This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodgers 220 II

The local music store here in Nashville has a Rodgers 220 II available. I'm supposed to go view it in the next few days.</p>

I'm a 58 year old who'd like to have a practice organ at home. I only play a bit and would like to improve.</p>

Can someone give me some info on this organ? The only thing I know about it now is that it's an old analog and has three speaker cabinets.</p>

What kind of price should I pay?</p>

How many tone generators might it have?

Good choice/Bad choice? I have no idea.</p>

Any help would be appreciated.</p>

Barry

</p>

Re: Rodgers 220 II

[quote user="Barry"]

The local music store here in Nashville has a Rodgers 220 II available. I'm supposed to go view it in the next few days.</P>

I'm a 58 year old who'd like to have a practice organ at home. I only play a bit and would like to improve.</P>

Can someone give me some info on this organ? The only thing I know about it now is that it's an old analog and has three speaker cabinets.</P>

What kind of price should I pay?</P>

How many tone generators might it have?

Good choice/Bad choice? I have no idea.</P>

Any help would be appreciated.</P>

Barry

[/quote]</P>

If the store is a Rodgers dealer, I would ask if Rodgers still supports that model with parts. Rodgers has been known to drop support of older organs.</P>

If the store isn't a Rodgers, Find the nearest Rodgers dealer and ask them the same question.</P>

Since it's an analog model, and if memory serves, it's two manual. And so I personally wouldn't pay more than $500 to $800 for it.Are they going to deliver an dinstall? </P>

When you check it out, pay close attention to the celestes. If celestes sound like a phase shifter or chorus effect, then it has one rank of oscillators.</P>

Also be sure all the oscillators are tuned correctly. No notes or stops should be out of tune (of course celestes should be a couple of cents off).</P>

Bill</P>

Comment

Bill,

I don't know about delivery/install yet. I'll have to check that out when I get there.</p>

Would this organ be appropriate to later install a MIDI out?
      </p>

Comment

[quote user="Barry"]

Bill,

I don't know about delivery/install yet. I'll have to check that out when I get there.</P>

</P>

[/quote]</P>

I don't know that much about MIDI retro kits. It may be that the analog organs used a different keying system than the digital ones and therefore requires a different MIDI kit. Some older analog Rodgers from the late 80s had MIDI right before Rodgers went digital.</P>

Comment

[quote user="Barry"]

Bill,

I don't know about delivery/install yet. I'll have to check that out when I get there.</P>

</P>

[/quote]</P>

I don't know that much about MIDI retro kits. It may be that the analog organs used a different keying system than the digital ones and therefore requires a different MIDI kit. Some older analog Rodgers from the late 80s had MIDI right before Rodgers went digital.</P>

You should check out this group:</P>

http://www.frogmusic.com/rodgers.html</P>

It's for Rodgers organ owners and there is a wealth of information, from the users there, to be had.</P>

The group you want is the ROUG group.</P>

Bill</P>

Comment

Hi,</p>

The Rodgers 220 II is perhaps the finest Rodgers 2 manual organ from the 70s. In fact it probably is about the same as a Rodgers 330, a 3 manual but basically the Great and Choir were the same thing.</p>

The Rodgers 220 II is the second version of the 220. It has at least 2 full sets of independent oscillators, plus a celeste rank of oscillators. Properly tuned you could generate quite an ensemble. If I remember correctly, the Swell and the Great were basically separate divisions of different colour.</p>

These organs were very well built, and generally very reliable. In fact they were so reliable that they suffered from service neglect. Often they do not get tuned for years, and a lot of little things don't get attention. They are for the most part easy to fix. While it is true that Rodgers doesn't support older organs terribly well (especially the early 80s MIKASCO organs, easy tripper type combination actions, and possibly other things like certain ICs), this organ should be fairly well supported, as it doesn't have any computers in it.</p>

Properly set up they sound about as good as any Rodgers from the 70s could, and has quality build to boot. It gets my recommendation if it is in good working order.</p>

As to price, figure on no more than $1,400 and tack on moving, and the cost of getting a dealer or technician to set it up properly and do a service on it. Total cost should be no more than $2,600. That is max.</p>

One thing though about these organs, to service them you have to have at least a 5' clearance behind the back of the organ, as the oscillator racks and keyers are on door panels that swing out. These door panels are basically the full size of the back of the console.</p>

Arie V</p>

Comment

Working...
            X