This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahlborn-Galanti SL300

We are considering buying a Ahlborn-Galanti SL300 for our church. It was purchased in Jan. 1999. has 3 manuals, 39 real stops, and full pedal.</P>

How are these organs in terms of sound, reliability, price? </P>

Thanks,</P>

JohnM</P>

Re: Ahlborn-Galanti SL300

John,

The AG SL-300 is a great little organ. I had one as a rental organ for a number of years, and it always garnered compliments as far as sound is concerned.

The overall tonality is classical European.

The ones I sold, had no problems, reliability was excellent. One caveat with this organ and all other AG models of the era, was the pedalboardsteneded to get clattery. Easy to fix. The screws in the tails of the pedals are too short, and have a tendency to work loose. Best is to take all existing screws out, pilot hole the screw hole deeper and put in longer screws.

One thing that you may want to consider if you purchase the instrument. Get the interactive programmer and the RF receiver. Install the receiver in the organ. This allows the organ to be voiced, and you can get the organ to sound much better. The organ can be made to sound quite romantic if re-voiced, but generally sounds best as a classical organ - it certainly does not hve to sound bright and brittle.

Also, if you want the organ to sound really good, with some modifications you can have the organ speaking from 8 channels - 2 for each division. Other improvements can be made to the audio board to improve bass response on the internal speakers.

Around 1999, the cosmetics of this organ improved. The early ones did not look terribly great, looked very plasticy. Still looks like a budget organ though.

As far as price goes, when new they were selling just under $20,000. My guess that a seven year old one should go for well under $10,000. It is still a current model, although most of the AG model lineup uses newer technology. Parts and tech support is excellent on these at this time.

It is a recommended model.

Arie V

Comment

Does it use the same keyboards (manuals) as the Chronicler III? If so, what can one do with the rapid wear in the springing of them? The springs for the "tracker touch" give out with use and then the keys begin to bounce.

Comment

Mark,

The keyboards in the SL series are not the same as in the Chronicler series. They are are cheaper version, but the switching and the tracker touch systems are basically the same.

The tracker touch mechanism is done by a collapsable silicone-rubber bubble.

I am familiar with the A-G line, as I used to sell them, but I still service them. I haven't experienced the problem you describe, but can say the feel of the keyboards do change somewhat over time. Some of the instruments I have in the field are now over 8 years old and played quite a bit.

It is possible some of the earlier Chroniclers had problems, as they did have a different keyboard.

The keyboards in these organs, are made by FATAR, and FATAR is the supplier to just about every volume producer of digital organs. The only company that doesn't use FATAR is Allen, but I heard that they too are coming out with models using FATAR. Basically FATAR makes 2 different types of organ keyboards, and they are tweaked to the various manufacturers specifications. So to say one companies' keyboards are better than another, I would serious doubt it.

If one wants to get custom keyboards for better feel, and maybe longer life span, figure on spending about $2,500 per keyboard extra.

AV

Comment

AV,

Thanks for your response.

Judging from your information I'd be reluctant to buy an organ, even a pipe organ, unless I knew the origin of the keyboards and their track record. I might very well practice several hours a day and would hate to have the keyboards deteriorate.

It makes me appreciate the 1957 Allen at our school. The console is very solid, although it certainly lacks the elegance of an old Casavant or Aeolian-Skinner. The thick, solid-wood facing on wear areas and book-matched veneers almost make up for the prehistoric technology.

Comment

Working...
          X