X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conn 904

Hi.
    I am new to this forum. I wonder if anyone has any info on the Conn 904 organ. Anything would be of interest. I owned one (or part of one) and would like to write it up on my website. (Www.mickberg.com.)
    Thanks,
    Mick Berg.

Don't have anything on a 904....but I do have a full functioning Conn Custom 905. What kind of info are you trying to locate? BTW if you acquired that 904 out of San Diego....then George or Wayne of Organ Stop Inc. were probably the ones that sold it.
    Also, How did you midi-ze your keys and stops on the 904...I thought about doing the same thing to my 905
    Attached Files

Comment

I had no idea Conn ever made a drawknob console! How many exist? And when were they built??
      Allen MOS 1105 (1982)
      Allen ADC 5000 (1985) w/ MDS Expander II (drawer unit)
      Henry Reinich Pipe 2m/29ranks (1908)

Comment

Originally posted by organman95 View Post
        I had no idea Conn ever made a drawknob console! How many exist? And when were they built??
        Hmmmm...I know of only mine to be existing and working...as a drawknob organ......in the US. As far as how many produced...maybe a handful or two. Mine was manufactured in 1978.
        The bigger question is........what ever happened to that great big custom concert organ that Conn built???

Here is a video of my 905 just before I removed it from the church.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxdYLFR6sxU
        Last edited by Hamman; 04-01-2016, 01:25 PM.

Comment

I saw a Conn 3-manual drawknob console at the NAMM show around 1976--very impressive looking. I believe the console shell was built by Klann for Conn. I suspect these were all custom ordered, but I have a demo LP record of a 3-manual drawknob Conn, so I suspect they built more than a few.

As to the "great big custom concert organ that Conn built" are you talking theatre or classical?

Comment

Originally posted by toodles View Post
            As to the "great big custom concert organ that Conn built" are you talking theatre or classical?
            A classical organ...huge console
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hamman View Post
              Don't have anything on a 904....but I do have a full functioning Conn Custom 905. What kind of info are you trying to locate? BTW if you acquired that 904 out of San Diego....then George or Wayne of Organ Stop Inc. were probably the ones that sold it.
              Also, How did you midi-ze your keys and stops on the 904...I thought about doing the same thing to my 905
              Hi. There's a full description on my website. I never got the console, it was destroyed in a fire. I bought the organ from Bob Knight, who made cymbalsterns. I midified the console. Plenty of info on the website and more to come.
              Cheers,
              Mick

Comment

Bob Knight is an excellent organ technician and a real gentleman.

Comment

I would like to know prices, any sales literature from Conn, pictures of the generator rack as sold by Conn, etc. Pictures of your 905 would be much appreciated.
                  Are you happy with the sound? I was not, and went to soundfont audio. I seem to remember that if you engaged the Choir Tremulant the Great stops that shared those oscillators would also tremulate. Maybe something was done wrong when it was rebuilt
                  If you are thinking of going MIDI you should avoid that 65 volt keying voltage. Terrifying!
                  Mick

Comment

Hmmmm...I know of only mine to be existing and working...as a drawknob organ......in the US. As far as how many produced...maybe a handful or two. Mine was manufactured in 1978.
                    The bigger question is........what ever happened to that great big custom concert organ that Conn built???

Not a bad sound, from what I could tell. Assuming Conn never moved past oscillators? (my knowledge of Conn, Gulbransen, etc. is limited.)
                    Allen MOS 1105 (1982)
                    Allen ADC 5000 (1985) w/ MDS Expander II (drawer unit)
                    Henry Reinich Pipe 2m/29ranks (1908)

Comment

Your 905 sounds pretty good in the video. Mine probably had problems, it was in such a mess. I favor the Baroque sound and use a Silbermann sample set. I don't think Conn ever got into digital.
                      Mick

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Menschenstimme View Post
                      Bob Knight is an excellent organ technician and a real gentleman.
                      Yes, it's a long time ago but I remember that Bob was very generous and helpful, and personally delivered the organ and lots of extra stuff from San Diego to the SFV at no extra charge.
                      Mick

Comment

That's a whole lot of speaker pipes!
                        It would be interesting to know how they assigned to which voice.
                        Too excited to put my shoes on!
                        conn 830 and conn 621-F several harps and a piano.:-B:-B

Comment

In my opinion, Rodgers took analog organ technology just about as far as it was possible to go in their last analog organs (the LED stop tab organs, plus 760, 830, 890, and 925 for examples). Compared to Allen digital organs of the same period (ADC and MADC models), each had some pluses and minuses to their sound. I don't think Conn ever achieved the level of analog sophistication that Rodgers did. On some of the last models of Rodgers, reed notes were filtered in very small groups to get excellent scaling and tonal control.

After Conn was purchased by Kimball they may have included some frequency dividers--I am not sure; these were models of the 653 era.

Comment

Conn used TOS divider-based tone generators for the tuned percussion and celestes in the higher-end mid-70s models (635/644/716/652), even before the Kimball acquisition.

Definitely agreed on the Rodgers analog technology. I remember attending the 1975 NAMM show and being astounded by how much better the Rodgers models sounded than the Conns (I worked at a dealer for the latter). Of course, they were also much more expensive...

--- Tom
                            Rodgers 660 with additional analog rack sets (practice), 36D/C in digital conversion, Yamaha CVP-107

Comment

Tom:

I attended that NAMM show, too! What a coincidence! :-> My first one. I was working at Thomas at the time as an engineer. A year later I heard the Rodgers with pipes and was amazed at how good those organs sounded.

Toodles

Comment

Working...
                              X