X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to add....???

Hey,

This is probably a crazy question?......

I have an Allen 225 and wish that I had held out for a model with a string and/or flute Celeste.

Is it possible to add a Celeste stop and Celeste board to my Allen 225?

Thanks,
    Geoffrey
    Rodgers W5000 --- home (currently at church)
    Rodgers MX200 module --- home (currently at church)
    Kawai UST7 studio piano --- home

Anything is possible given the time, money, and will, but there is no simple and direct path to what you wish to accomplish as the 225 is a single computer model.

You'd be better off spending that time and money adding midi capabilities or finding a model that has that capability natively.
    -Admin

Allen 965
    Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
    Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
    Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

When I saw your post earlier today I had exactly the same thoughts Admin expresses. The analog celeste system consists of dedicated contact switches and busses on both manuals, a power supply, the rack of oscillators, the mixing circuit, the stop switching. Obviously, Allen tucked it all into the console, but that would be hugely more difficult out in the field.

It would take less work, possibly a LOT less work, to add MIDI to that organ. Then you could have a great variety of new sounds.

I once added MIDI to an old analog Rodgers I played at a church. Used the MIDI to connect to a touch-screen computer running j-Organ. I had created a custom VPO division with a dozen or so nice organ stops, including a celeste and chimes. Greatly enhanced my enjoyment of that old organ. You could do something like that on the 225 and start enjoying all manner of new digital stops and effects that would surpass the organ's native stops.

And you can have your externally generated stops play through the Allen's amps and speakers, even express with the expression pedal. I've done that for several old MOS organs by simply using a Y-cable to send the signal into the existing amps. You have to insert about 100K of resistance between the external line-level source and the inputs to the MOS amps, due to the different signal level and impedance, but it works beautifully, and you get perfectly matched expression as a bonus.
      John
      ----------
      *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

If you are willing to add MIDI, then you could get celeste voices via a MIDI Sound engine. Artisan has a small computer that might suffice--it's good for about 5 voices; the Mini sound engine is priced at $350, and voices are $25 each. If you're doing that, I'd personally go ahead and add chimes, and maybe an organ harp. Plus any other particular voice(s) you think would be beneficial.

Comment

Hey,

Thanks for your input.

Would an Allen Protege AP-2 be a move up or down? The Protege is newer and has MIDI — but I’ll be losing a crescendo pedal and memory.

Thanks,
          Geoffrey

Comment

Originally posted by gebohmusic View Post
            Hey,

Thanks for your input.

Would an Allen Protege AP-2 be a move up or down? The Protege is newer and has MIDI — but I’ll be losing a crescendo pedal and memory.

Thanks,
            Geoffrey
            Be sure it actually has MIDI installed. The AP-2 had the prepared-for MIDI tabs, but MIDI was an option. The AP-3 has MIDI as a standard feature. Allen

Comment

I have an Allen AP3 handle midi good. Did you perhaps thought of adding a midi pedal for Crescendo?

Comment

Sound wise, the AP-2 is far better. However, they have a princess pedal board (not AGO standard). You would get a celeste. The AP-2 might already have midi. The midi board with connector is inside the organ and not visible so you have to remove the back to find it. You can add midi to your current organ fairly easily. Both Zuma and Harrison Labs can provide you what you need to do that. I have an Artisan sound engine and it has performed well over the past 10 years. Personally, I would not buy one so small. If your going to do it, go for something larger. The Artisan gives you the ability to run audio via 8 stereo pairs but of course that would require speakers and amps or you can do as suggested above run it on two channels through the Allen. If it were me, I would probably add midi and then procure a reasonably priced computer and download the free version of Haupterk on it. I would then buy one of the two manual organs from http://www.organexpressions.com/. Their organs run on the free version. Of course, you would need to add a stereo amp and two speakers and a touch screen (avoid HP touch screens--I had a very bad experience with them). Using either my suggestion or the Artisan will give you the celeste and Reeds that will enhance your organ. Any midi sound module will sound far better than your organ so you may become discontent with it.

Comment

Thank you all so much for your comments and input.

I’m looking at all options.

What are your thoughts on a Rodgers 595??

Comment

Working...
                  X