Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1927 Skinner; home use - paint or stain?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1927 Skinner; home use - paint or stain?

Hi guys,

Lucky owner of a 1927 Skiinner from the Ritz Theater. On vacation in 2 weeks.... refurbing and modifying a "little". Naturally, through the years it's been stained, painted, sprayed and probably even brushed with paint / stain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	naked.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	613570
    I'm am stripping it down and refinishing the gem for my home. would YOU paint it or stain it?....I currently have it down to its frame...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	org.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	613571

What say you? I will be using a HVLP sprayer - Minimite

Thanks for reading,
    Mark

Stain.

You're installing a Skinner pipe organ in your house? What's the specification and your intended placement in the house?
    Viscount C400 3-manual
    8 channels + 2 reverb channels (w/ Lexicon MX200)
    Klipsch RSX-3 speakers and Klipsch Ultra 5.1 subwoofers

Comment

What is the wood underneath the old finish? Personally, I prefer wood that has been stained & then clear-coated. As long as you have a sprayer, I'd us lacquer for the top coats.

Are you are converting this to a virtual organ?

Comment

I'm partial to natural wood. If the wood looks good after stripping, I would just spray it with a clear lacquer. I might stain the wood only if I was trying to get the existing wood to look different (match room, contrast/complement exposed pipes, etc.). The only way I would paint would be if the wood had serious defects or mismatched wood types that stain couldn't fix.
        Sam
        Home: Allen ADC-4500 Church: Allen MDS-5
        Files: Allen Tone Card (TC) Database, TC Info, TC Converter, TC Mixer, ADC TC SF2, and MOS TC SF2, ADC TC Cad/Rvt, MOS TC Cad/Rvt, Organ Database, Music Library, etc. PM for unlinked files.

Comment

Originally posted by rjsilva View Post
          Stain.

You're installing a Skinner pipe organ in your house? What's the specification and your intended placement in the house?
          RJsilva - just installing the console in my home in the music room (24 X 32); specifications; uh..... LARGE :o (Opus 444). The console was stripped 20 something years ago and moved from the Church it wound up at after The Ritz Theater in New York to a Pipe Organ Builder in Ohio where I drove up to rescue it off the 2nd floor... Even the bolsters are missing... everything else that is wood is here.

Will be converting into a Virtual Organ with a variety of Hauptwerk sampling with 4 Fatar keyboards, 2 HP touchscreens and a larger 36" main monitor for use with Musicreader, where I scan in most of my sheet music.

Thanks for the reply; stain it might be - will need to strip 90 years of previous paint and stains to see what lurks beneath, I guess.. to make a decision to either stain or paint...

Thanks,
          Mark

- - - Updated - - -

Toodles - don't know the condition of the wood beneath... I have a sneaky suspicion I'm going to find out soon, though. Yes, virtual Hauptwerk organ it will be. This console is an E.M. Skinner Opus 444 console.

- - - Updated - - -

Good idea, Samibe!! Once stripped, who knows what might lurk beneath 90 years of "updates", right? I guess I'll make sure there are no defects and go from there. Only exposed pipes are the ones visible in Hauptwerk :-).

Comment

I cannot recommend HP touchscreens. I bought one and it worked for 3 months and died. HP sent me no less that 5 replacement screens all dead on arrival. I demanded a refund which I got after writing a letter to the HP CEO.

Comment

Well, sorry to hear about your bad experience, Horseshoe. I've always used HP for my desktops and printers (and ThinkPads for laptops). I'm typing this using an HP Omen gaming rig, but the primary monitor is an older Dell IPS touch screen. I've had great service from it. I looked at the more recent 22" Dell - more touchpoints - but it still looks sort of clunky.

Mark - 32" is pretty horrible for putting in places. I'd love to see a picture of that when you get it all assembled. (And I think it'd need to be 4K if you want to have your nose close to it.) :->
              -- I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic -- 1899 Kimball, Rodgers W5000C, Conn 643, Hammond M3, L-102 - "Let no man belong to another who can belong to himself." (Alterius non sit qui suus esse potest​ -) ​Paracelsus

Comment

Originally posted by loveoldtrux View Post
                Will be converting into a Virtual Organ with a variety of Hauptwerk sampling with 4 Fatar keyboards, 2 HP touchscreens and a larger 36" main monitor for use with Musicreader, where I scan in most of my sheet music.
                Do you not have the stop jams and drawknobs/tabs and corresponding electrics? Seems like you'd show an old Skinner console more honour by using those instead of touchscreens :) But you wrote about it being 'stripped' and that you'll be using fatar keyboards so I'm wondering if you only have the case?
                Viscount C400 3-manual
                8 channels + 2 reverb channels (w/ Lexicon MX200)
                Klipsch RSX-3 speakers and Klipsch Ultra 5.1 subwoofers

Comment

Horseshoe - Awww, sorry to hear about the bad experience!! I read about these monitors for the longest time and snapped 'em up for a GREAT price from "Jet" who had the BEST price around! They've worked wonderfully since 2015. Since I work at HP, I have access to the service manuals - they'll come in handy when I start taking the covers off of them to mount them in custom bolsters for the console. The 21" L2206tm works with an excellent variety of Hauptwerk samples I use; including Paramount 341, The Armley Shultz, Bovenkerk, Laurenskerk, Palace At Budapest and many other samples I play. I love the swivel base for portrait or landscape jambs.

Comment

rjsilva - right... it was stripped down to the bone!! Not even a bare wire was left dangling. I have the bolster tops but not the jambs; even the keyboard stack of 4 was taken out, which will work very nicely with all the electronics I've been using for years. No problem; I was going to build my own console in my shop - this one saved me several months; I've been using a Rogers pedalboard that I midified several years ago. The console has QUITE the history to it - coming from The Ritz in New York where Deep Purple, The Doors, Hendrix and many others have brought the ceiling down in!! Here is some more information from the organ: http://database.organsociety.org/Org...?OrganID=22874. Richard Schneider is the gentleman who had it in his loft since the mid 70's looking for that special home.

Comment

Update; it's a 1923 Skinner, not 1927 - sorry guys. Some parts are even documented at the Organ Historical Society as being "auctioned off" on eBay (by Schneider?...); if you're interested, here is a link to his photobucket page where it looks like everything has been dismantled... thus the parts sold individually?... http://s519.photobucket.com/user/arp...?sort=9&page=1 . I guess it's like an old car that nobody wants... the parts are worth more than selling the entire car, once the parts are sold only the shell is left. Well, I'm happy I have "the shell" and some great work is about to be done. I'm sure E.M. Skinner might be rolling over in his grave, but wait till I'm finished... he might sit UP and take a look!! Amazing what we can do today that couldn't be imagined almost 100 years ago!!

Comment

I was not bad mouthing HP. I have an HP monitor on my desktop that has worked well. Just warning about one of their products that I had a bad experience with.

Comment

Ha ha... I use three 22" Dell monitors on my desktop at home, so brand names don't mean anything to me. A pentium is a pentium is a pentium; whether it's HP, IBM or Dell.... the difference is in the support you get when you call in - that's where I step in and make the difference (at least for 59 more days..... :-) )

Comment

Hi Mark, I saw your post about this on the Manufactured Homes Forum , and replied there to your question on weight. Just to recap, you won't have any issues with the weight, since you are just using the console. I was thinking you got the whole organ ! Then you would be right to worry about the weight of it.

Anyhow, welcome to The Organ Forum, and keep us posted on your progress.
                            Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), US-1, EL-25 ( Chopped ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755. 1919 Wangerin 2/7 pipe organ.

Comment

Working...
                            X