Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baldwin Model 520 found on roadside (project)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baldwin Model 520 found on roadside (project)

Hello all,

I found a Baldwin 520 on the roadside next to a dumpster and decided to bring it home. I don't have a single clue about organs, how to play or maintain them but I decided to sign up here and post photos/updates of my project and see if you folks had any advice as I go through it. The last thing I want to do is disrespect the organ community by painting it orange or something so any tips/advice or ideas, I am very open and look forward to learning from you.

The project goals:
    Restore the wooden cabinet
    Clean/fix/replace any parts to make it work properly
    Document the process with photos and videos, upload to youtube and learn to play a piece and demonstrate at the end of the video

PS: I'd like to add photos to this post but I cannot figure it out. When I drag an image over it just sends me to a new page with the photo and there are no options to upload it.

Thread moved from Hammond to Classic & Church Electronic Organs Forum -- Michael, Moderator
    Last edited by myorgan; 02-20-2018, 02:18 PM. Reason: Advise of Thread Move

There is a thread on this Forum about Baldwin 520 organs: http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...0-Church-Organ

I found this descriptive article on the Baldwin 520: http://churchorganservicing.blogspot...ldwin-520.html

David

Comment

Please do read the thread David referred to on this forum. We have discussed that model at length, possibly more than once, so you might try doing a search.

Interesting little organ, and a fine one to start out on. Every time I service one of these I always think how much I'd enjoy owning one (if I didn't already have 15 organs that mostly don't work!)... But it does have nice sounds, interesting effects, good set of controls, and decent keyboards and pedalboard.

Good luck! Please post about your progress.
      John
      ----------
      *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Thank you both. Can anyone share on how to add photos? I see the insert image I drag the image from my desktop over and it takes me away from this page.

Comment

To insert an image, use the "Go Advanced" button on the lower right of the Quick Reply window (the one I'm typing in).

Then scroll down quite a bit until you see the "Manage Attachments" button. Click on that button and you will get a smaller window where you can browse to and choose the file you want to upload. Choose the file, then click "Upload" to add it to your post. Finally, once you are finished adding photos (limit of 5 photos per post) and typing your text into the editing window (this one), close the attachments window and click the "Submit Reply" button at the lower right of the editing window.

Now your new text will be posted along with the pics you have attached, in thumbnail form. Clicking on a thumbnail opens the pic in a small window, and clicking on it again will enlarge it.
          John
          ----------
          *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Progressing along some before and after first level of sanding

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	603897Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	603898Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	603899Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	603900Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	603901

Comment

How do I remove these? Heat gun?

Name:	Capture.jpg
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	603902 I need to get these off before I sand. Going around the Baldwin was too much hassle.

Comment

Dandypanty, that is a nice find. I don't know how much sanding you are planning to do on it, but I will caution you that the console is not solid wood. It is made from MDF ( but a very good grade of it ) with wood veneer on it. The veneer is probably not too thick, so it is best to not get real aggressive with the sanding. I've recently picked up a 626, and that console is MDF too.

Gotta love the 3M blue tape ! I use a lot of it.
                Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Baldwin 626. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755.

Comment

Finished 1st of 3 sanding grades.

Name:	20180223_113648.jpg
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	603903 I knew she was veneer before I started. Some of it is peeling up due to the humidity. I am fixing the veneer and the base of the music stand that is coming unglued tonight. Tomorrow I will finish sand, stain, then Saturday put the first coat of urethane.

Comment

I love that you're taking this on. Keep posting. I'll read with great interest.

Comment

thanks a lot Tweedle_Dee! About to finish repair to veneer and music stand in about an hour. Hopefully weather will be good tomorrow and I can get some stain on her. I'll have more photos to come and hopefully begin learning a piece of music to play on it. I have never played piano/organ before so I'll pick something easy enough :)Click image for larger version

Name:	baldwin.jpg
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	603904

Comment

Stain is complete

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	603932Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	603933Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	603934Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	603935 I found a piano bench over the weekend. The wood grain and style about match the organ. I will sand and stain it this weekend. Need to learn to recover the cloth top too. It's totaled and nasty. Got some new castor wheels for it too. When I figure out how I'm going to mount them I'll post some photos. This organ is pretty darn heavy. Tore my back up loading and unloading it in the truck. Should have called someone to help.

Comment

Looks like you're doing a fine job there with the finish! :-)

Did it have the pedalboard with it when you picked it up? A piano bench would be much too low to play the organ as the keys are higher up than a piano. Or did you mean organ bench?
                          It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                          Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                          Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
                          Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Originally posted by dandypanty View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]29008[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29009[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29010[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29011[/ATTACH] I found a piano bench over the weekend. The wood grain and style about match the organ. I will sand and stain it this weekend. Need to learn to recover the cloth top too. It's totaled and nasty. Got some new castor wheels for it too. When I figure out how I'm going to mount them I'll post some photos. This organ is pretty darn heavy. Tore my back up loading and unloading it in the truck. Should have called someone to help.
                            It looks new! Excellent job. Allen

Comment

Very nice refin!! And I must ask: Is the old TV in the corner a 1950's Muntz? It looks exactly like the Muntz we had when I was knee-high to a spark plug.

Tony
                              Home: Johannus Opus 370

Comment

Working...
                              X