X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baldwin c630

Hi,

i have acquired a baldwin c630. We did not receive the external speakers for it. Are there internal speakers in it?

I am curious if someone knows where the wires are that connect to external speakers...I can't seem to locate the output.

Michael

There are internal speakers. There are switches labelled "M" "F" and "E" for Main, Full, and Echo between the keyboards. The "M" button should be depressed for the internal speakers to work.
    The outputs for external amplifiers is below the expression pedal in the rear of the organ. They are pre-amp levels, not speaker outputs.

td
    Servicing electronic organs since 1969.

Comment

The C630 has internal speakers, at least it ought to, unless someone has taken them out for remote mounting. The output for external speakers is on a couple of circular sockets near the center at the bottom. The back panel may have to be removed to see them. The sockets accept Baldwin's special cables that go with this model, one cable carrying the power to the remote amps and the other carrying the various audio signals, this being a 5-channel organ, as I recall.

Of course, if you want to do it you can simply disconnect the internal speakers, each one at its terminal, and wire to external speakers. I believe there are two main channels, which carry an assortment of the stops from each division, plus two "tone expander" channels which carry the same stops but with some phase shifting so that the sound is more "lively" and can even take on a celeste-like character when the Tone Expander and Celeste tabs are turned on. Finally, I believe there is a bass channel.

The first four can be connected to any reasonably good full-range speaker cabinet. The internals are just 6x9" speakers on the expander channels and 12" speakers (or maybe some smaller ones) on the main channels. The bass channel needs a hefty 15" woofer.

There is a set of volume pots for the five channels, but these are hidden behind the wooden block at the left end of the keyboard stack. You have to remove a couple of screw from underneath to tip it out of the way.
      -----------------------------------------------------------

................. As is often the case, Dave was typing at the same time I was, and has said what I meant to say in far fewer words!
      John
      ----------
      *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Actually John, I could have answered the OP's questions in two words. Yes. Yes.

td

Comment

Yep............... ;-)
          John
          ----------
          *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Thank you for the help so far but I think I will some more. I can't seem to locate any internal speakers. I have taken some photos...perhaps you could confirm that they are missing by the photos.

Can anyone direct me to how I could wire in new internal speakers.

OR

could someone tell me what the wiring code is for the 6 prong external plug so that I could make a new one.

I'm dying to get this thing to make sound.

Michael

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1095.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	597882Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1096.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	597883Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1097.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	597884Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1098.jpg
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	597885Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1099.jpg
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	597886

Comment

You have a model C-631 which has no amplifiers or speakers. You will have to take the 5 line level outputs into external amplifiers and speakers.
              Do you have at least one power amplifier and speaker available for testing?
              The outputs on the Echo and Main 7 pin plugs are:
              1. Pedal
              2. Manual #1
              3. Manual #2
              4. Tone expander #1
              5. Tone expander #2
              6. No connection
              7. Audio ground

The 6 pin sockets are 120 volt AC power only, no audio.

td
              Last edited by tucsondave; 11-20-2015, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Thanks for this. I feel I am very close.

I do not have any of the Baldwin speakers for this organ.

I do have a guitar amp?
                I do have some regular speakers without an amp?

Is there a way to use either of these?

Michael

Originally posted by tucsondave View Post
                You have a model C-631 which has no amplifiers or speakers. You will have to take the 5 line level outputs into external amplifiers and speakers.
                Do you have at least one power amplifier and speaker available for testing?
                The outputs on the Echo and Main 7 pin plugs are:
                1. Pedal
                2. Manual #1
                3. Manual #2
                4. Tone expander #1
                5. Tone expander #2
                6. No connection
                7. Audio ground

The 6 pin sockets are 120 volt AC power only, no audio.

td

Comment

If the guitar amp has a line level input or input attenuation then you can use it to test each channel of the organ. You could also use a couple of passive mixers to feed all 5 channels into the guitar amp. An active mixer could be used instead.
                  There are no volume controls inside the 631 organ.

Your speakers will need amps in order to use them with this organ.

td

Comment

For the Manual 1&2 and Tone expander 1&2, are the 1 and 2 like Left and right for Manual and tone expander channels?

Comment

Some voices go to #1, other voices to #2.

td

Comment

Thanks Dave. So I hooked it up through a mixer to our guitar amp and sound!

So on to the next set of questions since I know next to nothing about these organs.

It has buttons 1,2,3,C What do they do?
                        It has buttons M, F, E: I am assuming M is main out put, E is Echo output, what is the F?

There are 3 sets of stops: Pedal, Swell, Great and one not labeled (with vibrato/tone expanders, reverb). None of the stops seem to do anything, is there something I need to do to get the stops to work?

Michael

Comment

1,2,&3 are preset registrations. For example: #1 is swell Bourdon 8', Great Hohlflote 8', and pedal Gedeckt 16'.
                          "C" is cancel. It returns control to the tabs. If 1, 2, or 3 is pressed then the voice stop tabs will have no effect.

"F" is Full. Both main and echo are turned on.

Baldwin calls the vibrato, tone expander, etc. tabs "function tabs." Some organs refer to them ans "generals." They do not produce any sound but alter whatever voices are on.

IF "C" and "F" are pressed then you should get sound whenever a swell, great, or pedal tab is active.

td

Comment

Thanks again.

How will it affect things if I only have the output from the Main connected and not the Echo output?

Comment

No difference, they are identical.

td

Comment

Working...
                              X