This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johannus Opus 355D

Found one of these about two hours south of my place. The guy says it doesn't work, hasn't replied to email yet. I know there could be a number of different possibilities, as he hasn't emailed me back yet with what exactly is wrong.

Seems to have a nice stop list, but I don't know anything about the technology that is in it, nor do I see any tabs or drawknobs (which all appear to be mechanical, not that 'pinball' lit crap) marked "MIDI"

Is it a decent instrument? 14 Speakers, two of them are 15" subwoofers I guess.
    Allen MOS 1105 (1982)
    Allen ADC 5000 (1985) w/ MDS Expander II (drawer unit)
    Henry Reinich Pipe 2m/29ranks (1908)

Looks like a nice little instrument, hope it works out for you if you get it.

Comment

It's only a good deal if it works. The European instruments are a beast to troubleshoot and fix if they don't work. An American instrument is a much better choice when the instrument doesn't play. It might make a nice VPO, however. Two hours is also worth it if you have enough muscle available to avoid having to get a professional organ moving outfit involved.

Comment

Have never heard of a 355D, how old is it ? Can you post a picture of it ? How about more details, analog or digital ? Thanks.

Comment

This is it. Mid-90s, says it would be a candidate for Hauptwerk. Still waiting for a response
          Click image for larger version

Name:	J1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	602614Click image for larger version

Name:	J2.jpg
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	602615Click image for larger version

Name:	J3.jpg
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	602616
          Allen MOS 1105 (1982)

Comment

Hi,

I think this is a late model analog, with possibly some stops done digitally, or it may have some kind of MIDI implementation. It is more like late 80s than mid 90s.

It was what Johannus considered a high end organ, having much more circuitry to do the tones, and it had Kimber Allen moving drawstops.

Don't ask what I think of it.

AV

Comment

About two years ago a fellow had one of these for sale here in Canada. He apparently picked up the organ, with its speakers, for next to nothing. Then he removed the analog generator boards and wired in some sort of European Midi interface boards. He then sold it to another fellow looking for a Hauptwerk organ on a real budget. Before long the customer realized it was full of problems. Keyboards were wired in the wrong order. Swell shoe pots wired in backwards. The back panel was off the organ and one quick peek was enough. The wiring was a huge tangled up mess of spaghetti, wires running all over the place, with no rhyme or reason. I told the customer that under no circumstances was I going to touch the mess. Later on I learned from someone else the Johannus organ was working fine, and even had a basic midi implementation as it was. Like the old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Comment

I had about an hour and a half long call with the guy yesterday. He said it's all digital, but half the EPROMS died. Powers on, and according to someone he eventually got in touch with at corporate, found that the MIDI is note on/off only. He acquired a 4-manual Monarke a year ago, and decided to just get rid of the three-manual without having done anything to it.So I'm going to pass...I just don't have the time to work on something right away to make it usable. I need something that is already usable that I can play around and tweak when I have time.
                Allen MOS 1105 (1982)

Comment

Working...
                X