X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jbird604
    replied
    May be hard to find any Allen drawknobs for sale, since people converting an Allen console to Hauptwerk generally keep the stop action intact. Just keep an eye open on craigslist and ebay I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• JohnBoyDeere
    replied
    Thanks John:)
    Feel free to move this post over to the other thread as it is probably better suited there.

I am in search of 9 to 12 Allen draw knob motor assemblies to add to a MOS 1 instrument which has been gutted and expanded into a Hauptwerk console. Any suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• jbird604
    replied
    Nice work! I'm a fan of the Allen 3100 too, having installed several of them back in the 80's, and then refurbishing some in recent years to place into new homes. Such a nice model, with nearly all the features that people desire most in a 2m organ, while in a manageable size console, and great stops. I agree that adding reverb makes a very big difference in your enjoyment of a digital in the home. In fact, there is a very active thread going on right now about the various reverb units and how best to employ them on an organ.

Nice video too. I can tell the reverb adds a lot to the sound. Your improv is interesting, just the kind of thing that I love to do during communion or at other times when I get to just play what I want.

Your organ room might seem small, but mine is smaller, I'm sure. I'm the guy on this forum who only has an organ "nook" -- when we moved into this smallish house I claimed the little alcove that was intended for a dining table as my music area, so I have my Allen console and speakers, plus a small piano, a desk, and a bookshelf for my hymnals and such all arranged into that little spot.

You should find some good threads on the 3100 and its sibling models. Allen did a nice job with them. There are some useful "undocumented features" as well that you might discover on your own or by reading the threads.

Leave a comment:

• Larrytow
    replied
    Welcome to the forum JohnBoyDeere ! Nice music room you have there. Kinda small, but well filled. I have an ADC6000 in my home and added reverb to it as well. I went a bit cheaper on the reverbs with Alessis Nanoverbs. But you are correct, it adds so much to an organ in the home.

Looking at your other videos I see you are a mechanic / machinist. I'm a retired mechanic myself, who used to own a truck repair shop. Glad to see more in our "other" professions who are also organists.

Leave a comment:

• JohnBoyDeere
    replied
    I recently purchased a 1985 Allen 3100 which was completely functional and intact. Played it for a while in its stock form. It was pretty dry and fake sounding:( After a lot of research I went on to purchase a Lexicon MX400, wired it in place and tried it in various modes settling on the stereo mode. All I can say is: WOW! what a profound difference!! I re-voiced (via the various Allen computer pots) the balance and volume between stops, set the 4 channel amplifier to 7 across the board and turn a sow's ear into a fine silk purse, happy, happy, happy! I have a total of $2,650.00 tied up in the whole thing including shipping. I couldn't be more pleased. (Big smile)

I also have a 1927 Reuter 3 rank pipe organ, a nice Yamaha piano. I am building a 3 manual Haupwerk console and room for one chair, har!

My first ever "music" video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHsK9NV3gLY
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JohnBoyDeere; 03-04-2018, 11:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jbird604
    replied
    Yes, you do need to get it working before you can experiment with alternative lamps. If only one bulb is out, you might look around for some kind of miniature 12 to 14 volt bulb that draws around 80-100 mA. Back when we had Radio Shack stores everywhere, I used to pick up a miniature 12 volt lamp there in a pinch if I need a card reader lamp and didn't have any. Of course Radio Shack is gone now, though if you happened to have a franchise store in your area it might still have some parts in stock.

As I said somewhere else, it's a common #8640 lamp, available for about 50 cents from numerous sources. Of course the shipping will be a few dollars whether you order one or a hundred. I'd order a dozen and be prepared for any eventuality. Then, once you have it working, you could try the LED route as a permanent solution. Right now, if you put in LEDs and it still doesn't work, you won't know whether it's the LEDs or something else.

Leave a comment:

• CarillonBells
    replied
    Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
    Those look like the perfect solution. Check the measurements and be sure they will fit into the holes though. Please post your results.
    I'm a bit apprehensive if only for the fact that I'm starting with a compromised system. I wish I had one spare bulb to fix the reader first before experimenting into uncharted territory. The carillon systems always had a few extra of each small service part (tie wires for rods, fuses, strikers, etc.), shame that Allen didn't take to that policy.

Leave a comment:

• jbird604
    replied
    Those look like the perfect solution. Check the measurements and be sure they will fit into the holes though. Please post your results.

Leave a comment:

• CarillonBells
    replied
    In the midst of trying to decide what to do with my MDS card reader, I found this thread and tried to look up the parts on DigiKey to no avail. Apparently they must have been discontinued at their site.

However, I do have a more elegant solution that I thought worth bringing this thread back for. You can purchase 10 of the same style and size LED but they also have an internal 1k resistor, so literally all you need to do is bend the leads and install them in the existing holes. Should be almost as easy as the original bulbs.

I might try this since the 10 pack is $14 shipped. Now to figure out whether bulb or dome shape makes more sense?

https://www.amazon.com/12-Volt-LEDs-...r+bright+white

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VOLJB36..._t1_B00RRBPJ4M

Leave a comment:

• myorgan
    replied
    Excellent information, Michael2. Thank you for sharing it.

Michael1

P.S. I figure if the Bible can have 2 Timothys and 4 Johns....

Leave a comment:

• Pipeorganbuilder
    replied
    Originally posted by myorgan View Post
    Michael2,

Do you have a part number or supplier for the LED replacements?

Michael1;-)
    The LEDs are 3mm T1 super bright white and use a 1K 1/4 watt resistor in series with one lead. http://www.digikey.com sell them their part number is 365-1467-ND. The resistor part number is CF14JT1K20TR-ND. The LED is polarity sensitive so make sure that the long lead goes to the "+" on the board and the resistor will be soldered to the "-" on the board and then to the remaining short lead of the LED.

I bought my LEDs and resistors off Ebay. I have been relamping all of the Allen card readers that I service for years with this setup. Sure stops the head aches of the old lamps dropping out.

Michael

Leave a comment:

• jbird604
    replied
    Good plan. Did you look at the leads on the semi-faulty lamp? Could be that they are not firmly soldered, or perhaps a cold solder joint.

In all these years of servicing Allen, I don't recall replacing more than one card reader of any kind. They seem to be very reliable except for the lamps, which are a pain. Replacing them all with LEDs is probably a great idea and should put an end to lamp troubles forever.

Leave a comment:

• bachnuss
    replied
    Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
    Let's hope you don't need to replace either the card reader or the AV-1 board, as both are probably very expensive. But I'd certainly resolder or replace that lamp. Could well be the problem, as it might appear to be burning, and then go out in the time it takes to insert and remove a card, thus giving a faulty reading of the card.

It's a generic #8640 lamp. You can probably get a pack of 10 somewhere for a few dollars.

John,

Thanks for the info.

Well, after all that I did and after reinstalling the back cover of the console, the Alterables Division is again working perfectly.

I did order those bulbs and should have them in roughly a week.

Regardless of current status, I plan on replacing the one light bulb that faulted a few times. I'm' guessing that it must be the culprit and it will eventually fault again.

Again, I have learned much from the experience, especially through the advice of you and others.

I will update the post when I have completed the bulb replacement.

I am curious about the Harrison Lab LED kit. If the Card Reader faults again and it's not the bulb, I may send the unit to the Harrison Lab for their diagnostics on the Card Reader. It may be one of the photocells that are faulting, as well. Harrison Lab indicated that Allen Organ no longer carries the replacement photocells for the ADC Card Reader. However, they offer a compatible replacement.

Well, we see what happens after replacing the bulb. At present, the system works perfectly.

Much thanks,
    Bachnuss

Leave a comment:

• Pipeorganbuilder
    replied
    The LEDs that I use do not require any drilling. They are exactly the size of the old lamps. Will get back with the specs and part numbers.

Michael

Leave a comment:

• jbird604
    replied
    I bought an LED conversion kit from Harrison Labs and was going to do it recently when we had a card reader problem out in a church. When I realized it called for drilling out the lamp holes a little bigger, as well as soldering in resistors in series with each LED, I decided it was too much work, and I just replaced a couple of lamps and let it go at that.

Of course, if we hadn't been 3 hours from home and pressed for time, and with a drill already set up and handy, it would've been a different story. Probably a very good thing to do for your own organ.

And our forum member may have access to a type of LED that doesn't require drilling out the holes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X