X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen 225 -- in the house

Hey,

The Allen 225 is in my house. I had to take off one of the door frames to get the organ in the room that I have it in.

So far, the only issues I have found are:

**card reader not working properly -- some lamps are out (I have included a pic of this)
    **the Capture Power Supply makes a buzzing/humming sound

I do wish there was a celeste of some kind on this organ.

I am going to carefully clean/vacuum out the "inside of the organ" today and then clean some on the cabinet. What is good to take build-up off of furniture?

Below are some pics of the organ and card reader:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0946.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	613505

Name:	IMG_0948.jpg
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	613506

Name:	IMG_0943.jpg
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	613507
    Rodgers W5000 --- home (currently at church)
    Rodgers MX200 module --- home (currently at church)
    Kawai UST7 studio piano --- home

It does appear that you have 3 or 4 dead lamps in the card reader. They are cheap and fairly easy to replace, if you have soldering skills. Be sure to get them all at the same level down in their cavities. It might be a good idea to CAREFULLY dismantle the entire card reader and clean it out. It may be full of dust and cobwebs and spider legs. If you do dismantle it, just be sure to take pics all along the way, make careful notes about where all the screws, washers, spacers, and other loose parts go so you can reassemble it correctly.

BTW, while you are at it, just replace all the lamps. Most of us in the business will attest that when you replace one or two lamps by themselves, some more will be out when you power it back up. Might as well start fresh will all new ones. They don't cost much, a common type 8640 which can be bought from any number of supply houses on the internet. Other people swear by the LED conversion kit from Harrison Labs. Either way you need to replace them all at once.

The hum from the capture supply might be normal. If it is really loud, then probably not. But there is a large transformer in there, and they tend to sing quite a bit. It might help to loosen the screws that hold the supply cage to the floor of the organ and insert some rubber cushions under the corners before tightening it down just enough to keep it from walking away.
    John
    ----------
    *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

In an MOS organ, the only card rows that don't need lamps are the 7 row (3rd from left) and the 11 row (2nd from the right). According to the picture, at least 3 bulbs are out, and maybe a 4th (not sure due to glare). However, it does appear that the 8 and 9 row bulbs are working, so theoretically cards should read in (but not correctly--the sign bit is missing, which is probably the most consequential).

flashguy

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys!!

- - - Updated - - -

On the Allen 225 -- the only batteries I could find are under the console lid on a board that has something to do with the capture mechanism. Are there any other places for batteries on this organ?

- - - Updated - - -

What is this?

Name:	IMG_0953.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	602851
        Rodgers W5000 --- home (currently at church)
        Rodgers MX200 module --- home (currently at church)
        Kawai UST7 studio piano --- home

Comment

No batteries in a 225 other than the capture batteries. The terminal strip is for connecting to the various motor controllers and other components of a remote set of gyrophonic speakers. Not applicable to a regular setup with regular stationary speakers.
          John
          ----------
          *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

Comment

Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
            No batteries in a 225 other than the capture batteries. The terminal strip is for connecting to the various motor controllers and other components of a remote set of gyrophonic speakers. Not applicable to a regular setup with regular stationary speakers.
            John,

Is this a situation where the functionality of all the items on the terminal strip are already on the organ's boards, and just have to be connected (i.e. Vibrato, Chimes, En Chamade, etc.)?

Michael
            Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
            • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
            • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
            • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Yes and no. The organ is "prepared" for switching and controlling external gyros and/or other devices, and for operating a set of chimes, among other things. However, the contact strip for a set of chimes may not necessarily be present under the keys. The contact strip would be an extra-cost item and Allen wouldn't have put one there unless the original purchaser ordered it. The marking on the terminal strip for "chimes" only means that there is already a tab on the rail that is ready to "ground" this particular terminal and thus operate a relay somewhere.

I can't read all the markings, but I see there is an "en chamade" terminal without a wire on it. En chamade on MOS organs would switch the Main channel (which carries the card reader voices of course) into a high-efficiency speaker or horn. Not really practical on a small organ like this one, since you'd obviously also be switching half the voices into that same speaker.

The reverb terminal would have switched on some kind of reverb system. The chorus and vibrato terminals may have been for a gyro motor control, or perhaps a set of Trem units. The Main Off and Antiphonal Off terminals were of course for the speaker relays if they had been present.

Someone may have had big plans for this organ when it was ordered, or maybe at one time it really was connected to multiple speakers, gyros, reverbs, chimes, and who knows what.
              John
              ----------

Comment

Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
                Someone may have had big plans for this organ when it was ordered, or maybe at one time it really was connected to multiple speakers, gyros, reverbs, chimes, and who knows what.
                My reason for asking is because I have a similar terminal strip on my 505B, and I think it's also on my ADC-6000. I'll have to look at the other organs to know what they have.

Michael
                Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Working...
                X