X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Content" digital organs?

Dear readers,</P>

Can anyone offer an opinion on a brand of organ named "Content"? They come from Europe (Holland or Belgium?) and seem like an alternative for us po' folks who would like a real pipe organ. Have you heard or played one? What about prices? Any info welcome.</P>

What about Bedient? Thanks!</P>

Re: &quot;Content&quot; digital organs?

[quote user="PrayerBookAnglican"]

Dear readers,</P>

Can anyone offer an opinion on a brand of organ named "Content"? They come from Europe (Holland or Belgium?) and seem like an alternative for us po' folks who would like a real pipe organ. Have you heard or played one? What about prices? Any info welcome.</P>

What about Bedient? Thanks!</P>

[/quote]</P>

I have heard that Content doesn't quite have as solid construction as some other brands. I have their CD of their big drawknob model. It doesn't sound too bad.</P>

The one Content model I played was re-badged as a Hammond classical organ. It was a small one manual with spinet pedals. It sounded pretty good for the price. Hammond has since stopped selling Content organs re-badged as Hammonds. I don't know how they are available in the U.S. anymore.</P>

Bill</P>

Comment

Hello,</p>

Regarding Content, they are a small Dutch manufacturer. They did have an alliance with Hammond a few years back, but that is no longer. Hammond says they had trouble selling them, and also had trouble getting parts and tech support out of them.</p>

The most recent models are better sounding than the ones they sold to Hammond. Possibly better built as well.</p>

I played a "Mondri" model awhile back, and it seemed a pretty reasonable organ. At least decent for a house organ. The tone was not as realistic as some other brands. The tonal concept was sort of Dutch/English. The tone generation sounds like a mixture of sample playback and synthesis.
      </p>

Pricing in Canada is reasonable, but service on a lot of them is not so hot from the distributor/dealer.</p>

As for Bedient - they build pipe organs in the "French Classic" style.</p>

AV</p>

[quote user="radagast"][quote user="PrayerBookAnglican"]
      </p>

Dear readers,</p>

Can anyone offer an opinion on a brand of organ named "Content"? They come from Europe (Holland or Belgium?) and seem like an alternative for us po' folks who would like a real pipe organ. Have you heard or played one? What about prices? Any info welcome.</p>

What about Bedient? Thanks!</p>

[/quote]</p>

I have heard that Content doesn't quite have as solid construction as some other brands. I have their CD of their big drawknob model. It doesn't sound too bad.</p>

The one Content model I played was re-badged as a Hammond classical organ. It was a small one manual with spinet pedals. It sounded pretty good for the price. Hammond has since stopped selling Content organs re-badged as Hammonds. I don't know how they are available in the U.S. anymore.</p>

Bill</p>[/quote]

Comment

Hello Prayer,</P>

I can recommend Content very well. I used to have a Content D1127 digital organ, and even when I worked for Johannus Organs ( also Dutch), I preferred Content more. The reason: The prices are lower, the sound-quality is in my opinion as ex-organ-builder much better. Specially in Tutti, Content melts the seperate stops better then Johannus. Content's accoustics like Hall, Chiff, Tremulants are closer to the real pipe-organ then Johannus. The chiff etc is user adjustable. And Content comes in many tastes, from a single keyboard to complete church-organ systems. Unfortunately my Content died because of short-circuit caused by lightening, so I decided to build my own organ in the Content Cabinet. (Toccata Virtual Organ)..And it sounds like Content again...Johannus? No, thanks...If I ever have enough money to buy a new one, I will buy a Content.</P>
        <P mce_keep="true"></P>

With kind regards, etude57</P>

Toccata freeware virtual pipe-organ: http://www.vlabs-online.com</P>
        <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

[quote user="Etude57"]

Hello Prayer,</P>

I can recommend Content very well. I used to have a Content D1127 digital organ, and even when I worked for Johannus Organs ( also Dutch), I preferred Content more. The reason: The prices are lower, the sound-quality is in my opinion as ex-organ-builder much better. </P>

Unfortunately my Content died because of short-circuit caused by lightening, so I decided to build my own organ in the Content Cabinet. (Toccata Virtual Organ)..And it sounds like Content again...Johannus? No, thanks...If I ever have enough money to buy a new one, I will buy a Content.</P>
          <P mce_keep="true"></P>

With kind regards, etude57</P>

Toccata freeware virtual pipe-organ: http://www.vlabs-online.com</P>
          <P mce_keep="true"></P>

[/quote]</P>
          <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Prices LOWER than Johannus? Interesting. Johannus is known to be significantly cheaper than Allen or Rodgers, so Content should be practically giving their organs away.</P>

On their website, I only see "Etude", D4000 series, D5000 series, and the D6000 series. I don't see a D1127.</P>

I have noticed that they have the same models year after year. Don't they spend anything on R&amp;D? </P>

You say your organ was shorted by "lightening"? Did you pour bleach or dye on it to change the color? Just kidding. I'm sure you meant "lightning".</P>
          <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

Before I discovered Hauptwerk I spent a couple of years checking out all the European and American mass-producers and a couple of "boutique" firms, including Phoenix, with a view to replacing my ageing Viscount. Rodgers and Allen I found way over-priced, with far too many gadgets that I would never use. Most of the Europeans - Johannus, Ahlborn, Viscount (sampled) andEminent (synthesis) - left me underwhelmed. Content seemed to have that extra "je ne sais quoi" and would have been my 2nd choice if I couldn't afford Phoenix. But then I discovered Hauptwerk, and the world changed....

Comment

Douglas,</p>

</p>

I would agree with what you wrote. A lot of electronic organs are underwhelming, especially if played from a console with just internal speakers. The audio in them just is not very good. Usually they are not very high resolution, bass shy, and fire sound straight at one's legs. Even, if they have external speakers, they still need considerable amount of adjusting, tweaking, etc. to sound up to potential. Most organs from the factory, have default voicing that leaves a lot to be desired.</p>

I also do think Hauptwerk, and other virtual programs will seriously affect the marketplace, and seriously hurt manfacturers that build complete organs.</p>

One just has to read forums about what transpired at the most recent MusikMesse in Frankfurt, so see what is happening.
              </p>

AV
              </p>

Comment

I was there the whole week, but the only report I've seen so far is on the German-language Sakral-Orgel-Forum.
                Where else should I look?</P>

Comment

[quote user="arie v"]

Douglas,</P>
                  <P mce_keep="true"></P>

I would agree with what you wrote. A lot of electronic organs are underwhelming, especially if played from a console with just internal speakers. The audio in them just is not very good. Usually they are not very high resolution, bass shy, and fire sound straight at one's legs. Even, if they have external speakers, they still need considerable amount of adjusting, tweaking, etc. to sound up to potential. Most organs from the factory, have default voicing that leaves a lot to be desired.</P>

I also do think Hauptwerk, and other virtual programs will seriously affect the marketplace, and seriously hurt manfacturers that build complete organs.</P>

One just has to read forums about what transpired at the most recent MusikMesse in Frankfurt, so see what is happening.
                  </P>

AV
                  </P>

[/quote]</P>

Arie </P>

I have seen a few reports about MusikMesse,but they have focused on synthesizers. What is happening in the world of organs?</P>

Bill</P>

Comment

Bill,</p>

I try to read the Sakral-Orgel Forum that Douglas alluded to. While there was some mention of Johannus and Ahlborn, the "excitement" was mostly over the virtual PC based stuff, like Hauptwerk and various sample sets available from different vendors. Companies like Allen, Rodgers, Content, were hardly mentioned, and others like Eminent, Benedikt, Viscount were not mentioned at all.</p>

There was mention of an Ahlborn organ designed in Cavaille-Coll style. I'm not sure whether it was even there, or just in picture form. I'm also not sure whether it is sample based on C-C organs. Johannus had 2 organs with self-contained case-work. They look bulky to me.</p>

Other than that I'm not sure the classical organ side of things generated much interest at the Frankfurt MusikMesse.</p>

AV
                    </p>

Comment

Arie,</P>

You're right - it didn't! - for the simple reason that there was nothing to get interested in or excited about from the mass-producers.</P>

The C-C-style console was on the Ahlborn stand. Most of the European builders offer something like this nowadays.
                      So far as I know, they're not sampled from C-C organs.</P>

I went to the Frankfurt Fair last year for the first time, and everyone then was saying how much smaller the stands were, and how much wider the aisles were than in previous years. This year the situation was even more marked - there were acres of empty space in the organ/piano hall.</P>

As you correctly say, most of the interest was on Hoffrichter's stand where we were demonstrating many of the best Hauptwerk sample sets on Hoffrichter's new HW console (I have to declare an interest here: I am Hoffrichter's UK representative and - unofficially- support and contact point for the rest of the English-speaking world as his English is very limited). As I have mentioned in previous posts, Hauptwerk is changing the face of the pipeless organ market - to a certain extent in churches, but much more so in the home practice and teaching studio market. For those who don't already know about HW, it gives you the chance to practice Bach/Buxtehude on a selection of "virtual" Silbermann and Schnitger organs, Widor/Vierne/Franck on Cavaille-Coll, American and other Romantic music on a big 1928 EM Skinner, etc. Every pipe of every note of these organs has been sampled in CD quality or better, including the natural room acoustic, key and stop action and blower noise, with a photo-realistic representation of the console of the organ you are playing on your computer screen, where you can see all the keys and stops moving as you play. Even with all the computer kit and other things you need, it's a helluva lot cheaper than going to Cappel, Vollenhove, Reinhardsgrimma, Rotha, Aix-en-Provence, Chicago, etc, every few days to practice the organ!</P>

For more info, loads of MP3 clips, etc, check out these sites:</P>

www.crumhorn-labs.com
                      www.hoffrichter-kirchenorgel.de
                      www.hoffrichter-organs.co.uk</P>

Happy browsing!</P>

Douglas.</P>

Comment

[quote user="dhm"]

Arie,</P>

As you correctly say, most of the interest was on Hoffrichter's stand where we were demonstrating many of the best Hauptwerk sample sets on Hoffrichter's new HW console (I have to declare an interest here: I am Hoffrichter's UK representative and - unofficially- support and contact point for the rest of the English-speaking world as his English is very limited). </P>

For more info, loads of MP3 clips, etc, check out these sites:</P>

www.crumhorn-labs.com
                        www.hoffrichter-kirchenorgel.de
                        www.hoffrichter-organs.co.uk</P>

Happy browsing!</P>

Douglas.</P>

[/quote]</P>

The problem is that Hoffrichter is VERY SLOW in coming out with information in English. I see pages like this:</P>

http://www.hoffrichter-kirchenorgel.de/de/Index.htm</P>

...and have no idea what I am seeing because I can't read German. What is this compact looking three manual console on the right?</P>

They seem to have organs with their own sounds as well as products to support using Hauptwerk. I have a picture of a three manual piece that has stops and on-board sounds. It looks very nice. Of course you have to add a pedalboard.</P>

Arie's company in Canada also has hardware to play Hauptwerk, but they havean AGO pedalboard.</P>

It's been years since I found this company, but I still know very little about them. Thay have mentioned a series called "Markus" which is supposed to be "4 organs in 1" with individual samples for each note.. Over a year later there is STILL no more info on this. No audio samples, CDs, nothing.</P>

I admit Hoffrichter SEEMS to be an interesting company but it all looks like vaporware.</P>

Bill</P>

Comment

Re: Hoffrichter

Hallo, Bill,</P>

I understand your frustration, and I often share it!
                          Hoffrichter has problems, which we are trying to resolve:
                          1. Neither he nor anyone else in the company speaks more than very basic broken English. Therefore enquiries in English have often been ignored.
                          2. To a certain extent he has been the victim of his own success, particularly since the advent of Hauptwerk Version 2 at the beginning of last year. The flood of orders overwhelmed his small workforce and he could not keep up.
                          3. Last autumn [fall] he had a serious accident from which he and the company are gradually recovering (he fell 10-12ft off some scaffolding, lay undiscovered for some time, then spent several months in the hospital with titanium rods in his broken arms and legs).</P>

Solutions:
                          1. Since May 2006 I have been (officially) his UK rep and (unofficially) a point of contact and supportfor the rest of the English-speaking world. Enquiries in English can be addressed to dhm _at_ hoffrichter-organs.co.uk [@-sign disguised to avoid spam!].
                          2. He has hired more labour (trebled his workforce, so I heard) and bought up a huge derelict factory building behind his showroom to convert into more workshop and production space (hence his accident).
                          3. Only time can solve this one.</P>

To clarify Hoffrichter's product lines:
                          1. Digital organs, both budget-range ("Capella" and Block-Organs) and high-end custom-builds ("Markus"), incorporating his own samples. For the high end he has developed his own systemwhich is note-by-note sampled like Hauptwerk, including action noise, but different: all dry samples (so good for church installations) no computer required, fast AMD chip on-board, up to four organs at 2GB RAM each (including the Trost organ of Altenburg Castle), new organs and updates by USB memory stick.
                          2. MIDI consoles for use with Hauptwerk.</P>

Both lines are available in static and portable versions. The Capella series includes internal speakers. The portable versions consist of separate keyboard block and pedalboard, and the stand and bench come to pieces and flat-pack, so everything will go in the trunk of your car in a few minutes.

The compact 3-manual to which you refer is their new Hauptwerk console which we showcased at the Frankfurt Music Fair last week. Despite appearances, this is also portable - the "sideboards" are held in place by a couple of wing-nuts and connected by a flat cable. The wooden stand and bench also flat-pack like the others described above. This is available in 2- or 3-manual versions, with64 rocker-tab stops (as shown) or smaller white or black LED buttons, or illuminated drawstops; this dispenses with the need for a touch-screen. Also on the horizon are drawstops with LED displays that will change the stop-names depending on which HW organ is loaded. Standard price includes rocker-tabs (smaller buttons are a bit cheaper) and basic FATAR tracker-touch keyboards (very good); wood-covered, or solid wood keys are optional extras. The 3-man starts at around 6,500 Euro in Germany or 5,000 pounds in UK.</P>

Once we have reliable UK distribution sorted out (hopefully later this year), we will start looking across the Pond. Any advice on how to proceed withthis, from those who know the market over there, would be much appreciated.</P>

Bill (or anyone else), if you want more info, or to discuss any of this at greater length, please feel free to mail me off-list or call me (I have a New Hampshire number to save you the cost of calling transatlantic, or Skype).</P>

Happy Easter to all.</P>

Douglas.</P>

Comment

[quote user="dhm"]

Hallo, Bill,</P>

To clarify Hoffrichter's product lines:
                            1. Digital organs, both budget-range ("Capella" and Block-Organs) and high-end custom-builds ("Markus"), incorporating his own samples. For the high end he has developed his own systemwhich is note-by-note sampled like Hauptwerk, including action noise, but different: all dry samples (so good for church installations) no computer required, fast AMD chip on-board, up to four organs at 2GB RAM each (including the Trost organ of Altenburg Castle), new organs and updates by USB memory stick.
                            2. MIDI consoles for use with Hauptwerk.</P>

Both lines are available in static and portable versions. The Capella series includes internal speakers. The portable versions consist of separate keyboard block and pedalboard, and the stand and bench come to pieces and flat-pack, so everything will go in the trunk of your car in a few minutes.

The compact 3-manual to which you refer is their new Hauptwerk console which we showcased at the Frankfurt Music Fair last week. Despite appearances, this is also portable - the "sideboards" are held in place by a couple of wing-nuts and connected by a flat cable. The wooden stand and bench also flat-pack like the others described above. This is available in 2- or 3-manual versions, with64 rocker-tab stops (as shown) or smaller white or black LED buttons, or illuminated drawstops; this dispenses with the need for a touch-screen. Also on the horizon are drawstops with LED displays that will change the stop-names depending on which HW organ is loaded. Standard price includes rocker-tabs (smaller buttons are a bit cheaper) and basic FATAR tracker-touch keyboards (very good); wood-covered, or solid wood keys are optional extras. The 3-man starts at around 6,500 Euro in Germany or 5,000 pounds in UK.</P>

Once we have reliable UK distribution sorted out (hopefully later this year), we will start looking across the Pond. Any advice on how to proceed withthis, from those who know the market over there, would be much appreciated.</P>

Bill (or anyone else), if you want more info, or to discuss any of this at greater length, please feel free to mail me off-list or call me (I have a New Hampshire number to save you the cost of calling transatlantic, or Skype).</P>

Happy Easter to all.</P>

Douglas.</P>

[/quote]</P>

Douglas,</P>

Can you post your email? I would like to keep in touch. I hope that if Hoffrichter does come "across the pond" that they offer an AGO pedalboard. Do they have any demo recordings? Especially of the new Markus series? Drawstops with LED displays are something I have heard other organists want for organs with multiple suites. What are the four organs in the Markus series? Thanks.</P>

Bill</P>

Comment

Hallo, Bill,</P>

To answer your questions:

Can you post your email? I would like to keep in touch.
                              &gt;&gt; E-mail address is in my previous post (with the @ sign disguised).</P>

I hope that they offer an AGO pedalboard.
                              &gt;&gt; He says he will build an English/American one when somebody orders one.
                              &gt;&gt; Somebody has, and I'm waiting to collect it later this month.</P>

Do they have any demo recordings?
                              &gt;&gt; A few brief MP3 clips on their German website.
                              &gt;&gt; Browse through the various PDF pages for "Downloads" then click on "Klangbeispiel".
                              &gt;&gt; Nothing for the Markus series as yet.</P>

What are the four organs in the Markus series?
                              &gt;&gt; 1. A neo-baroque 2-man Schuke from one of his local churches.
                              &gt;&gt; 2. The Altenburg Castle large 2-man Trost.
                              &gt;&gt; 3-4-...... Whatever else you want to load in the available space.</P>

Provided the sample-set producers are happy and their licensing conditions permit it (which will not always be the case), it MAY be possible to convert some Hauptwerk sample-sets to run on Markus.</P>

Hope this helps.</P>

Douglas.</P>

Comment

Working...
                              X