This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen spinets?

I have seen spinets at previous churches with the Allen name on them. Did Allen ever make small electric spinets or do they just make the electronic pipe organs? Or am I just remembering wrong?

Re: Allen spinets?

Hmmm?

Comment

Doesn't it stink when you can't delete a reply? LOL.

Comment

yes Allen did, pic of one:<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>do a search on ebay for "Allen Organ" and you'll find that one for sale, its in PA.</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Allen also made a near clone (casework wise, not soundwise) of a Hammond B3.</DIV>

Comment

Comment

Most interesting, but yes, I knew Allen made some spinet organs. Also, I later learned they made some for Sears, but have forgotton the name they used on these. Can anyone help me find out this info?</P>

James</P>
            Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
            Baldwin Spinet 58R
            Lowrey Spinet SCL
            Wurlitzer 4100A
            Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
            Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
            Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Comment

[quote user="Hammondlover"]I have seen spinets at previous churches with the Allen name on them. Did Allen ever make small electric spinets or do they just make the electronic pipe organs? Or am I just remembering wrong?[/quote]</P>

Allen has made several spinets during their history. One model that seems to keep popping up on Ebay, is a compact theatre model with the typical 2 sets of 3 1/2 octave keyboards and small 1 octave of pedals. This model, however, differs from other spinets in that both keyboards are positioned above each other note for note, rather than offset positioning.</P>

Allen also made a digital compact theatre spinet that had the same innards as the now discontinued C-19 theatre model.</P>

Bill</P>

Comment

Regarding Sears: I remember their organs were called Silvertone; but I thought that all of those were by Thomas.

Comment

Yes, Silvertone is the name indeed. I remember a discussion somewhere where the Allen made some organs for Sears. The keys were like Hammond or Lowrey, not overhanging. I even remember seeing one in our local music store that was taken in on trade. It was in the back of the store, and as a young Jr. or Sr. High kid, the owner showed it to me, and might have offered it to me for a modest fee. However, that is another story.</P>

Thomas might have made some later. I do remember seeing an organ that was very much like a Thomas, but it had green, orange, and some other color of stops other than the typical yellow, red, and white. It was just awful looking to me. I would not have wanted one because of the looks. Apparently, it was a Thomas with some label put on it.</P>

James</P>
                  Baldwin Spinet 58R
                  Lowrey Spinet SCL
                  Wurlitzer 4100A

Comment

OK. One was very small, Hammond M3 style with around a dozen stops. It had that particle board cabinet with the dark veneer. The other was a bit larger. The cabinet was much nicer, walnut I believe. For some reason I remember something on it that was apple green-a light or rocker switch. Any ideas or am I too vague?</P>

Comment

The Silvertone (Allen) that I remember did indeed look like a Hammond M3, well somewhat like one. All the stops were white if I am remembering correctly. All of the stops were located on the left such as an earlier Lowrey.</P>

The other one was like a Thomas Californian model with the apple-green,orange, and some other color, maybe light blue. I have no idea who made these organs unless Thomas did, and I don't remember the nameplate. That is odd for that is the one thing I look for on an organ. I think the shock of seeing something as ugly as that was a turn offright now. In all respects, it was a Thomas to me. featurewise, and cabinet in looks,</P>

Wards sold someawful looking organs, and I don't know who made them. Anything to make a dollar, and I had rather do without than spend hard earned money for somethingsimiliar to a toy.</P>

All of the organ companies began making some "toys" or to me just plain junk. I sold some Thomas junk that I would have been ashamed to own. The low end of organs right at 1973, and on were made to sell. I would advise anyone buying from anywhere to be sureif the thing works well in all respects as there is literally some junk out there.</P>

I have mentionedbefore that the best organs were made in the50's, 60's and early 70's. Quality was not good on these small toys. Wurlitzer made a lot of them, and I mean a lot, then Hammond, Conn, Baldwin, Thomas, Kimball, Gulbransenwell all of them. They finally made organs with so many auto features that the lower priced keyboards just put the organ MKT right out of business. I had one customer tell me, she just as soon buy a good new stereo to have something like that "thing" with all the auto features, and it didn't sound that great for an organ.</P>
                      <P mce_keep="true"></P>

James</P>
                      Baldwin Spinet 58R
                      Lowrey Spinet SCL
                      Wurlitzer 4100A

Comment

[quote user="radagast"]

[quote user="Hammondlover"]I have seen spinets at previous churches with the Allen name on them. Did Allen ever make small electric spinets or do they just make the electronic pipe organs? Or am I just remembering wrong?[/quote]</P>

Allen has made several spinets during their history. One model that seems to keep popping up on Ebay, is a compact theatre model with the typical 2 sets of 3 1/2 octave keyboards and small 1 octave of pedals. This model, however, differs from other spinets in that both keyboards are positioned above each other note for note, rather than offset positioning.</P>

Bill</P>

[/quote]</P>

One of these analog Allen spinets is on Ebay right now here:</P>

http://tinyurl.com/2mqoq4</P>

At first glance you might think this is a console because of the positioning of the keyboards. But it is a spinet. The keyboards are 3 1/2 octaves and there are spinet pedals.</P>

Bill</P>
                        <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

The inside picture of the stop rail and key contacts looks just like a pipe organ console. What is really interesting is that the stops appear to be SAMs, yet there does not appear to be a combination action. Perhaps back then Allen just used the same SAMs for all consoles whether the organ had a combination action or not? Very interesting!</P>

[*-)]</P>

Comment

[quote user="NYCFarmboy"]<div>Allen also made a near clone (casework wise, not soundwise) of a Hammond B3.</div>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

Is this the one you are speaking of?</p>

</p>

<font class="storetext2font">Sheraton 15</font>
                            </p>

Comment

[quote user="MenchenStimme"]

The inside picture of the stop rail and key contacts looks just like a pipe organ console. What is really interesting is that the stops appear to be SAMs, yet there does not appear to be a combination action. Perhaps back then Allen just used the same SAMs for all consoles whether the organ had a combination action or not? Very interesting!</P>

[*-)]</P>

[/quote]</P>

Considering the comments made on this forum about how pipe organ builders make superior consoles to their electronic counterparts, your comments could really start a catfight.</P>

Comment

Working...
                              X