This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some technical advise

Hi guys!I am new here.I own a Viscount Jubileum 232 organ (about 10 years old).Recently one of my key on the pedalboard is not sounding intermittently.Anyone knows if this organ model uses reed switch? I am not technically trained, and don't feel comfortable removing the board. I am still searching for a local repair man and in the meantime would appreciate if anyone of you guys can confirm if this organ uses reed switches for the pedals.Thanking you all

I can only guess based on having seen similar Viscount pedals. Probably spring switches on an open buss bar.
    John
    ----------
    *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Thank you for your reply.
      So are these switches easily available? I am getting a repair guy to look into it but he he not a Viscount repairman. I am very worried the pedal cannot be repaired.

Comment

No worries. If it is a spring wire on an open buss bar, it probably just needs a little cleaning or polishing of the surfaces at that juncture. These open contacts tend to get dirty or slightly corroded. If your tech guy is familiar with other key contact systems, he will have seen something very similar to this. Just be very careful not to stretch or deform the spring. Clean the spring and the spot it touches on the buss bar with a Q-tip moistened in alcohol or WD-40 or some other suitable cleaning chemical.

He should also check to make sure the contact wire is being pushed down all the way. Compare its motion with a neighboring contact that works correctly and see if it travels the same amount. You might have to gently bend whatever fingers or other devices do the actual pushing down on the spring.

If it turns out to be a sealed contact switch, he might be able to take the switch off the highest note on the pedalboard (if you can spare it). But there's no doubt it can be fixed. Once you see what is in there the solution will be obvious.
        John
        ----------
        *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

Comment

thank you so much Sir for your detailed guidance. i am feeling much better now knowing it may not be a big problem.

It is very difficult to get a repair guy for these digital church organs here in Asia. There is not much demand. Majority of our churches here uses modern keyboards etc.

Thank you once again.

Comment

Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
            No worries. If it is a spring wire on an open buss bar, it probably just needs a little cleaning or polishing of the surfaces at that juncture. These open contacts tend to get dirty or slightly corroded. If your tech guy is familiar with other key contact systems, he will have seen something very similar to this. Just be very careful not to stretch or deform the spring. Clean the spring and the spot it touches on the buss bar with a Q-tip moistened in alcohol or WD-40 or some other suitable cleaning chemical.

He should also check to make sure the contact wire is being pushed down all the way. Compare its motion with a neighboring contact that works correctly and see if it travels the same amount. You might have to gently bend whatever fingers or other devices do the actual pushing down on the spring.

If it turns out to be a sealed contact switch, he might be able to take the switch off the highest note on the pedalboard (if you can spare it). But there's no doubt it can be fixed. Once you see what is in there the solution will be obvious.
            Just update on the following:

I managed to find a repair guy to look into my pedal problem. The pedals do not use reed switches. they have instead, a kind of tube rubber attached to the end of the pedal and the rubber will hit against a switch below the pedal. It was the worn out rubber. that was giving the intermittent no sound problem. No other choice but to follow your suggestion and swapped the highest pedal rubber. but before doing so, we apply some glue onto the damaged rubber and use adhesive tape to reinforce the rubber as it was getting deformed. after reinstalling everything, the bad rubber works fine as well!

I have taken a picture on these rubber and will try to upload it as soon as i figured how to.

Comment

This is the pic of the front pedalboard with tubular rubber connected to the pedals.
              If any of you guys know any shop that sells them, do let me know.

Thanks.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	pedal.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	603604

Comment

It might be just a section cut from a piece of rubber hose sold in auto parts stores.

When I've run across the rubber tube actuators like that and found them deformed, I've made it work by stuffing a bit of foam or soft felt into the center of the rubber to make it stiffer. You can't put a lot of material in there because the tube has to flatten a bit when it hits the switch. Otherwise the pedal cannot continue downward and it might damage the little switch.
                John
                ----------

Comment

It might be just a section cut from a piece of rubber hose sold in auto parts stores.

When I've run across the rubber tube actuators like that and found them deformed, I've made it work by stuffing a bit of foam or soft felt into the center of the rubber to make it stiffer. You can't put a lot of material in there because the tube has to flatten a bit when it hits the switch. Otherwise the pedal cannot continue downward and it might damage the little switch.
                  Aah! Thanks for your wonderful suggestion. Will certainly do that if any other fails.

Thanks once again, and Happy New Year to you!
                  :)

Comment

Hi,

These rubber actuators look very much like what Ahlborn-Galanti used in their organs, and aslo the Italian made Rodgers organs.

Don't be surprised if they are interchangeable.

And yes, those actuators fail on occasion, especially if played a lot.

AV

Comment

Originally posted by arie v View Post
                      Hi,

These rubber actuators look very much like what Ahlborn-Galanti used in their organs, and aslo the Italian made Rodgers organs.

Don't be surprised if they are interchangeable.

And yes, those actuators fail on occasion, especially if played a lot.

AV
                      Thanks for your feedback, will take a look at their site!

Comment

Originally posted by habakkuk1v7 View Post
                        This is the pic of the front pedalboard with tubular rubber connected to the pedals.
                        If any of you guys know any shop that sells them, do let me know.

Thanks.
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]28346[/ATTACH]
                        Please forgive me for chiming in, but what an odd mechanism for controlling the Pedal contacts! As I look at the photo, I wonder if you took one to a hardware store, if they could create some for you in the requisite lengths from a piece of rubber hose. It looks like 2 rubber circles: One of smaller diameter than the other, that are connected somehow--either molded together or glued together.

I've found that barring dealer support, sometimes the local hardware store is my best friend. Fortunately, I have 3-4 small family hardware stores around me as well as some big box stores. I can generally find parts somewhere, given the lack of dealer support.

Michael

P.S. I'm not referring to Viscount when commenting about "lack of dealer support." Hopefully, you will have some luck there.
                        Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                        • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                        • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
                          Please forgive me for chiming in, but what an odd mechanism for controlling the Pedal contacts! As I look at the photo, I wonder if you took one to a hardware store, if they could create some for you in the requisite lengths from a piece of rubber hose. It looks like 2 rubber circles: One of smaller diameter than the other, that are connected somehow--either molded together or glued together.

I've found that barring dealer support, sometimes the local hardware store is my best friend. Fortunately, I have 3-4 small family hardware stores around me as well as some big box stores. I can generally find parts somewhere, given the lack of dealer support.

Michael

P.S. I'm not referring to Viscount when commenting about "lack of dealer support." Hopefully, you will have some luck there.
                          In a way it might not be a bad thing after all, simple device that I can try to repair it myself by using other materials as a replacement. However, I think there is zero dealer support here in Asia for Viscount. I emailed to their headquarters a couple of days ago and they have not replied. It is a shame that having spent about 14K on this instrument, I am now left hanging in the air when the parts starts wearing down. The least they can do is assist us by selling the parts for us to replace ourselves. Will not buy another Viscount again.

Comment

Originally posted by habakkuk1v7 View Post
                            In a way it might not be a bad thing after all, simple device that I can try to repair it myself by using other materials as a replacement. However, I think there is zero dealer support here in Asia for Viscount. I emailed to their headquarters a couple of days ago and they have not replied. It is a shame that having spent about 14K on this instrument, I am now left hanging in the air when the parts starts wearing down. The least they can do is assist us by selling the parts for us to replace ourselves. Will not buy another Viscount again.
                            I answered your question on the Ahlborn-Galanti thread earlier today. Viscount will certainly respond to your inquiry and ought to be able to supply these actuators to a customer anywhere in the world. Their US and Italian operations could well be closed all this week--I predict that Mr. Darnall will respond to you by early next week at the latest. If he does not, please PM me and I will try to expedite contact.

Comment

Originally posted by don60 View Post
                              I answered your question on the Ahlborn-Galanti thread earlier today. Viscount will certainly respond to your inquiry and ought to be able to supply these actuators to a customer anywhere in the world. Their US and Italian operations could well be closed all this week--I predict that Mr. Darnall will respond to you by early next week at the latest. If he does not, please PM me and I will try to expedite contact.
                              ok, taken note
                              :)

Comment

Working...
                              X