X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John,

Well, I think I have tried everything that you suggested at this point:

Adjusted CR Power Supply voltage from 6.5 volts to 9.5 volts in roughly 1 volt increments - No Improvement. However, below 7 volts it essentially stopped reading the cards entirely.

Unplugged and then plugged back in all connectors going into the AV-1 Board - No improvement

Unplugged and then plugged back in all connectors going into the CM-1 and CM-2 Boards - No improvement.

Again, removed Card Reader, disassembled and thoroughly cleaned even the light bulbs themselves and reinstalled - No improvement. I also ensured that each light bulb is at the same height.

What's really odd about this concern is that it will suddenly read a card correctly, especially when initially turning the unit on. However, after trying a few more cards, it then becomes erratic and mis-reads cards. Primarily, it is the sustain aspect of the tone that is being mis-read. The pipe stop cards will not sustain. After depressing and holding down a key, the tone sounds and then decays to no sound.

About the only potential lead I have at this point is that one bulb of the Card Reader did stop working at least 3 times through all of my trials. Please note that this occurred twice before ever removing and dissembling the Card Reader. I simply apply light contact on the connectors of the faulting bulb and then it starts working again. However, the light bulb not working does not seem to follow the concern. That is to say, the problem occurs even when the faulting light bulb is working. Perhaps that single bulb is simply not as bright as the other bulbs which results in the erratic behavior - this is not apparent from the back side of the bulb.

At this point, the only next step that I have is either to re-solder the faulting bulb or replace it.

What is the best source for these bulbs other than the Allen Organ Company?

Do you know the specific type of bulb that it is? I was unable to see part numbers on the bulbs.

Any other thoughts on what could be happening?

Is the AV-1 Board only for the Alterables Division, since the only aspect of the organ that is clearly not functioning correctly is the Alterables feature? If so, could the AV-1 Board be the problem? I hope not since it sounds like it is expensive to replace. How would that cost compare to a new Card Reader?

Greatly appreciate any further thoughts that you may have.

Much thanks,
    Bachnuss
    Last edited by bachnuss; 11-25-2016, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Let's hope you don't need to replace either the card reader or the AV-1 board, as both are probably very expensive. But I'd certainly resolder or replace that lamp. Could well be the problem, as it might appear to be burning, and then go out in the time it takes to insert and remove a card, thus giving a faulty reading of the card.

It's a generic #8640 lamp. You can probably get a pack of 10 somewhere for a few dollars.
      John
      ----------
      *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

I'm not positive the MADC reader works the same way, but the MOS and ADC readers actually read the card when it is being removed, not when it is inserted, so it is desirable to pull the cards out smoothly.

David

Comment

I have been replacing all of the lamps with LEDs for some time now to get around the lamp problems. The LEDs will insure a fixed brightness to all the phototransistors with little regard to the power supply setting. Have not seen many other problems with these readers. Hope this helps.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Pipeorganbuilder View Post
            I have been replacing all of the lamps with LEDs for some time now to get around the lamp problems. The LEDs will insure a fixed brightness to all the phototransistors with little regard to the power supply setting. Have not seen many other problems with these readers. Hope this helps.
            Michael2,

Do you have a part number or supplier for the LED replacements?

Michael1;-)
            Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
            • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
            • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
            • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Sure. Let me look in my note and I will post. I buy them 1000 at a time.

Michael2 lol

Comment

Originally posted by Pipeorganbuilder View Post
                Sure. Let me look in my note and I will post. I buy them 1000 at a time.
                I'm not sure that'll be enough, but it'll be a start.;-)
                • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

Comment

I bought an LED conversion kit from Harrison Labs and was going to do it recently when we had a card reader problem out in a church. When I realized it called for drilling out the lamp holes a little bigger, as well as soldering in resistors in series with each LED, I decided it was too much work, and I just replaced a couple of lamps and let it go at that.

Of course, if we hadn't been 3 hours from home and pressed for time, and with a drill already set up and handy, it would've been a different story. Probably a very good thing to do for your own organ.

And our forum member may have access to a type of LED that doesn't require drilling out the holes.
                  John
                  ----------
                  *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

Comment

The LEDs that I use do not require any drilling. They are exactly the size of the old lamps. Will get back with the specs and part numbers.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
                      Let's hope you don't need to replace either the card reader or the AV-1 board, as both are probably very expensive. But I'd certainly resolder or replace that lamp. Could well be the problem, as it might appear to be burning, and then go out in the time it takes to insert and remove a card, thus giving a faulty reading of the card.

It's a generic #8640 lamp. You can probably get a pack of 10 somewhere for a few dollars.

John,

Thanks for the info.

Well, after all that I did and after reinstalling the back cover of the console, the Alterables Division is again working perfectly.

I did order those bulbs and should have them in roughly a week.

Regardless of current status, I plan on replacing the one light bulb that faulted a few times. I'm' guessing that it must be the culprit and it will eventually fault again.

Again, I have learned much from the experience, especially through the advice of you and others.

I will update the post when I have completed the bulb replacement.

I am curious about the Harrison Lab LED kit. If the Card Reader faults again and it's not the bulb, I may send the unit to the Harrison Lab for their diagnostics on the Card Reader. It may be one of the photocells that are faulting, as well. Harrison Lab indicated that Allen Organ no longer carries the replacement photocells for the ADC Card Reader. However, they offer a compatible replacement.

Well, we see what happens after replacing the bulb. At present, the system works perfectly.

Much thanks,
                      Bachnuss

Comment

Good plan. Did you look at the leads on the semi-faulty lamp? Could be that they are not firmly soldered, or perhaps a cold solder joint.

In all these years of servicing Allen, I don't recall replacing more than one card reader of any kind. They seem to be very reliable except for the lamps, which are a pain. Replacing them all with LEDs is probably a great idea and should put an end to lamp troubles forever.
                        John
                        ----------

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
                          Michael2,

Do you have a part number or supplier for the LED replacements?

Michael1;-)
                          The LEDs are 3mm T1 super bright white and use a 1K 1/4 watt resistor in series with one lead. http://www.digikey.com sell them their part number is 365-1467-ND. The resistor part number is CF14JT1K20TR-ND. The LED is polarity sensitive so make sure that the long lead goes to the "+" on the board and the resistor will be soldered to the "-" on the board and then to the remaining short lead of the LED.

I bought my LEDs and resistors off Ebay. I have been relamping all of the Allen card readers that I service for years with this setup. Sure stops the head aches of the old lamps dropping out.

Michael

Comment

Excellent information, Michael2. Thank you for sharing it.

Michael1

P.S. I figure if the Bible can have 2 Timothys and 4 Johns....

Comment

In the midst of trying to decide what to do with my MDS card reader, I found this thread and tried to look up the parts on DigiKey to no avail. Apparently they must have been discontinued at their site.

However, I do have a more elegant solution that I thought worth bringing this thread back for. You can purchase 10 of the same style and size LED but they also have an internal 1k resistor, so literally all you need to do is bend the leads and install them in the existing holes. Should be almost as easy as the original bulbs.

I might try this since the 10 pack is $14 shipped. Now to figure out whether bulb or dome shape makes more sense?

https://www.amazon.com/12-Volt-LEDs-...r+bright+white

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VOLJB36..._t1_B00RRBPJ4M
                              Corey

Allen MDS-41-S with MIDI-DIVISION-II
                              Schulmerich Carillon Americana - 61 notes Flemish / Harp / Celesta / Quadra / Minor Tierce
                              - MIDI Retrofit finally underway & Moller console in need of refurbishment
                              Schulmerich Campanile Digital Carillon (Cast & Harp)

Comment

Those look like the perfect solution. Check the measurements and be sure they will fit into the holes though. Please post your results.
                                John
                                ----------

Comment

Working...
                                X