This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland Classic dealer in Chicago area

I am trying to locate a Chicago area dealer for the Roland C-330 and C380.

I have tried to use the Roland dealer locator, but these two organs do not appear on that search page.

i know that these were made by or in conjunction with Rodgers when Roland Owned Rodgers. They are not listed as a Rodgers product so I assume that they are sold by Roland. But, I can’t find a local dealer.

thanks for your help. I am considering other options such as the Rodgers Classic, Johannus Studio or Opus. I’m looking for a home practice organ. It will go into a living room and space is a concern, although any of the organs i’ve Mentioned are fine. I am also aware that the pedalboard may be an issue,as I believe only the Rodgers Classic and Johannus Opus have AGO boardsi

Originally posted by Casavant Fan View Post
    I am trying to locate a Chicago area dealer for the Roland C-330 and C380.

I have tried to use the Roland dealer locator, but these two organs do not appear on that search page.

i know that these were made by or in conjunction with Rodgers when Roland Owned Rodgers. They are not listed as a Rodgers product so I assume that they are sold by Roland. But, I can’t find a local dealer.

thanks for your help. I am considering other options such as the Rodgers Classic, Johannus Studio or Opus. I’m looking for a home practice organ. It will go into a living room and space is a concern, although any of the organs i’ve Mentioned are fine. I am also aware that the pedalboard may be an issue,as I believe only the Rodgers Classic and Johannus Opus have AGO boardsi
    I thought Roland stopped making classical organs and the Atelier line after they sold Rodgers to Johannus.

Comment

You may be right, but the two Rolands are still listed on Roland’s website and an LA dealer still lists the C-330.

Comment

Alas, there are no more of those organs to be had, other than an occasional used one that might show up. It is indeed true that Roland is totally out of the organ business, and Rodgers no longer offers anything similar.

Johannus (which of course is the sister company of Rodgers now) does indeed offer models that are similar in size and price to the defunct C-330/380 series. I'd encourage you to check those out. Other builders, such as Viscount, may also have a model in your size and price range. It depends very much on what the dealers in your area carry.

AS to pedals, just be aware of what you are getting. If having a genuine 32-note AGO style pedalboard is important to you, be sure to limit your shopping to models with that feature. Some lower-priced models have very good pedals that are quite playable and very close to the AGO specs. Personally, I'd not be happy with a 25 or 27 note pedalboard, whether flat or concave, and I'm not sure I could adapt to even the 30-note system, such as the pedals Roland was using with the C-330, though some folks apparently think it OK.

Allen now offers a 32-note parallel pedalboard on some smaller models that apparently has a playing width almost identical to AGO, while shaving a few inches off the width at the switch end. IMHO, this is a far better pedalboard than the "princess" unit Allen used for decades on their space-saving consoles. This is an excellent way to go if you don't have room for the width of a truly AGO console and pedalboard.

I have also played Content models (Content being another Dutch company with a limited distribution in the US) with an excellent pedalboard so similar to AGO that it fooled me for a long time, until I noticed that it takes up a bit less space. Best I can tell, the width and curvature are 100% AGO compliant, and they save space by whacking off about 3" of the rear end that would normally be underneath or sticking out the back of the bench. If I'm not mistaken, Johannus uses a very similar set of pedals on some of their models. The Content console is also very shallow (as are many Johannus), and thus manages to fit a very playable organ into considerably less space than a full-size Allen or Rodgers.

Best approach is to have in mind exactly what you want and then go visit some showrooms and try out models until you find just the right thing for you.
        John
        ----------
        *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Hi,

Roland stopped producing the C-330 / 380 before they sold Rodgers off to Johannus. Probably have been out of production for close to 3 years now. As far as I know there are no new ones to be had in North America.

These models were designed for the European market, where they did quite well. And they did far batter than expected in North America as well.

Besides having the BDO pedalboard, 30 note concave parallel, they also had the stop rail divisions of the Great and Swell switched around.

As to quality and durability, I can't comment as I have not worked on either model. Early production were made in Italy.

I believe the technology in these organs, eventually showed up in the low end Rodgers organs.

The sound was good on these models. Hector Olivera, if I'm not mistaken had a lot to do with the design of these organs.

AV

Comment

Thanks for all the responses.

I spoke to my local Rodgers rep this morning. He also confirmed that the Rolands were out of production. I also inquired about the Rodgers Classic 559/569 and learned that these sellin the $35-$45 thousand range. Ouch.

I did glean this bit of information: Rodgers plans to introduce two new models that will be AGO spec but at a lower price point and intended for home or chapel use. He did not have any details as to specs or prices.info should be released after the first of the year (NAMM?).’

Comment

Viscount is offering a special deal on the Chorum organs. The smallest AGO is the Chorum 60. Of course, the dealers are far from Chicago.

- - - Updated - - -

Off topic:

Since you are a Casavant fan are you familiar with the Casavants at St. Alphonsus, Chicago, and St. Mary of the Lake, Gary?

Comment

Mark,

i knowa little about the St. Al’s Casavant but have not heard it in person. It was built for a church in Michigan in the late 1950s. After the church closed, it was sold and moved to St. Al’s. Recently, Berghaus Organs did some restoration and modification.

Not familiar with the Gary organ.

A sad story: 30 years ago, I lived on the near west side. Our Lady of Notre Dame de Chicago had a 3m, 44 rank Casavant in its organ balcony. It had been neglected and damaged in a 1978 fire, but had been partially restored by an amateur organ enthusiast. I would say it was about 40% functional. I practiced on that organ several times a week. It was glorious, even in its depleted state. There were plans to fully restore the instrument but they never bore fruit.

i moved from the area in 1992 and have not been back since. I have learned that the organ has been allowed to rot and is of this date unplayable.

Comment

Nineteen years ago someone let me up in the organ loft at Notre Dame de Chicago to look at the Casavant. The sleeping giant was covered in a layer of dust.

I heard the St. Alphonsus organ years ago and fell in love with the sound.

The Casavant in Gary is small, with a glorious sound. The architect for the church met with Lawrence Phelps to plan the church for the organ. (The previous building had burned.) Lawrence Phelps drew the specification, as he also did for the cathedral in Gary, but also had a personal hand in the voicing. The organ is just right. This church was to be closed but has been given a reprieve.

Sorry about leaving the topic. Perhaps you can find something used (with MIDI) in Chicago and add Hauptwerk to get the sounds you wish. A Presbyterian church where I sub is nearing the end and has a small (AGO) Allen that will likely become available. (I would try to take that one for myself.) My parish is under threat of closure and if the archdiocese gets its way there will a moving drawknob Rodgers 760 with Kurzweil module looking for a home. It has the misfortune of a bulky console. And the archdiocese of Chicago is just getting started on "Renew My Church"--its version of urban renewal. Sad to say, there will be many organs available, as well as vacant buildings.

Comment

Two other Chicago Casavant,

St. John Cantius has a large one that was formerly located somewhere in Hyde Park. The had to reinforce the balcony before it could be installed.

the Community Church of Flossmoor has a 3m. I would take the train to have a lesson with the late Dr. Mark Russakof. I also took lessons from him at Roosevelt in the early 1980s. He died way too young and I still miss him.

Comment

I was organist at FCC for seven years, following Dr. Russakof, although no one could fill his organ shoes. Yes, there is a sad loss.

And I got to play the big symphonic Casavant at St. John Cantius this past year for a program. It came from St. James Methodist in Kenwood. According to the organist at our parish (who died all too soon last Saturday evening) when Dr. George Williams "opened it up" the Casavant was awesome. And it still is at St. John Cantius.

With the plans of the archdiocese for church closings, soon organs will be begging for homes. Just wait a bit.

Comment

Since the lowest-priced current Rodgers organs are too pricey for most home-organ buyers, I do hope that Rodgers will introduce something quite practical early next year, perhaps a re-badged Johannus Opus or Studio. At this point, new organ buyers are just about out of luck with Rodgers and with Allen, if needing to stay in the affordable range.

Not too long ago, Johannus was advertising entry-level models for $7995, possibly even less. Of course that was for a very stripped-down model and probably had a questionable pedalboard. Content was selling a very nice line of classical models starting even lower, and Viscount was also in the same ballpark. Most of us looking for a home organ these days will do well to consider Johannus, Viscount, Content, and other European brands. These companies may not be up to the standards of Allen on build quality, particularly of the console body itself, but they certainly come closer to the price points that many of us have in mind.

The best deals are still in used organs though. You always take the chance that you'll have to do some work (or a lot) when you bring home a used one, but the prices can be unbelievably low. A truly fine Allen or Rodgers than some church spent a fortune on just 25 years ago may be available for a token. And many decent organs sold in the 80's can now be had free for the taking. It just depends on how much repair and restoration you are willing to do.
                        John
                        ----------
                        *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

During my conversation with the dealer, who is the Rodgers rep, I did ask whether he thought the new models would be made in collaboration with Johannus. He stated that this was unlikely as R and J are separate entities with a common owner but very distinct philosophies.

with all respect, I think your suggestion is more likely the case.

i do have a lead on the T787 that I posted about in another thread

Comment

Casavant Fan,

In January of 2013 there was a Roland Classic 380 up in Stevens Point WI. It was in a basement store room of the Jim Labbs music store, that was crammed full of other organs and pianos. At that time they were asking 10,000 for it. I have no idea if they still might have it sitting there or not. But the people I talked to when I saw it had NO organ knowledge at all, so they probably have not made a huge effort to move it. Probably worth a call to them, just in case it is still sitting there yet all lonely and forgotten about.

I posted my impressions of it in this thread :

http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...p-lineup/page3
                            Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), US-1, EL-25 ( Chopped ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755. 1919 Wangerin 2/7 pipe organ.

Comment

John,

I doubt that the new lower priced Rodgers models will be something like a Johannus Studio, or even an Opus. These Johannus models are in need of some serious updating, as they have been around for 5 or 6 years.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new models, either having a Rodgers nameplate or Johannus will have technology in them from their LiVE series organs, or they will buy technology from Dexibel, where they get their Oñe keyboard organ from.

New technology is expensive, and it is best to share the same technology over as many products as possible. Companies can only get away with re-iterating on old technology for so long, before they go out of business.

Regarding the price of entry for a new Rodgers organ, they have priced themselves out of at least 50% of the market. I remember a few years ago, looking at Rodgers price lists, that the pricing of the lower end organs kept going up for every 6 months or so, till they raised the price of the lowest model by 50%. I service some of these organs, they were made in Italy, were sold in Canada for around $16K, and then added some external audio, for another $3K. Now the same package goes for almost $50K. And very few of these entry level organs are sold in my area anymore.

What makes this worse, and worse for everybody, is that, at least in Ontario, Canada, the biggest market for organs is churches, most are desparately poor, have gone contemporary, many have closed or are about to. So expensive organs are not sold every day, at least not where I am.

AV
                              Last edited by arie v; 12-11-2017, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X