This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen ADS 420T Tone Cards

I picked up an Allen ADS 420T. It came with a dozen silver tone cards. They work perfectly. I decided to see if Allen had anymore. I ordered the tone cards listed in the category "ADC/MDS SERIES ORGANS
    (All Models EXCEPT ADC-1100, 2100, 3100 Series and MDS-15, 25, 35 and 38)" They came in red, green and white. The card reader won't read them at all. What am I missing? jkr

jkr,

Welcome to the Forum. I hope this is only the beginning of your participation here.

Anything you want to know about tone cards is in this thread: https://www.organforum.com/forums/showthread.php?4206

Meanwhile, when you go to the Allen site, this link/text is for the Silver tone cards: ADC/MDS SERIES ORGANS (Models ADC-1100, 2100, 3100 Series and MDS-15, 25, 35 and 38 ONLY). This link/text is for the multi-colored tone cards for the larger organs: ADC/MDS SERIES ORGANS (All Models EXCEPT ADC-1100, 2100, 3100 Series and MDS-15, 25, 35 and 38).

According to Jan Giradot's organ list, your model is an MADC organ vs. ADC organ. In the model number, Allen listed them both as ADC, but the innards are different. Briefly, the ADC organ cards programmed the waveform into the organ, while the MDAC organ stored the waveforms for all organs in the organ's memory and all the card does is to bring up the waveform already stored inside the organ. All of those cards will be silver in color.

If you visit *Bay and search for "Allen Organ" there, you will find cards for sale from a fellow we call the Florida Flipper. While I personally would rather not recommend a seller on *Bay, the cards will be listed for sale individually in 3 separate auctions: MOS, ADC (colored), and MADC (silver in color).

I hope this helps.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Thank you. I had no idea. That means I have the following cards I bought from Allen I don't need: Harmonic Flute 4', Harmonic Flute 8',
      Flute Dolce 4'Flute Dolce 8', Giegenregal 4',Cornet 4' IV, Barpfife-A 8', Chalumeau 8', Clarinet-C 8', Clarinet-C 8", Contre Trompette 16', Flemish Bells 8', Bombarde 16', Cornet 8' V, Fagotto 8', English Horn Tenor 8', English Horn Alto 8'. Know anyone that wants to make an offer?

Comment

There was no ADS series from Allen, it should be ADC. The ADC-420 did not have a card reader, so it is probably a different model if indeed the organ has a card reader.

You should check your organ's model number on a metal tag, inside the console, on the rail that runs along the back side of the organ across the top.

The silver tone cards are these: https://www.allenorgan.com/store/tonecardsmadc.html

Comment

Originally posted by jkr View Post
          Thank you. I had no idea. That means I have the following cards I bought from Allen I don't need: Harmonic Flute 4', Harmonic Flute 8',
          Flute Dolce 4'Flute Dolce 8', Giegenregal 4',Cornet 4' IV, Barpfife-A 8', Chalumeau 8', Clarinet-C 8', Clarinet-C 8", Contre Trompette 16', Flemish Bells 8', Bombarde 16', Cornet 8' V, Fagotto 8', English Horn Tenor 8', English Horn Alto 8'. Know anyone that wants to make an offer?
          Jkr,

You can post what you have available in the Classifieds section of the Forum. That said, if you put a link to your Classifieds post in the Allen Tone Card thread I think there are several people there who might be interested.

Until you provide the accurate model number of your organ, we're a bit stymied on what model it is. When you made your post, it never occurred to me to question what looked like an honest mistake to me. Also, could you take a photo of the organ and post it? Better yet, what Toodles mentioned about where to find the serial number and model number are best.

Michael
          • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

Comment

It does sound as if his instrument is MADC. My Allen is an MOS2, so his ADC cards wouldn't do me any good.

David

Comment

You might inquire of Allen if they could accept your cards in return for the same number of cards that are the right ones for your instrument.

Comment

Originally posted by toodles View Post
                You might inquire of Allen if they could accept your cards in return for the same number of cards that are the right ones for your instrument.
                Probably your best option. I know they want to get rid of their card stock, but I don't think it's an all sales are final situation.

Michael

Comment

jkr I ordered the wrong cards by mistake and Allen allowed me to exchange them for the proper cards. I would e-mail the Sales department and speak with them. It was not
                  very long ago I made the mistake so I think that they will work with you.

John

Comment

My Allen organ list (expanded from Jan's list) has an ADC-420 listed as an MADC-1 organ built starting in 1984. The owners manual posted on Allen's website do not show it having a card reader, but maybe it was an optional addon.

There is also an Allen 420T on my list that would be MOS-1 technology. If it came with a card reader, it would not read the silver MADC cards or the regular ADC cards.
                    Sam
                    Home: Allen ADC-4500 Church: Allen MDS-5
                    Files: Allen Tone Card (TC) Database, TC Info, TC Converter, TC Mixer, ADC TC SF2, and MOS TC SF2, ADC TC Cad/Rvt, MOS TC Cad/Rvt, Organ Database, Music Library, etc. PM for unlinked files.

Comment

Our church has an Allen ADC-3100 that has not been used in a while. How do you use the tone cards? I put them in the slot and nothing happens. I just discovered that there are pedal, swell and great stops that are on all the time. With all stops in we still have voices on pedal, swell and great. As I pull stops while holding a key down, the stops that do not change must not be able to turn off when in. Any one if there could be a magnet reed switch on the ends of the pull stops or might we have a board problem. Appreciate any input. AG

Comment

You have to select an "alterable" stop and then insert and remove the tone card.

For the stops that are sounding when all of the stops are off, check that the crescendo pedal is all the way off.
                        Sam
                        Home: Allen ADC-4500 Church: Allen MDS-5
                        Files: Allen Tone Card (TC) Database, TC Info, TC Converter, TC Mixer, ADC TC SF2, and MOS TC SF2, ADC TC Cad/Rvt, MOS TC Cad/Rvt, Organ Database, Music Library, etc. PM for unlinked files.

Comment

Thank you for the tone card instruction. I think I tried that with the crescendo pedal. With all the pull push stops in should there not be any sound at all? Thanks, AG

Comment

• myorgan
                            myorgan commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That is correct, Art.

Michael

On the 3100 the drawknob switches operate magnetically, and it is always possible that a reed switch has gone bad, causing a stop to be stuck "on." You should check the reed switches with a meter before you do anything else though. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! The reed switches MIGHT start working again if moved very slightly toward or away from the magnet, but it is SO easy to break one. The glass is fragile, the leads go directly to the very tiny reed elements, and any rough handling will destroy them instantly. So be absolutely sure that the trouble is in the reed switch before you touch one.

And though remotely possible that there is a faulty board or other issue, stops that seem to be playing with nothing turned on is most likely due to the crescendo pedal not turning all the way off, even when in the "parked" position. I'd especially suspect this if the stops that are stuck "on" happen to be the softest ones in each division, such as the 16' Lieblich Gedeckt in the pedal, the 8' viola in the swell, the 8' flute in the great. If it's not these stops though, it could well be something else.

The crescendo function depends on a somewhat quirky rotary encoder. The encoder is notorious for getting "crackly" and intermittent. It may help to find the tiny holes in the housing, squirt some WD-40 into it, then work the pedal up and down many times to try to clean and lubricate the encoder mechanism inside. It's also possible that the nylon strip gear apparatus that drives the encoder has "jumped the track" and is not turning the encoder all the way off. You might gently experiment with it to see if you can adjust its travel so that it can turn through its full range as needed.

Assuming that the stops which are "on" all the time are some very soft ones, you could just ignore this malfunction for the time being, as turning on more stops will basically mask this trouble. If it's loud reeds or something stuck on, you have a much worse problem!
                          John
                          ----------
                          *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

• ArtGonzo
                            ArtGonzo commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thank you so much for this info. Looks like I have to get into the cheek pieces to see how the stop engage the reed sws. I am familiar with reeds, I have a two way commercial radio, security and fire alarm repair background. We have been able to have a next door parish organist play for us and need to have the cresch. pedal up as the console is behind the twelve speakers and she cannot feel the impact of 200 watts, love it. I am sure you are right on the problems. The cres pedal all the way back, no key or stop sounds. Will all stops off and cleared you beg in to hear voices after the green led comes on which must be the one that the reeds are stuck on or magnets missing. I will explore that first. I will look for the disk to WD around the pedal area just incase. Thank you again for your support, just doing the work for the Lord, parishioners just love to hear the organ again. Let you know what I find. AG

Have you tried to identify which stops are the ones that are always ON? With all the knobs IN (OFF) play a note and prop the key down so it plays constantly. Then pull the stop knobs one at a time (putting them back OFF) until the one (or ones) that don't make a change in the sound are found--those are the stops that are stuck ON. Once that information is available more steps can be made to discern why they stay ON.

David

Comment

• ArtGonzo
                            ArtGonzo commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Dave, thank you. I have figured that out and now will be marking the stops that are on all the time. Then hunt for reed sw and magnet. Chances are if I find a reed bad the rest will be the same. Might be related to a lightning strike on a huge nearby pine tree. I noticed a nicad battery on a large board. I will check that now that the console has been plugged in for more than a month now. I would think, pull the AC and read the battery after a few minutes to see if they are gone. I am so very happy to find others in this field to bounce off of others and get your suggestions and input. Many thanks. AG
                        Working...
                        X