This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodgers 840 with Amnesia

Got our 840 mostly fixed up but the capture action does not seem to work. Pushing pistons shows some old memory settings but any attempt to clear or set new ones won't work. I can't find a battery, I don't think it has one. Does it get set in a ROM? What board controls all this? It's a puzzler..
    Thanks in advance.
    John
    Can't play an note but love all things "organ" Responsible for 2/10 Wurli pipe organ, Allen 3160(wife's), Allen LL324, Allen GW319EX, ADC4600, many others. E-organ shop to fund free organ lessons for kids.

To set any combinations, you need to unlock the memory--while holding the set piston, press M1 (or M2). The Memory piston will start flashing; enter the combination lock code using the general pistons--default is 1 for memory 1 and 2 for memory 2. After entering the correct code, the M1/M2 piston will stop flashing.

You can change the unlock codes as described in the users manual.

The organ does have batteries and these are under the metal shield in the upper left hand corner on the rack closest to the back. The earlier systems used two rechargeable, sealed, lead-acid cells, about the size of a D battery; later systems used a Lithium battery soldered on the CPU board. Defective batteries will prevent the memory from being retained when power is off, but won't prevent unlocking and changing combinations while power is on.

Comment

Thanks Toodles,

I did not have a user's manual.
      Can't play an note but love all things "organ" Responsible for 2/10 Wurli pipe organ, Allen 3160(wife's), Allen LL324, Allen GW319EX, ADC4600, many others. E-organ shop to fund free organ lessons for kids.

Comment

Check your email--I just sent it to you.

Comment

This forum is amazing. Followed the reset procedure in the manual - all works fine!

Now one more question: the speakers going with this organ were trashed. It will now speak in a small space. I have a variety of smaller cabinets available, everything from larger Allen HC series to other commercial units down to 8" drivers. I have a few home type subs as well. Any recommendation on how to go about selecting speakers for the 6 channels this organ has? Again, I need to consider the space.

John

Comment

My "Go-To" speaker recommendation for any Rodgers or Allen organ are the Allen HC Series models. They are workhorses with good efficiency, smooth response, and of only moderate size.

If you have Allen HC-12 speakers they will work very well for the analog Rodgers organs, and even on the Pedal channel. Remember that the Rodgers provides note by note level controls for the lowest notes of the 32 ft. octave. Allen built a bass cabinet that was just the woofer of the HC-12 system--model HC-20, and it would be good for the pedal channel as well.

Allen HC-14/15 are great speakers for the other channels--but not for the Pedal channel. An HC-12 would be fine as well for those channels.

As far as "commercial units", you can try them. Look for units with solid response down to at least 64 Hz.

For subwoofers, the Allen HC-12 or 20 are the most compact you'll probably find to have acceptable bass performance. Most home subwoofers are hopeless for the 32 ft. bottom octave unless they are high end ones, such as THX rated. The Allen B40 Rodgers P32 and P1 are much larger and the ones most often recommend for the 32 ft. bottom octave. Allen B20 is about the size of the HC-12/20 but not as efficient, so is often used in pairs.
            Last edited by toodles; 10-27-2018, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X