Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ADC pipes. Can an Allen ADC organ installation incorporate real pipework.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eaaron
    replied
    Never really looked at the tuning mechanism in our ADC. All 3 cages were at A440 when I installed it so never made an adjustment. But you could sub in a VCI, voltage controlled inductor, instead of a VCA. Same principal just different numbers.

If engineering resources and money are a plenty you could install a real time RTA microphones in the chambers that would key on specific stops and pitches to constantly be adjusting the ADC cage tuning. That of course would be a lot more expensive on the equipment side, but a little simpler on the programing as there would not need to be a large equation to adjust for temperature and humidity. Plus if the pipe ranks were tuned and ended up slightly sharp or flat of target the system would auto compensate.

But then again if I had the money I would buy and refurbish a 60 rank Wurlitzer to put in my house to play whenever I wanted. :->

Erik

Leave a comment:

• toodles
    replied
    I think the tuning on ADC organs is by virtue of an inductor coil rather than a pot--it makes the matter of using a remote sensor to adjust tuning more difficult. Of course all things are possible if enough engineering resources and money can be applied.

Leave a comment:

• eaaron
    replied
    It would be possible to have the Allen shift tune based on relative temperature and humidity. You would have to install a digital temperature and humidity sensor in the chambers that would feed a controller that could adjust the tuning of the cages via VCAs (voltage controlled attenuators). These attenuators would be wired to and take the place of the pots that control the cage tuning.

Of course you would need to keep detailed records of temp and humidity and the tuning drift of the pipes in the space for at least 12-18 months in order to create the auto-adjustment programming. Once that was done you could have the Allen auto track the changes, even in real time when the pipes have that slight shift on a very humid or dry day and the blower/s start cycling air.

Erik

Leave a comment:

• toodles
    replied
    As your question indicates, tuning is the real problem here. The organ can be tuned, but you have to take the back off the console and adjust a tuning coil to do it--that's not readily done while playing. I suppose if the temperature of the installation is extremely stable it might be workable.

As for getting the note on and off info, that could be done via MIDI; you'd need some sort of stop info to control the pipes.

This seems much more easily done with the MDS organs where tuning was adjustable via the console controller and stop info was already encoded into MIDI. You'd proably want some method to turn of the electronic voices, which isn't easily done selectively, but might be handled by audio channel if the organ is disposed to that approach (i.e., the pipe ranks match the stops that are contained within specific audio channels).

Leave a comment:

• ADC pipes. Can an Allen ADC organ installation incorporate real pipework.

Is it possible for an Allen ADC organ installation to incorporate real pipework. Is it limited by the tuning mechanism. Has anybody made this work?
Working...
X