X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johannus Opus 5 Pedal problem

Here's an organ emergency situation

The pedal F# (middle of board) on a Johannus Opus 5, the note which has been
    silent for the last two weeks or so, today decided it was time to make
    up for its past , and is now sounding continually.

It continued to speak, even when removing the pedal board and taking it
    completely off, and far away!
    This is much worse than it being dead!

Any ideas about how I might be able to silence it before I can really dig into it?

Thanks!
    Can't play an note but love all things "organ" Responsible for 2/10 Wurli pipe organ, Allen 3160(wife's), Allen LL324, Allen GW319EX, ADC4600, many others. E-organ shop to fund free organ lessons for kids.

Do you know if the pedalboard uses magnets and reed switches?
    Viscount C400 3-manual
    8 channels + 2 reverb channels (w/ Lexicon MX200)
    Klipsch RSX-3 speakers and Klipsch Ultra 5.1 subwoofers

Comment

Yes, magnets and reed switches. I told the owner already to check the reed switch. Thanks
      Can't play an note but love all things "organ" Responsible for 2/10 Wurli pipe organ, Allen 3160(wife's), Allen LL324, Allen GW319EX, ADC4600, many others. E-organ shop to fund free organ lessons for kids.

Comment

Hi,

I assume this is a digital organ of say 15 or so years old. The reason I bring this up, is that there was an analog Opus 5 that Johannus manufactured in the 70s.

I would suggest that the problem is a broken reed switch. First the hermetic seal went due to the glass breaking, then the the fingers that make contact caused a closed circuit. Replacing the reed switch is the answer.

If per chance it is not that, check the height of the switchrail. Sometimes, especially if the organ has been moved, there needs to be a adjustment made to the rail. However that adjustment affects all switches near it.

AV

Comment

Just a month ago we were called to check a 15 year old Johannus with stuck pedal note. Turned out moisture or dampness had corroded a reed switch just as Arie describes above. Changed out the switch and several others around it prophylactically. Easy to do as the switch PC boards are easily removable.
          John
          ----------
          *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Thanks all for confirming my suspicions. I'll get to the organ later this week, but for now I 'll tell my friend to just clip the wire to the switch.

Comment

Working...
            X