X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotating cabinets

Hello all:
    I have been told that large speaker cabinets (Allen Sr-200, for instance) should be rotated 180 degrees each two or three years, in order to compensate the gravity force on the speakers. ¿Is it true, or a myth?

Thanks

Luis

I do it every time I change the air in my tires!

(Just kidding.) I don't think that's on anybody's list of routine maintenance. It's conceivable that gravity could eventually cause distortion of the cone suspensions, but I'm guessing that would take centuries to produce a measurable change, and other things would go wrong with the speaker long before gravity got to it.
    John
    ----------
    *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Wow! That's a good one. Most large speaker cabinets are asymmetrical - with the the low frequency driver(s) on the bottom because they are less directional and the floor boundary helps boost the bass a bit. The high frequency driver(s) are on the top, since they are more directional and need to be at a level closer to the ear. Tower speaker cabinets are even more exaggerated in that spacing. Turning them upside down would negate all of that careful design. And if the speakers have special hardware on the bottom, then that will be on top when you turn them over.

If manufacturers felt that gravity would be a problem with the drivers I suspect they would improve the design rather than have you invert the speaker cabinet.

I think someone is pranking you.
      Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand. Allen RMWTHEA.3 with RMI Electra-Piano; Allen 423-C+Gyro; Britson Opus OEM38; Steinway AR Duo-Art 7' grand piano, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI; Hammond 9812H with roll player; Roland E-200; Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico grand piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with MIDI, Allen MADC-2110.

Comment

Originally posted by AllenAnalog View Post
        Wow!
        I think someone is pranking you.
        Hello¡ I just was given this source for the information:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...-happy.218988/

Comment

I read through that link and found it a bit amusing. It sounds legit from reading through but doesn’t sound well researched at all.

If there’s any truth to it, I suspect it has something to do with speaker design and rigidity of the components. I’m not sure it would be something you could generalise and say it would happen to all older speakers. I had a pair of BIC Venturi speakers from the late 70’s which included a 12” woofer (not the original owner, but all original parts) and kept them until something like 2008. They were totally fine, and BIC wasn’t exactly known for spectacular build quality. My anecdotal evidence is at least as convincing as the OP in that thread.

But if you want to rotate them yearly then go for it :)
          Viscount C400 3-manual
          8 channels + 2 reverb channels (w/ Lexicon MX200)
          Klipsch RSX-3 speakers and Klipsch Ultra 5.1 subwoofers

Comment

Would it not make more sense to rotate the drivers (assuming that they can be unbolted easily) while keeping the cabinets in their normal orientation?

Of much greater importance is interchanging the positive and negative wires in all bass speaker cables from time to time so they do not take an electrical "set." Otherwise, their resistance will rise slowly over time as the crystalline structure of the copper conductors is subjected to unidirectional electric fields. A similar phenomenon is exhibited by the liquid crystal used in LCD panels--for this reason, the drive voltage for LCDs is actually AC rather than DC.

Reversing the wires to high-frequency speakers is not typically necessary since current levels are so low.

Comment

Originally posted by rjsilva View Post

But if you want to rotate them yearly then go for it :)
              NOOO. I do not want to do that troublesome job. Those cabinets are located behind this facade and it is really a problem to go up there. Thanks to all for your "negative" contributions¡¡

file:///Users/luis/Desktop/Captura%20de%20pantalla%202018-08-07%20a%20las%2010.38.58%20p.m..png

Luis

Comment

Rodgers/Electrovoice recommended rotating the 30" woofer once every two years.

Greg
                Attached Files

Comment

The cabinets are up there: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 5.11.17 p.m..png
Views:	1
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	606189

(Thanks Lamar)

Comment

Working...
                  X