This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
    Those look like the perfect solution. Check the measurements and be sure they will fit into the holes though. Please post your results.
    I'm a bit apprehensive if only for the fact that I'm starting with a compromised system. I wish I had one spare bulb to fix the reader first before experimenting into uncharted territory. The carillon systems always had a few extra of each small service part (tie wires for rods, fuses, strikers, etc.), shame that Allen didn't take to that policy.
    Corey

Allen MDS-41-S with MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Schulmerich Carillon Americana - 61 notes Flemish / Harp / Celesta / Quadra / Minor Tierce
    - MIDI Retrofit finally underway & Moller console in need of refurbishment
    Schulmerich Campanile Digital Carillon (Cast & Harp)

Comment

Yes, you do need to get it working before you can experiment with alternative lamps. If only one bulb is out, you might look around for some kind of miniature 12 to 14 volt bulb that draws around 80-100 mA. Back when we had Radio Shack stores everywhere, I used to pick up a miniature 12 volt lamp there in a pinch if I need a card reader lamp and didn't have any. Of course Radio Shack is gone now, though if you happened to have a franchise store in your area it might still have some parts in stock.

As I said somewhere else, it's a common #8640 lamp, available for about 50 cents from numerous sources. Of course the shipping will be a few dollars whether you order one or a hundred. I'd order a dozen and be prepared for any eventuality. Then, once you have it working, you could try the LED route as a permanent solution. Right now, if you put in LEDs and it still doesn't work, you won't know whether it's the LEDs or something else.
      John
      ----------
      *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

I recently purchased a 1985 Allen 3100 which was completely functional and intact. Played it for a while in its stock form. It was pretty dry and fake sounding:( After a lot of research I went on to purchase a Lexicon MX400, wired it in place and tried it in various modes settling on the stereo mode. All I can say is: WOW! what a profound difference!! I re-voiced (via the various Allen computer pots) the balance and volume between stops, set the 4 channel amplifier to 7 across the board and turn a sow's ear into a fine silk purse, happy, happy, happy! I have a total of $2,650.00 tied up in the whole thing including shipping. I couldn't be more pleased. (Big smile)

I also have a 1927 Reuter 3 rank pipe organ, a nice Yamaha piano. I am building a 3 manual Haupwerk console and room for one chair, har!

My first ever "music" video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHsK9NV3gLY
        Attached Files
        Last edited by JohnBoyDeere; 03-04-2018, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the forum JohnBoyDeere ! Nice music room you have there. Kinda small, but well filled. I have an ADC6000 in my home and added reverb to it as well. I went a bit cheaper on the reverbs with Alessis Nanoverbs. But you are correct, it adds so much to an organ in the home.

Looking at your other videos I see you are a mechanic / machinist. I'm a retired mechanic myself, who used to own a truck repair shop. Glad to see more in our "other" professions who are also organists.
          Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), US-1, EL-25 ( Chopped ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755. 1919 Wangerin 2/7 pipe organ.

Comment

Nice work! I'm a fan of the Allen 3100 too, having installed several of them back in the 80's, and then refurbishing some in recent years to place into new homes. Such a nice model, with nearly all the features that people desire most in a 2m organ, while in a manageable size console, and great stops. I agree that adding reverb makes a very big difference in your enjoyment of a digital in the home. In fact, there is a very active thread going on right now about the various reverb units and how best to employ them on an organ.

Nice video too. I can tell the reverb adds a lot to the sound. Your improv is interesting, just the kind of thing that I love to do during communion or at other times when I get to just play what I want.

Your organ room might seem small, but mine is smaller, I'm sure. I'm the guy on this forum who only has an organ "nook" -- when we moved into this smallish house I claimed the little alcove that was intended for a dining table as my music area, so I have my Allen console and speakers, plus a small piano, a desk, and a bookshelf for my hymnals and such all arranged into that little spot.

You should find some good threads on the 3100 and its sibling models. Allen did a nice job with them. There are some useful "undocumented features" as well that you might discover on your own or by reading the threads.
            John
            ----------
            *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

Comment

Thanks John:)
              Feel free to move this post over to the other thread as it is probably better suited there.

I am in search of 9 to 12 Allen draw knob motor assemblies to add to a MOS 1 instrument which has been gutted and expanded into a Hauptwerk console. Any suggestions?

Comment

May be hard to find any Allen drawknobs for sale, since people converting an Allen console to Hauptwerk generally keep the stop action intact. Just keep an eye open on craigslist and ebay I suppose.
                John
                ----------

Comment

Working...
                X