Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safe to use my Wurlitzer missing an AMP?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe to use my Wurlitzer missing an AMP?

I just sent my lower amp out for service, down to Morelocks.

The upper amp plugs into the lower amp, which plugs into the wall.
    But, is there any reason I can not plug the upper amp directly into the wall? So I have something to play while I wait?

There is some warning tag on it saying not to power the spectratone by itself? no worried about that.

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry that nobody has come forward for this question, and I'm no kind of expert. That said, it sounds like that top unit is a preamp or power supply.

Have you already tried it?
    -- I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic -- 1899 Kimball, Rodgers W5000C, Conn 643, Hammond M3, L-102 - "Let no man belong to another who can belong to himself." (Alterius non sit qui suus esse potest​ -) ​Paracelsus

Comment

No, the 120v from the wall goes into the lower amp, through a huge cap, then off to the upper amp, and spectratone. There is also some sort of warning tag on the upper amp about power, so I didnt take the chance.

Plus. Morelock received my amp on a friday, rebuilt it, and shipped it back on the same day. That is pretty amazing service. There is probably 15 organ "shops" within a few hours drive from me, but they all gave me higher rates, and much longer turn around times.

The amps are all easy to remove and service, but there is also another unit behind them with 2 transformers and 4 large caps. Its all hardwired in, so sure what it does. (behind yellow circle)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0329.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	606442

Comment

Wow, it looks nice inside. I hope that company can give you guidance, too. I recall there was an Wurly enthusiast here at the forum, but I haven't seen him recently. If you search around here you'll find him.

I'll be interested in watching as you work on it.
        -- I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic -- 1899 Kimball, Rodgers W5000C, Conn 643, Hammond M3, L-102 - "Let no man belong to another who can belong to himself." (Alterius non sit qui suus esse potest​ -) ​Paracelsus

Comment

Working...
        X