe organ and the advanced digital organ as close to each other approached. Because from now you play directly on the life-like organs of dozens of famous international churches and cathedrals. From Paris, you will fly in an instant via Utrecht to Dresden. From your living room. With the Johannus LiVE."

maybe it is an improvement of the 4 sample sets already included into the Johannus organs. 4 banks (Dutch, German baroque, French "Cavalle-Coll like", romantic "a kind of American style" with four options for each one.

Today Johannus become the European major player into the small organ builders' world besides Allen and Rodgers (if this one stays independent until it is bought by Johannus!) - No very cheap consoles nor very hight quality such as Allen does but they've got a great sound too.

Comment

I like that Johannus lists their prices right there on the website. Why don't the American manufacturers do that?

Comment

You're right! No one American builders play in that way! With the European builders, it's quite clear that they have to tell us what we have to spend to buy an organ, without the options, of course. With Allen and others, impossible to know the bucks you'll pay prior to contact the local dealer… Have they a kind of shame on their prices?

Comment

Folks, this is HUGE! The pics on Facebook definitely show LCD displays above each drawknob! This is the breakthrough that has been needed for 25 years, as we will now be able to see what stop has been assigned to a given knob by a suite, voice pallette, organ type, or sample file, whatever you want to call it.

No more wondering what stop you're actually going to get when you draw that 8' flute (which might be a trumpet or a celeste or a handbell if you're in a voice palette or alternate voicing). This is truly exciting.

Let's hope that this concept spreads to the entire industry!

Pics here, though the text is German:
          https://www.facebook.com/johannus.orgelbouw/
          John
          ----------
          *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

If they are displays and not just a slotted card-holders with interchangeable cards, they look like e-ink displays rather than LCD to me. I'm sure others have looked at adding this to their virtual organs. I know I have. The complexity comes in the circuitry necessary to drive the display of whatever kind, and not so much in the cost of the display itself. I estimate it would cost a DIY hobbiest anywhere from about $15 - $50 per stop plus a lot of woodworking, wiring and custom programming. Cost adds up quickly.

Here are two of the displays I've considered using.
            http://www.adafruit.com/products/1347
            http://www.adafruit.com/products/661
            Last edited by Admin; 11-08-2015, 07:20 AM.
            -Admin

Allen 965
            Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
            Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
            Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

My 17 year-old Rodgers tells me in the "green window" what voice and location in the tone map is selected when I press a tab, so Rodgers (or Allen) could have been the first to do this. Shame on them.

To one-up this, they'll need to support Hauptwerk and get the tab names and display information on-the-fly from Hauptwerk when an organ is selected. I think similar information is already supported by Hauptwerk.
              -- I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic -- 1899 Kimball, Rodgers W5000C, Conn 643, Hammond M3, L-102 - "Let no man belong to another who can belong to himself." (Alterius non sit qui suus esse potest​ -) ​Paracelsus

Comment

I am a German Home-Organist and I sometimes visit this forum.

As you seem to be quite interested in the Johannus LIVE I thought I translate some of the information that already is available from German sources. (The Johannus website, by the way is in Dutch, which is a different language; although both languages have the same roots.) So I just registered to do so. Hope that inspires your Sunday!

I have no business relation to Johannus. I have not heard the organ myself. And I only write what I understand from German sources to my best knowledge. So, some details also may just apply to the European Market. I have not read anything about Non-European Models yet.

The LIVE organ is prepared for five different sample sets. It comes with two sets (of your choice?) and then you can order more sets (at extra costs). You can switch from one set to the other by pushing a buttom and people from yesterday report that to be rather quick.

The concept of the LIVE organ is that the sound is directed at the organist‘s position ond the bench. You can choose to hear what the original organ sounds either at the position of the pipe box or at the consol or in the auditorium or at the church‘s back door. But when you are not sitting on the bench, it will sound differently (less perfect). So, instead of a headphone Johannus seems to have worked with the speakers (some at the side, some at the top, some in the top of the front and some in the main chassis at your knees), to create that impression.

There are already at least four music samples available from a German Dealer‘s website. To me it sounds like a simple non-professional recording. I assume the definite sound experience will be different.

http://www.musikhaus-foerg.de/cms/Sa...E-III/3247.php

I have found a picture of the stop-displays on a black finished console:

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php...1446916283.jpg

Please note: All four are samples of the Silbermann Set. (Might be a shock for US-ears, if you are not familiar with some HW-sets of Silbermann. Please note that what US-organ-makes present as „German Barock“ is at least as far away from the original as is NYC from Boston. And Silbermann is again quite different from Arp Schnitger, not to name South German organ builders.) US-Samples will sound much different....

The above website also names three pipe organs that will be available as sample sets: Bätz Utrecht, Silbermann Dresden, Cavaillè-Coll Paris.
                From online impressions of yesterday‘s Open Day I deduct that more sets are in the pipeline.

And yes, dealer websites in Europe usually quote the price from the official price list and customers will negotiate to get a little bit shaved off. With the Dollar going up against the Euro, prices will be cheaper as US-prices, while Rodgers/Roland/Allen will now be much more expensive for us.

I expect Johannus will complete their online information in the coming days, so you will get much more precise information. You might need to look up their Durch website.

Best regards
                AS

Comment

Oops... I knew Johannus was a Dutch company, but I was just so excited to see this I forgot! Thanks, AS, for the translation and additional information. I look forward to seeing Johannus put up all this on the English-language site.

Perhaps it is e-ink rather than LCD, but what an awesome idea. Only thing that would be better would be having the screen on the knob itself, as so many of us (especially in the US) are accustomed to reading the stop name on the knob. But we could surely get used to looking at the labels, especially since the knobs appear to be quite slender.

Personally, I don't have a lot of use for suites or voice palettes or organ types. Of course, I'm no recitalist, and I do pretty well to take advantage of the 30 or 40 stops I already have. But I can see how useful it would be for an organ to have perhaps four of these "changeable" stops in each division with LCD or e-ink labels. These four knobs or tabs could then be programmed, much the same way as Allen's "Alterable" stops used to be, or as the MIDI tabs or buttons are programmed on today's digitals.

The big difference would be that with these e-ink labels, you wouldn't have to wonder what sound actually lies behind that knob you're about to pull. You could install that specific principal chorus or reed choir you need for a certain piece, or set up your unique percussions or orchestral sounds or solo stops and have them ready to recall at the pull of a knob, with full confidence that the sound will be there because the label says so.

I do hope other builders will follow suit in some way. This is truly a boon to those who are enamored of Hauptwerk but put off by the steep learning curve and setup process.
                  John
                  ----------
                  *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

Comment

Thank you, Arp!
                    -- I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic -- 1899 Kimball, Rodgers W5000C, Conn 643, Hammond M3, L-102 - "Let no man belong to another who can belong to himself." (Alterius non sit qui suus esse potest​ -) ​Paracelsus

Comment

Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
                      Folks, this is HUGE! The pics on Facebook definitely show LCD displays above each drawknob! This is the breakthrough that has been needed for 25 years, as we will now be able to see what stop has been assigned to a given knob by a suite, voice pallette, organ type, or sample file, whatever you want to call it.

No more wondering what stop you're actually going to get when you draw that 8' flute (which might be a trumpet or a celeste or a handbell if you're in a voice palette or alternate voicing). This is truly exciting.

Let's hope that this concept spreads to the entire industry!

Pics here, though the text is German:
                      https://www.facebook.com/johannus.orgelbouw/
                      I agree. It's huge.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Silken Path View Post
                      My 17 year-old Rodgers tells me in the "green window" what voice and location in the tone map is selected when I press a tab, so Rodgers (or Allen) could have been the first to do this. Shame on them.
                      I agree with this also.

Comment

The groundbreaking organ!!!! Yes, at least Johannus is doing the same way Hauptwerk does, in a console! The Thing we are dreaming to…. It's not a Hauptwerk integration but Johannus own samples that are used in LiVE organ. I think the Johannus technicians do the best to achieve this great concept. Are the stops' screens e-Ink powered like e-readers such as the Kindle?

So, no matter what are the sample sets currently available I think in the future the "LiVE library" will be expanded more and more beyond European Organs.
                        Others organs builders work in a similar way today: Viscount with its Physis technology (no sampled) that allows to "program" an infinity of organ definition (not easily than to touch a screen or push a button) with the computer, and others builders;, even Allen, with libraries that can uploaded into the organ to change one or more stops. But LiVE is the first organ to allow the change of sample set with an USB device and store it into the organ's memory. The same way Hauptwerk does, without the software/computer/headache matter….
                        Other though… Could Sonus Paradise and others sample sets publishers would convert their library for the LiVE Organ? Could HW plays the LiVE libraries? I think no because the specific files formats are owned by the companies.But we can have a dream sometime…
                        Other point: Johannus don't display the price for this organ yet… as they do for the Monark series.
                        --- ah ah ah , sorry I just found the price on a German dealer's website! in euros, they ask €21.995…
                        Last edited by allen57301; 11-09-2015, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Yes, it's groundbreaking. And a price of 22 thousand euros seems quite reasonable, comparable to the entry level Allen and Rodgers organs, I suppose, and those don't have moving drawknobs. Of course we don't yet know the physical specs of the model at that price, but Johannus has traditionally given quite a bit of hardware for the money.

Looks like the drawing card is that those who are interested in exploring the vast new world of virtual organs can now begin to do that without all the tinkering required to do it with Hauptwerk or jOrgan or other VPO software. All the while retaining the look and feel of a real hardware organ.

This is still more money than a typical hobbyist may want to spend just for the privilege of having access to multiple sample sets, since one can build an elaborate Hauptwerk setup for a lot less. However, to set up a satisfying Hauptwerk system, you must find yourself an older console and equip it with MIDI, (or use a modern console or kit with MIDI), hook it up to a suitably powerful computer, design and build an appropriate audio system, and configure the whole thing once you've assembled it. Even then, you won't have digital labels on your stops, unless you're content to use computer touch-screens for stop control.

So, yes, this is a big deal. I think Allen and other builders will have to respond in some way. Rodgers will probably have a leg up, given their recent announcement of joint operations with Johannus.
                          John
                          ----------

Comment

Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
                            I think Allen and other builders will have to respond in some way.
                            Yes, they have to do it right now!!!! On the other hand, both US and European main organ builders own a handful of sample set ready for use. For several years, Allen sampled many organs around the world, Rodgers, Viscount, Johannus, etc. took the same way too. No one, however, will buy back a software such as HW or GrandOrgue as they have their own technology to manage their samples and organ. Today, a mere version of Linux can do the job for license free. On the back the technicians must to built a system to control the samples and organ's hardware. Not a rocket science today. Allen MOS I is far away, looking as a (best) antic thing. No one organ isn't all but a computer hidden behind a stack of keyboards.
                            The second great point, of course, is the asking price (in euro, with local Taxes). If you want to built a reasonable midi console, + HW full license + sample sets, asking price should be hight in a final course.
                            Mixtuur, a Dutch company (founded by Johannus former technicians), sells HW ready usable consoles (Intrada series) which plays in the same way that the Johannus LiVE follows today. Others builders in US and Europe made similar concepts.
                            €22k, event $22k is a budget yet but not insurmountable facing the Allen, Rodgers, … prices. On the other hand, Johannus built quality is lower than Allen's. Many of the elements are standards (Fatar keyboards, electronic boards, etc.) Some of them are directly built in the Johannus's facilities in NL but other part come from Asian factories. The way to get lower prices, of course. Johannus is well settled in the Asian Market, we can imagine they make some parts of their organs there.
                            I understand the LiVe come, in first step, into the German and Dutch markets, close from them. But I'll be surprised to find a UK version soon (through their local brand Makin Organs). For US and UK markets, a 32 AGO pedalboard, which isn't standard on Johannus organs, is mandatory!

At least it's entertaining! the digital organ world seems to move to a new border… Thanks to HW, in fact, to draw the path.

Comment

There is now an English video explaining Live:

Out of interest, does anyone know the name of this tune that is being used to demo Live?

http://www.musikhaus-foerg.de/userho...%20Cornett.mp3
                              1971 Allen Organ TC-3S (#42904) w/sequential capture system.
                              Speakers: x1 Model 100 Gyro, x1 Model 105 & x3 Model 108.

Comment

Working...
                              X