This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resurrecting Baldwin 625

Need wiring hook up between Baldwin E1 Tone Cabinet and m1/2 speakers?
    Also battery pack is corroded, need replacement battery information?

Originally posted by tom.jamison62 View Post
    Need wiring hook up between Baldwin E1 Tone Cabinet and m1/2 speakers?
    Also battery pack is corroded, need replacement battery information?
    Have battery pack coming.
    Still need hookup diagram between Tone Cabinet and speakers

Comment

You'll have to determine the audio channeling and use the appropriate speaker with each channel. If that's like the typical Baldwin audio system, there will be one bass channel (usually called "LP" for "low pass") and two or possibly four "manual" channels which actually carry various groupings of the stops, but no bass at all, since the bass frequencies of all the stops is shunted into the bass channel.

Normally, the bass channel runs from the amp into a bass speaker, which may be a large box with dual 12" drivers (or dual 15" drivers in the larger systems). The rest of the channels are more or less interchangeable and go to the smaller speaker cabinets. If you happen to have the older speaker boxes with a 12" and a 6x9 in each one, you should put the primary manual channels (probably 1 and 2) into the 12" speakers and the secondaries into the 6x9's. But that is just a guess. If the channels are divided by division, you may want to put the great/pedal stops into the 12" and the swell into the 6x9's. But you probably don't have that type of box anyway.

If you have the "M-5" speaker set, there is a large woofer box for the LP channel, and there are two "cube" boxes that actually have two independent sets of speakers inside each box, with two separate speaker terminals on the back.
      John
      ----------
      *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Many thinks on information, I'll investagate what I have.

Comment

You are correct I have Five speaker cabinets, one BIG base and four smaller cabinets with a 12" and 6x9 in each. Tone Cabinet (Amp) is marked with two "Great" outputs and two "Swell" outputs and one Base output with volume controls for each. I'll get some wire tomorrow and see what I get. If I get sound I'll have to fine someone who can play our Baldwin 625 console to test it out.
          I'm a 70 year old Electronics tech with 40 years IT behind me. This has been fun.
          Thank

Comment

Just observe the color code (if you have the original Baldwin signal cable) and connect the signal wires and the turn-on voltage from console to amp unit. Connect speakers and you should have good sound.
            John
            ----------
            *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

Comment

Many thanks unit sounds fantastic!! Used 100 feet of speaker wire.
              All I need to make the Baldwin 625console look new is to replace about 1/3 white indicator lamps above stops.
              Any ideas?
              Tom

Comment

The milk-white plastic cover pops off with a little jiggling, revealing the tiny "grain of wheat" lamp. It's a standard lamp number that you can get somewhere, but I don't know off hand what the number is. It is a 5 volt lamp and draws an extremely small amount of current.

When replacing them, put some tape on the jaws of needle-nose pliers and use the tape to grip the little lamps and pull them straight out. They have little short wire legs that simply stick into some tiny round sockets. The ones you buy will have long wires, so you have to clip them off to the right length before inserting. It's a bit tricky, but once you get the hang of it you can do them pretty quickly.

Don't lose the little white covers, as they are NLA.
                John
                ----------

Comment

Working...
                X