This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Church Searching for New Small Organ

The Music Committee is searching for a small organ for a small church of less than 100 in a small building. We have seen and heard an Allen C16, which we liked. Does anyone know how much these organs sell for and are any of these organs available as pre-owned instruments?

Originally posted by SDR View Post
    The Music Committee is searching for a small organ for a small church of less than 100 in a small building. We have seen and heard an Allen C16, which we liked. Does anyone know how much these organs sell for and are any of these organs available as pre-owned instruments?
    Have you tried looking for used Allens on EBay? Try here:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...gan&_sacat=619

Comment

The Music Committee is searching for a small organ for a small church of less than 100 in a small building.
      In addition, if we know what state you're located in, perhaps we could even help find something near you.

Best of luck in your search.

Michael

P.S. Welcome to the Forum!
      Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
      • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Where are you located? This decision is probably going to be made tomorrow. Could you send information about the organs you have and how we could contact you?

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to answer your questions: North Carolina Coastal region.

Comment

You can also look around and see if any churches have a Moller artiste-style self contained pipe organ! 3-5 soft ranks would work well in a small room like that, and can be connected to electronics without a whole lot of fuss for some extra voices.
          Luke S.
          Conn 652, Schleicher and Sons baby grand piano, Yamaha PSR-260 electronic keyboard

Comment

Where are you located? This decision is probably going to be made tomorrow. Could you send information about the organs you have and how we could contact you?
            SDR,

I apologize, I probably should have disclosed to you--I'm not a dealer nor do I have organs to sell. I'm just an organist who is committed to re-using and recycling older Allens that have years left on them, and like to match needy people and churches with available Allens, since that's the instrument I know best. Since your decision is probably being made tomorrow, I doubt any of us can be of assistance to you, however, if it is the CF-16 organ (Chancel Series), then the website discloses they start at $17,000 and go up from there. I'd guess maybe another $5,000 or more would be close.

My offer to help relates to used organs. I have seen at least 1 or 2 Chancel series organs recently on *Bay and *raigsList, but your church doesn't have the time for that. Currently, there's a used organ on *Bay in New Jersey for $2,500, but you could probably offer a bit less.

Best wishes with your purchase. Please keep us abreast of your purchase decision and how it works out for your church.

Michael
            • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

Comment

There are several good used Allens for sale on ebay right now. My preference would be the MDS-8 but the seller is asking too much for it but I see the listing says "or best offer". Personally, I would not buy any Allen MOS 1 or MOS 2 organ which were built in the '70s as the ADC, MDS, and Renaissance models have so much better sound quality. I have nothing to sell you--am not a dealer. Feel free to contact me.

Comment

Check these out:

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/5311964123.html
                https://orlando.craigslist.org/msg/5291212810.html

I checkout only a few SE cities. You might want to check out other cities. The two listing above have been up for a while. So, if you are interested, negotiate.

Comment

I saw the atlanta CL and since the price seems so good, why do you think it is still listed??

Comment

Does the ADC 420 have a card reader?

flashguy

Comment

No, the ADC 420 is really "MADC" and is one of the original MADC models with the single tone generator board. Outputs only two audio channels and has no provision for adding a card reader. I had a 420 as my home practice organ for a year or so, and I enjoyed it very much. Finally sold it to a small church, and they love it. These organs have the real "ADC" sound -- quite well developed, with good attack sounds, including a nice chiff, mixtures in all divisions, authentic couplers, a fine celeste in the swell, and good reeds. The chimes were optional, but on the models that have chimes they are quite good too, more realistic and pleasing than on the MOS organs.

Except for the factory preset pistons on this one, this little organ comes pretty close to being as useful musically as the newer and more expensive MDS and AP models of similar size and stoplist. One drawback is the division of the stops into only two groups, so really detailed voicing is not possible, though the default balances are usually OK. You just don't have the option of bringing up individual stops if you want to.
                      John
                      ----------
                      *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Originally posted by Horseshoe_or View Post
                        Check these out:

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/5311964123.html
                        https://orlando.craigslist.org/msg/5291212810.html

I checkout only a few SE cities. You might want to check out other cities. The two listing above have been up for a while. So, if you are interested, negotiate.
                        The first listing is mislabeled. The organ in the picture is not a Quantum Allen. It has rocker tabs. It might have Allen Renaissance tone generation, but I didn't see a model number. There is an Allen AP-2 on EBay right now. I forget whether this has MDS or Renaissance tone generation. It's a pretty limited model though, with a "princess" pedalboard instead of AGO.

Comment

Oddly enough, I do find a model that looks like that on the Allen tech site, and it is called a "Quantum" ... it's the QL-120. I was also not aware that any Quantum models had the lighted rocker tabs, but there they are. There are a whole series of them, including three manual with either internal or external speakers.

The current model lineup doesn't include these QL models, best I can tell. Of course, dealers may still have them in stock, given that a dealer can sometimes have one on the floor for years before selling it.

Stranger still, WHY did this person pay $23K for an extremely nice home organ -- and going by the pics, this is in the home of an actual organist with piles of music, and a very nice home at that -- and after just one month of ownership turn around and put it on craigslist for $9K? There must be a story behind that.

Sure wish I had $9K to spare at the moment. That looks like the organ of a lifetime for me. My search for the perfect home organ would be over!
                          John
                          ----------
                          *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

It may be that the organ has sold but the lister did not delete the listing. It maybe that no one has been looking on cl for that type of instrument. I may be that it is just beyond the budget of an organ student. It could be that that model has Allens princes pedal board, perfectly usable for your needs but not for professional organist or students to use for practice. There could be lots of reasons. Send a reply to the lister and see what the reply is. It does seem like a good price for that model but if it is still available, I would make an offer that is lower than the asking price to start with.

- - - Updated - - -

As best as I can tell from the pictures, it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
                              My search for the perfect home organ would be over!
                              I'll believe THAT one when I see it! John, you should have that engraved on your tombstone.

Back to the OP, it sorta sounds like they're interested in a new organ only. While I probably wouldn't recommend that for a smaller church, perhaps they have an endowment for the purpose of purchasing the organ and are doing "due diligence" before making a purchase. Either way, it's their decision what to purchase. You guys have had some great suggestions, though!

Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X