X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of moving an AGO organ?

Hello,</P>

I'm curious about the costs of having a 2 or 3 manual AGOorgan moved by a professional organ mover. This would be a good example:</P>

I ask because I am hoping to find a church that's looking to give awaytheir organ- seems to be more an more common nowadays. I'm WAAY too poor to buy an organ..lol. I consider myself an amateur organist at this point, but I want to become a serious classical organist. I feel two of the most important ways to do this is get lessons, and get an AGO organ that I can practice on at home when I can't practice at church. This is becoming more and more common now as the church has so many programs going on. That's great, it means the church is active and growing, but it can make practicing difficult. And somehow, playing Bach and Vienre on a Hammond just doesn't seem right!</P>

Anyway, until today, I had never really considered what it would be like to move a console weighing about 600 pounds. In the past, I had moved organs on my own, with a few friends, but that was Hammonds, which are quite a bit less (most was 400). I am guessing that something like this is beyond the scope of an amateur.</P>

I'm pretty sure Allen still moves their organs, I'm not sure if they would move another company's organ or not.</P>

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!</P>

Thanks,</P>

Jon</P>

Re: Cost of moving an AGO organ?

I really don't see any reason to pay a company to move an organ. I have never payed anyone to move an organ. Most AGO organs take between three and five guys to move. For something like that Rodgers, I would rent a U-haul and round up three-ish friends. Offer them $25.00 each plus lunch and go pick it up. When you rent the U-haul, get a few piano dollies or if you feel it's worth it you could use roll-n-kari's, but that would just be too easy. [;)]

Comment

Just remembered, I didn't add this: To get into my place would involve going up a few stairs. That's what I was most afraid of. In regards to the dollies, do U-haul places have any dollies available, or where would yourent those from?</P>

-Jon</P>

EDIT: Do Digital organs weigh less than analog? In particular the Allen digitals, which use external amp racks? I am thinking perhaps this 632-D that my church will be giving away may not be quite as heavy as say an old Rodgers analog with racks of oscillators in it. Just curious.</P>

Comment

Stairs or steps? How many? I believe the dollies are available from U-haul for a nominal fee. Digitals generally weigh significantly less than analogs, as a digital has, maybe fifty pounds worth of electronics most of the weight is in the casework, but an analog can have hundreds of pounds of tone generation. </p>

EDIT: Don't believe me? Check this out:</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

That is basically the extent of circuitry in my Allen 301 which is dimensionally quite a bit larger than all my other organs, but ways less than everything, but the E.</p>

Comment

Clavier,</P>

Thanks for the insight and cool pictures. That was most helpful. Now I assume a 632-D would have more in it, but still, the same principle applies. That certainly is a lot less than an analog Rodgers I saw. I saw what looked like a few analog oscillators. Is that an analog celeste? If it is, how do you like it? The 632 doesn't have that, it uses the Celeste effect, which applies to all stops.</P>

In regards to the stairs, it's 5, with a landing at the bottom, so in effect six.</P>

Thanks!</P>

-Jon</P>

Comment

Krikey! It's doing it again!</P>

AHHH!!!!</P>

LOL</P>

Comment

[quote user="Vercus"]

Is that an analog celeste? If it is, how do you like it?
              </p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

OKAY, this is about the sixth time I have tried to reply to this post. It keeps getting deleted by people who take it upon themselves to turn off the computer when I walk away to get a drink of water! so here goes the condensed version.</p>

Yes, it is analog. It sounds good. the celeste stops are some of the best sounding in the organ. They give the other stops a warm stringy sound. </p>

About the stairs, don't sweat it. I had to bring my Allen in through a window with a hill next to it!
              </p>

-Joe.
              </p>

Comment

Thanks for the info, Joe. Is there any way to tell when looking at an Allen if it has the analog celeste, other than opening it up? Does it have different stop tabs for it?</p>

Thanks,</p>

Jon</p>

Comment

Hard to say. On my 301 there are two stops one on each manual. Voix Celeste on the Swell and Dulcianna Celeste on the great. I think that with these organs, (MOS), any actual speaking stop with word celeste in it's title is generated by an analog celeste. Also, the celeste stops only have a three octave compass.

Comment

The organs with two or more computers ordinarily created a celeste by slightly raising the pitch of one computer, hence the celeste tuning tab.<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>The 300 series organs (with one computer) used a set of oscillators for the celeste.  I believe an Allen person said there were 44;  if so, it's up to high G.  </DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Other than the 300 series I've never heard of any other Allen digital organs with oscillator voices.</DIV>

Comment

Working...
                    X