This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen HC-12 speakers

Mine need to be re-foamed. Has anyone this before? Where di you get the foam surrounds?</P>

</P>

Matt.</P>

</P>

Re: Allen HC-12 speakers

Matt,</P>

There is a speakerre-coning shop in most cities of any size. Our little town of 40,000 has a guy who does it. I think I paid$40 or$50 for the last one I had done.</P>

You can buy the foam from a number of on-line suppliers. I think MCM Electronics is one source. However, it falls somewhere between rocket science and brain surgery to get the cones, coils, and other moving parts properly centered and the foam cemented in. Also, if the foam has rotted out to the extent that the voice coil is rubbing the magnet, you may need to have the entire structure replaced, cone, coil, spider, and foam. That costsa little more than the simple foam job. I normally get the full job unless I've rescued the speaker when it was only beginning to rot, with just a few gaps in the foam. If it has begun to rattle, I get the whole shebang.</P>

I am an organ technician, so I obviously see this problem all the time. I've tried other fixes, such as replacing the entire unit with various kinds of commercial drivers. I have some wholesale suppliers where I can buy a very good foam-surround 15" woofer for about $60 or so.You can probably find some on-line sources that will sell you one for about the same price.But I like the idea of recycling and I am also certain of retaining the exact sonic characteristics by having the driver repaired rather than replaced. But I have done it both ways.</P>

John Birdsong</P>
    John
    ----------
    *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Re: Allen HC-12 speakers

My 2 cents. I ordered some kits from parts express. I had a cousin helping me out at my warehouse and I gave him the kits told him to read the instructions and go to town.</P>

He had never taken a speaker apart before. He didten 15" spkrs for HC-12 cabs and they all worked wonderfully. So "Rocket Surgery" ? I don't agree</P>

Chris</P>

Comment

Working...
      X