This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Diagnosing Pedal Problem

At church, I play a Gallanti Praeludium: 3 manuals, AGO-spec (I think) pedal board. I'm trying to figure out if my pedal problem is mechanical, which I might be able to solve, or electronic, which might mean it stays broken.

I was away for 4 weeks over the summer, and our church uses the piano for a more informal service over the summer, anyway, so the organ barely got touched from June 30 to September 1, and when I tried it in September, half the pedals had stopped working.

Exactly half - 16 work, 16 don't. The lowest two keys work, then every key doesn't, then C and C# both don't work, then every other key again, and so on.

Thoughts? Repair person isn't in the budget.

Thanks.

-S-

My Galanti Praeludium II used 2 connectors between the pedalboard and the console--pull the pedalboard out and reseat the connectors and see if that clears it up. Barring that, perhaps a broken wire in the pedalboard cable.

It's probably an electro-mechanical, which is about as easy to fix as it gets.

Comment

Hi,

Amazing! Exactly half the pedals work, and half not.

This is not a pedalboard issue.

Try this..........with the organ on, turn on some pedal stops, or even some manual stops and couple to pedal, then press piston AP. On the Great keyboard, play chromatically up from the lowest note, and see what result you get. You might be surprised!

AV

P.S. another test could be to listen to the organ using headphones.
      Last edited by arie v; 12-01-2016, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toodles View Post
        My Galanti Praeludium II used 2 connectors between the pedalboard and the console--pull the pedalboard out and reseat the connectors and see if that clears it up. Barring that, perhaps a broken wire in the pedalboard cable.

It's probably an electro-mechanical, which is about as easy to fix as it gets.
        Sounds promising. I've already pulled the pedalboard once - where would I see these connectors? I'll need a better flashlight ...

Thanks.

-S-

Comment

At the end of a cable--either on the pedalboard itself or in the console. It's been over 25 years since I had the Galanti, so I don't really remember. Pull the pedalboard farther out.

The P3 might be different than the P2, but probably not. It should really be obvious.

Comment

Arie, are you suggesting that one audio channel is dead?
            John
            ----------
            *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

John,

Yes, I am suggesting that. The pattern of notes that play is exactly that of an audio output. The outputs, 16 of them are arranged in left / right in sort of a C - C# configuration.

AV

Comment

So maybe a cable got pulled off a speaker or out of a jack somewhere. There may be other malfunctions that haven't been noticed yet ...
                John
                ----------
                *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

If that's the case why do both C1 & C#1 work while C2 & C#2 do not?
                  Th OP's description seems a little unclear: "The lowest two keys work, then every key doesn't, then C and C# both don't work, then every other key again, and so on."
                  I would suggest he list each pedal that works.

td
                  Servicing electronic organs since 1969.

Comment

Td,

The original poster I believe did accurately state the pattern of notes going to the audio outputs. If you think about it, there is wisdom in the scheme.

Dollars to donuts, it is not a pedalboard issue, unless the church mouse managed to chew up the switches in that partucular pattern.

AV

Comment

There is a pattern - everything in the 3rd (partial) octave matches the 1st octave; everything in the 2nd octave is reversed.

From left (lowest) pitch to highest, Everything with * after it works; everything else doesn't (blank = no sound)

C - *
                      C#- *
                      D
                      Eb - *
                      E
                      F - *
                      F#
                      G - *
                      G#
                      A - *
                      Bb
                      B - *

C
                      C#
                      D - *
                      Eb
                      E - *
                      F
                      F# - *
                      G
                      G# - *
                      A
                      Bb - *
                      B

C - *
                      C# - *
                      D
                      Eb - *
                      E
                      F - *
                      F#
                      G - *

I'm going to start a second msg to address the way it's wired.

-S-

Comment

This organ could not have, IMHO, possibly been wired in a worse way, nor in a more difficult to maintain way.

The main outputs aren't used. There are 5 pairs of wires from some of the individual rank (?) outputs that run to 3 stereo amps in another room.

The 1/4" mono plugs are all wired with a common ground wire that runs from one plug to the next, just the single wire - crazy not to have a "home run" for each pair of wires, IMHO.

Perhaps most important to mention is that this wiring at the back of the organ is quite fragile - touch it and you get lots more hum and lots less music. So it's quite conceivable that this is where the problem lies, but determining what wire to move and trying to move it without breaking the entire business - now _that_ is a daunting task. I am loath to touch anything there for fear of making it worse, but if I want my pedals to work, it sounds like I might not have any choice in the matter.

-S-

Comment

Posting an update - I went to the back of the organ and tried wiggling the wires for the pedal output, but no luck. Next step will be to pull the pedal board again and see about connectors there.

-S-

Comment

Working...
                          X