X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone know what model this might be?

Hey,

Found this for sale relatively close to me.

Sellers do not know the model, etc.

Can anyone get an idea of what model it is from the pic?

Pro’s ~Con’s?

Stay away or investigate further?

Thanks!
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...81006419034342
    Rodgers W5000 --- home (currently at church)
    Rodgers MX200 module --- home (currently at church)
    Kawai UST7 studio piano --- home

Gebohmusic,

It appears to be an earlier model (with MIDI) I used to sell in the 1990s (or slightly earlier). I know the Baldwin brand used an Italian maker and re-branded them, and another, more reputable maker, but each had their deficiencies.

I checked in the Gallery and searched the Forum, and came up with these links. See if they fit:
    Hope this helps a bit.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Hi,

My uneducated gues is that it is a Baldwin 640.
      My educated guess is that it is a Baldwin 640.
      So it must be a 640.
      Model was from late 70s to early 80s
      Analog and pre-MIDI

AV

Comment

I don't remember the model, but there is a Covenant church that has that same model. As I recall, the sound was quite nice, even in the dead room it was in. But the majority of the speakers were those pipe-speakers. Maybe that had something to do with it?
        Allen MOS 1105 (1982)
        Allen ADC 5000 (1985) w/ MDS Expander II (drawer unit)
        Henry Reinich Pipe 2m/29ranks (1908)

Comment

Upon doing some more research of photos I have of home organs, it looks like it might, indeed be a 640. Since the photo is no longer available, to me the telltale signs would be the 3 sets of 3-4 tabs above the top manual, and limit of pistons under the Swell.

There is a tab model 625 which looks more like the one pictured on FB, as regards the transposition lights above the Swell, but I don't think there were pistons under the Swell. Now that the picture is gone, I guess it's all academic.

Michael
          Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
          • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
          • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
          • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Hi,

For an analog organ it really sounded decent. I would say, in some ways as good or better than what Allen or Rodgers were offering.

But by then, Baldwin was on the way down, and these organs had reliability issues.

The audio was done in 1 of 2 ways, either a 5 channel setup, or 15 channel setup. I remember working on one where they had 15 speakers, some tall wooden pipe looking afairs, others looking like PVC pipes.

I doubt many are still in working condition.

AV

Comment

Thanks for the information so far.

Would it have MIDI?

The person is going to resist it tomorrow with other pics.

Thanks!
              Rodgers W5000 --- home (currently at church)
              Rodgers MX200 module --- home (currently at church)
              Kawai UST7 studio piano --- home

Comment

The 640 predates MIDI by many years. This was one of Baldwin's more ambitious analog efforts, with the multi-rank tone generator system also used in the various Silent Touch models. LOTS of boards and wire bundles and stuff hanging everywhere inside the console, which is quite huge and heavy. Good keyboards, as with most Baldwins of the late analog era, not flimsy/springy/mushy like the older analog keyboards. Not so great pedalboard, rather clunky compared to Allen or Rodgers.

Sound is decent but dated of course. The ones I've seen had the "15 channel" pipe speakers -- actually just five audio channels come out of the filter networks, IIRC, but the pipe speakers use active crossover circuitry to split each channel into frequency bands that are sent to separate "pipes" which have variously a 12" or 6" or 4" speaker at the top, pointed up at the ceiling. Interesting way to disguise the speakers, but not going to fool anybody into thinking they are real pipes ;-)

Biggest drawback is just that there is hardly a shred of support any more, and these organs have been plagued by problems, so you might need service and can't get any. The large number of stand-up gate and filter boards are attached to flat motherboards with thick metal pins soldered to the traces and making contact with the stand-up boards via spring-loaded sockets. An open invitation to cracked solder joints and other issues related to the inevitable motion of the boards as the organ is bumped and moved around, even from the vibration of playing the keys. So it's an ongoing project to keep one of these playing, and a disaster if you actually needed a part that isn't a common item. (though it's built mostly with ordinary off the shelf electronics)

So, probably not worth the trouble at any price, since far better and newer organs show up pretty regularly for not much money or even free.

Nice big impressive console though for someone wanting to do a Hauptwerk conversion. Single contact keying, so easy to MIDI up after you rip out all the old electronics, and lots of room inside the console for computers and amps and such.
                John
                ----------
                *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Working...
                X