This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen ADC 2000

Ok so this may sound like an odd request. I am looking for a card reader system to add to our allen at church. It marked "prepared for" on all of the alterable controls. There is a slot cut for the card reader. I believe this unit was built circa 1983 and had it installed in 1985. I am also looking to add 2 more ?DAC? cards which should allow for 2 more channels of audio. We have 4 HC12's and only 2 channels. Anyone who could help "better" this beast in or around Allentown, without getting Allen to involved let me know. We are on a tight budget and can not afford a new organ so we will try to make this one sound better. Mostly likely I will end up paying for the changes anyhow.</P>

Thanks</P>

Chris</P>

Re: Allen ADC 2000

Good luck. It's very unlikely you are going to find one of these, I've never seen a card reader module on ebay. What you need consists of: the reader module itself, its power supply which is a huge overengineered affair, typical for Allen, it alone looks like something they'd charge you 700-1000 for. Then the alterable voice board to go into your cage, and possibly a new chip for the multiplexer. I can't say for sure Allen would or wouldn't sell you all of these parts, but they probably aren't interested in supplying parts to improve old organ when they need them to fix organs that already had those parts.

Cheaper and much less hassle would be finding a sympathetic dealer who will order the Allen ADC Midi kit for you, which was 700 when I bought it. A dealer will typically charge 500 or so to install it but it comes with directions and a reasonably technical person can figure it out. Then buy an organ sound module, or use a PC running hauptwerk. Really, this is a more feasible plan than trying to sonically improve your Allen with the erstwhile technology. Especially since you aren't making headway with finding the 4 channels I still have trouble believing it doesn't have. (A TG board did a maximum of sixteen stops, and always had "two sides" to the EPROM circuitry that were seperately output. If your organ has more than 16 stops, which I think it does, it had to have 2 boards, 2 set of EPROMs, and thus 4 channels. Unless things were very different for the earlier ADC era.

Allen ADC organs send an encoded, serial signal from the multiplexers to tone boards. You can't just willy-nilly add tone modules without reprogramming the multiplexer to know what's on the other end of the line, so to speak. In other words, it's impossible unless you figured out how the EPROM was programmed and could reprogram it yourself - arcane knowledge these days.

OK Chrisemtpa. No more help unless you email me offline...I'm worried Allen stormtroopers might come get me for giving away too many details on their old technology hahahaha.

Comment

The previous is absolutely right. Even with more channels and/or card reader there will not be a significant improvement. However Midi is a different story. Get the Midi kit and have it installed by a qualified serviceman unless you are proficient yourself. You can then add Haupwerk, other synthesizers and even real pipe. I have 5 synthesizers and 6 ranks of pipe on my older MOS Allen.</P>

Comment

Well then i guess it is time to look into midi then. Thanks for all the help folks.</P>

Onto my Kilgen 4 rank organ.</P>

Thanks</P>

Chris</P>

Comment

Working...
        X