This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st time Voicing/Finishing Allen 705D

Now back from Surgery, with a few week of light duty ahead of me, I would like to voice the Allen 705D that is now installed and working. Presently the levels are all set exactly as when I removed the organ from the church auditorium. It sounds OK, but I would like to make it voice as good as possible for a beginning voice'r with no experience. I have done a lot of searching and reading on the forum. I don’t have the ‘Art’ nor ‘Science’. I do have a sound pressure level meter. Armed with that meter and this info found in a post by Jbird, would this procedure get me in the ball park for final tweaking on sound levels and treble/base.

My 705D has (4) S-100 Amps driving (8) HC-12 speakers (each S100 driving 2 HC12) thus each S-100 is driving (2) HC12 speakers, one on each 24' end wall. And (1) D40 amp driving (4) PP speakers, 2 on each end wall. Its installed in my 24’ x 40’ great room. The console is centered on one 40’ wall. There are (4) HC12 Speakers and (2) PP speakers on each 24’ wall.

Here is the excerpt from the post by Jbird;
    “Voice the channel with the Great 8' Principal stop, setting the level comfortably, then see if the Octave 4 is in the other channel, as I suspect it will be. Make that stop just a bit softer. Then use the Octave 4 as a guide to setting the Principal 4 in the Swell. Finally, you need to balance the other swell stops against the ones in the channel with the Principal 4. That's all there is to it with a four-channel organ.

After you have the four channels in balance, you can tweak the bass and treble controls on each channel as needed to get the mixtures and higher pitched stops suitably crisp without being harsh or shrill. Adjust the bass controls on the Great channels (which probably also contain the pedal stops) to get a weighty pedal sound without boom or rattles in the room.

Last Question. On the Tab Stop Rail, I have a reverb tab. Presently it does nothing. Maybe its a option I don’t have or maybe its simply not working. What board or board number am I looking for to see if this is an installed option? If the board is present, any trouble shooting tips.

Many Thanks
    74corvette
    1871 Estey Cottage Organ. ROS Reg#5627

Originally posted by 74corvette View Post
    ...I would like to voice the Allen 705D that is now installed and working. Presently the levels are all set exactly as when I removed the organ from the church auditorium. It sounds OK, but I would like to make it voice as good as possible for a beginning voice'r with no experience.
    Originally posted by jbird604
    After you have the four channels in balance, you can tweak the bass and treble controls on each channel as needed to get the mixtures and higher pitched stops suitably crisp without being harsh or shrill. Adjust the bass controls on the Great channels (which probably also contain the pedal stops) to get a weighty pedal sound without boom or rattles in the room.
    74corvette,

John has given all the best/proper advice that can be given for the 705B. Because it is a MOS-2 organ, there is very little you can do in the way of voicing because the overall ensemble was pre-balanced at the factory for each channel. Speaker placement, other than changing the Treble/Bass controls on the DAC-4 (or DAC-3) boards you have inside the console, are the only changes you can make.

Originally posted by 74corvette View Post
    Last Question. On the Tab Stop Rail, I have a reverb tab. Presently it does nothing. Maybe its a option I don’t have or maybe its simply not working. What board or board number am I looking for to see if this is an installed option? If the board is present, any trouble shooting tips.
    Regarding the Reverb, it is probably not connected even though the tab is engraved. For the MOS-2, I'm not sure there is a particular Allen board you could connect. In the early years, Allen had a Reverb Tower (spring reverb), and after the MOS-2 era, perhaps in the ADC era, Allen began using the ADR (Allen Digital Reverb) to create the reverb in their organs. Reviews on the effectiveness of the ADR are mixed--at best.

Others will have better recommendations for adding Reverb to a MOS-2 instrument, but I would feel uncomfortable advising since I've never tried it with my MOS-2. I hope the above advice helps.

Michael

P.S. I would recommend the following thread for reference: https://www.organforum.com/forums/sh...l=1#post377072
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Thanks myorgan for the reply. In that post Jbird made; "You have more or less the same voicing capability as a typical four-channel Allen with the W-5 generator or the MADC sandwich system (models 2100/3100/etc). "

I was not sure I cold compare the 705D to the systems refereed. Your post now clears that up to what and what not can be done. I appreciate that help. Understand, on MOS II reverb.

74corvette

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
      74corvette,

John has given all the best/proper advice that can be given for the 705B. Because it is a MOS-2 organ, there is very little you can do in the way of voicing because the overall ensemble was pre-balanced at the factory for each channel. Speaker placement, other than changing the Treble/Bass controls on the DAC-4 (or DAC-3) boards you have inside the console, are the only changes you can make.

Regarding the Reverb, it is probably not connected even though the tab is engraved. For the MOS-2, I'm not sure there is a particular Allen board you could connect. In the early years, Allen had a Reverb Tower (spring reverb), and after the MOS-2 era, perhaps in the ADC era, Allen began using the ADR (Allen Digital Reverb) to create the reverb in their organs. Reviews on the effectiveness of the ADR are mixed--at best.

Others will have better recommendations for adding Reverb to a MOS-2 instrument, but I would feel uncomfortable advising since I've never tried it with my MOS-2. I hope the above advice helps.

Michael

P.S. I would recommend the following thread for reference: https://www.organforum.com/forums/sh...l=1#post377072

Comment

Since the 705 is a bit of a unique model among Allens, there are a few tricks to the voicing that might help you. Let me walk you through a possible course of action. Have the expression pedal (the one on the left) wide open for this procedure, but make sure the crescendo pedal (on the right) is fully off.

(1) Turn off all the amps except for #2, which will probably have the 8' principal of the great in it. (Sorry, there is very little info on MOS-2 organs on the Allen tech site, so I'm guessing.) Set the volume level so that the 8' principal is a "comfortable" level -- about what you'd expect to hear from a single rank of pipes playing. That is to say, not all that loud. This is a very subjective thing, so you may want to start out with simply setting it the way you found it, or using the factory red dot, if there is one on the amp knob.

NOTE: If I'm wrong and the 8' principal is not in channel #2, then it will be in #1.

(2) To set the volume of channel #1, use the 8' Hohlflote as your test stop. Set its loudness to be just slightly softer than the 8' principal. Obviously, the tone color is different, but try to concentrate on the overall perceived loudness as you set this stop relative to the principal.

(3) Next, you need to set amps #3 and #4 to match the levels you have set on #1 and #2. Turn on the great principal along with the next four stops to its right. That will give you a decent great ensemble sound to use for this test. Now, turn knobs #1 and #3 on and off alternately so you can verify that they do both sound the same, more less. The outcome should be that you set #3 so that it matches the level you were already getting from #1 after you adjusted it per the first two steps above. Do the same thing with channels #2 and #4. They need to have equal output.

After you have done all this, you may (hopefully) find that your knobs are set more or less just as they were when you got the organ. That will show that the original voicer did a decent job of balancing the four main channels.

AT this point, play the organ for a while to determine whether or not you have the overall volume about right. Use a variety of registrations (but no mixtures yet). If you think it is generally too loud, turn all the amps down by about the same amount. Or if it's too soft, turn them all up by the same amount.

(4) Now you can tinker with the bass and treble pots on DAC boards A and B. To check the bass pots, use DAC board A, FLUTE BASS to regulate the volume of the ContreBass 32. Use the DAC board B, FLUTE BASS to regulate the Diapason 16. These pedal stops should be quite bold, but you certainly don't want them to produce distortion or rattles. So err on the soft side for now.

The treble pots on both flute and main, boards A and B, can be adjusted to produce more or less overall brightness in the ensemble. Use a big registration with stops going up to 2' to check these. (Don't use any mixtures at this point, as they haven't yet been set.)

(5) The final step is the balance the two mixture channels with the rest of the organ. Once again, this is very subjective. You can start with setting the #5 and #6 knobs either as you received them, or set them both to about half way. Then listen and decide if you have the amount of mixture sound that you want. You can even try making one of the mixture channels louder than the other one, to see how that affects the blend between the fifths and the octaves of the mixture compositions. You can also tinker with the bass and treble pots of both flute and main sides of the DAC board C, if you'd like to see how these affect the mixture sound.

As you might guess, this is something of an arcane art. But once the channels are all in balance, you will find the tone pleasant, and perhaps most importantly, you will find that the chorus and celeste functions work best.

good luck!
        John
        ----------
        *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Jbird, thank you for the 'cookbook' type approach. I understand for directions and will do exactly as you direct.

Many Thanks
          74corvett

Comment

Working...
          X