X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen MDS-5: silent key on swell

Drat!

I got the new speakers on the Allen MDS-5 at the church, and was playing along just fine enjoying the fantastic new sound when I hit a low "C" (one octave below middle "C") on the swell manual, and nothing happened. Yep, dead key. No stop works on it.

How big a deal is this? It would be wonderful if it were just a loose circuit board, perhaps? Is that possible? To review, I was just inside the case detaching the internal speakers and attaching "new" external HC-15's to the same outputs. There is a big board up above that on a left side hinge that I swung out, just to take a look at the innards. Is it possible I jiggled something loose when I did that? Outside of that, I can't think of anything else I did that might've been causal. And if that's the case, I'm wondering if it points to a bad contact on the keyboard. And that would seem to be troublesome.

If not, then perhaps it's time to find an organ repairman. Sigh.

Thomas

Originally posted by tleed View Post
    I got the new speakers on the Allen MDS-5 at the church, and was playing along just fine enjoying the fantastic new sound when I hit a low "C" (one octave below middle "C") on the swell manual, and nothing happened. Yep, dead key. No stop works on it.
    Thomas,

If you lift the cover to the organ, look at the back of the keys inside the organ. If you seen a green logic board the entire length of the organ standing vertically, then your organ probably has reed switches. If you take a magnet and hold it close to each reed switch (without touching them), they should all play when you have a stop selected. If the offending key does not play, then you need a reed switch replaced on that logic board.

Please keep us posted on the outcome.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Do what Michael says. A single dead note would almost have to be a bad reed switch or a detached magnet. Take a close look at the rear end of the key that doesn't play, and compare what you see with the notes beside it. The magnet may have come unglued and fallen out, or the magnet holder might be out of alignment. If it will not key when you hold a small magnet close to the reed switch, then the reed switch is bad and will have to be replaced.

Any kind of malfunction on a circuit board would have to affect a large group of keys, since there are no individual keying wires on any digital Allen. It's all multiplexed, and a single broken wire or loose plug connector on a board would cause a group of six or eight notes to be dead.
      John
      ----------
      *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Working...
      X