X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahlborn AG3200

Hi there

I wonder if anyone, specifically Ahlborn-experienced technicians/owners, might be able to answer any of these questions -

1) I have heard that it is essential to upgrade the firmware in this instrument as the version mines has is known to be buggy. How would I go about getting that upgraded and why exactly would it be beneficial to do the upgrade?

2) How do I set the default additional stops for each division? I have tried changing them but cannot seem to keep them after I turn the organ off. The memory is not locked.

3) Is there anyway to revert to the default voicing specifications? And if I do so, are there factory-set French/English/Baroque specifications built-in?

4) Is it normal for the organ to take around 5-10 seconds after powering on to display the “please wait” screen?

Anything is appreciated
    Thanks

I can't answer any of your questions, but I looked up your model organ and then went looking for audio examples of Ahlborn's Drake technology. I turned this up (I couldn't listen on their website since I don't have flash installed):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN2I...-1si05EmkPIZid

Same model as yours. I listened to a few other examples of Drake organs on youtube as well. Really nice sounding! I didn't know Ahlborn was still making organs, and on their website it looks like the Drake technology allows for some really advanced voicing options.
    Viscount C400 3-manual
    8 channels + 2 reverb channels (w/ Lexicon MX200)
    Klipsch RSX-3 speakers and Klipsch Ultra 5.1 subwoofers

Comment

Thanks! They do seem to have gone quiet but for this AG3200 all I can say is that it blows rival's sounds out of the water, and I was all for another digital manufacturer until I got this. I'm sure many will say that about various different organs so you'll probably have to hear one in person to decide if you agree or not. The advanced voicing system allows you to practically change how each individual stop sounds, going as far as altering various pipe-noise parameters etc, note-by-note even, if you wish. Way too advanced for me right now - I'd just mess something up! I'm really enjoying it so far!

Comment

I assume that you have attempted to ask Ahlborn-Galanti this directly? The organ is 13 years old or so, but I'd hope their support would still cover it. If they're no longer in the business, then one of their distributors might be able to help, if you can find their details. Someone on here may know something.
        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
        Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
        Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Thanks Andy. The current line of instruments might be 13 or so years old, but you’re incorrect about the age of this instrument. I do not know if they are still producing organs but I know that organs came out of the factory last year. I will maybe try the UK rep, just wanted to know if anyone on here had the answers.

Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

I’ve received the answers to all of my questions from the US man, Artie Specht. He was very quick and informative!

Thanks

Comment

More correct to say that the model is old.There's a page on their website dated 2014 and in fact there are threads on Organ Forum about it dating from 2012 - https://www.organforum.com/forums/sh...-jumper-needed

It is rather unusual for a model to have a production run anywhere near that long.

Good to hear that you've got the answers you needed. :)
            It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
            Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
            Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
            Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Probably :) thanks for your input Andy!

Comment

Without looking back in the forum, hasn't DRAKE been around for over 10 years? Not necessarily a bad thing, because the recordings I've heard are really good. But as always, THAT is the work of the voicer mainly.
                Allen MOS 1105 (1982)
                Allen ADC 5000 (1985) w/ MDS Expander II (drawer unit)
                Henry Reinich Pipe 2m/29ranks (1908)

Comment

Originally posted by organman95 View Post
                  Without looking back in the forum, hasn't DRAKE been around for over 10 years? Not necessarily a bad thing, because the recordings I've heard are really good. But as always, THAT is the work of the voicer mainly.
                  A cursory search of the Forum show a reference to DRAKE in 2006.
                  -Admin

Allen 965
                  Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
                  Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
                  Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
                    A cursory search of the Forum show a reference to DRAKE in 2006.
                    I thought it had been around a bit longer than that...excellent system! Rivals could learn quite a bit IMHO.

Comment

If you’re able and willing I’d be interested in hearing a recording(s) of yours. Soundcloud is an easy way to share recordings. Someone posted some Drake demos of stop types on YouTube and I was impressed.

I don’t think Drake being 10+ years old is an issue. According to Ahlborn’s website they use a custom hardware solution which potentially could have been a lot more efficient and capable than general computing equipment at the time. But the proof is in the hearing :)
                      Viscount C400 3-manual

Comment

Hey
                        If you were in the UK, you’d be more than welcome to come and try the organ but I’m afraid I just won’t find time at all to do something like that. What I can say for sure is that these Drake organs sound every bit as good as the samples you will find online, and way better! I have been doing some voicing on mines and I just love how the user has so much control over so many parameters of each different stop. I’m not trying to start any sort of debate but I’ve got to laugh at these viscount physis organs - I have yet to hear one which doesn’t sound totally electronic. I also thoroughly believe that the Ahlborn voicing system blows theirs out of the water.
                        Cheers for now!

Comment

I have lived in the UK a couple of times (my wife is English), but I depressingly haven't been there in 6 years now. We may be visiting next Spring/Summer so perhaps I can contact you then and arrange a hearing. Where in the UK? If we go I'd be in London mostly.

Interesting your perception of the Viscount organs. I've not heard one in person but I've been impressed with what I've heard online and as I've said elsewhere I think physically modelling is the future. I couldn't make out from Ahlborn's website if Drake uses physical modelling. It does mention it but if I recall correctly it didn't say if it even uses it let alone if it is used in part or entirely. I suspect with its voicing capabilities it must at least use some elements of physical modelling.
                          Viscount C400 3-manual

Comment

Does this have a Flute Celeste? I would be interested in knowing how it sounds on each note. In other words, does the "beating" of the celeste remain constant on each note? On another thread someone noted that the celeste sound on some Ahlborn models was sampled, causing the beating to change speeds as you go up and down notes. Of course that wouldn't sound right.

Comment

Radagast,

There is a flute celeste on the swell division. I haven't noticed any irregularity regarding the beating - perhaps this was an issue with the previous model-line?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Rjsilva! Wow, interesting. I am in Scotland. You're very welcome to come and play the organ when you visit! Although I don't personally know much about the technology, I am very impressed with this organ and all I can say about the Viscounts are that, from what I've played on (current models) and listened to, I feel they are the lowest end of builders right now. I actually had a 20 year-old "Content" digital organ which surpassed Viscount organs in terms of console quality and sounds. I may be alone, it's just how I feel. It's very strange though because apparently Ahlborn and Viscount are owned by the same family or something, but the organs are indeed manufactured separately and differently, using different technology.

Comment

Working...
                              X