This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organ budget determined,...Allen ADC series most likely candidate

Well,...I feel that I have finally determined what my organ budget is going to be,and how large of an organ that will allow. $5k is the most I can go,..and since I have decided I want Allen,...and ONLY Allen,...ADC series is as new as I will be able to go,...MAYBE lower line MDS series like MDS-6 if I get really lucky,...but DEFINITELY ADC series for sure. Brand spanking new organs out of the question! All that being said,...which ADC model? Well,...I'd like an ADC-1140,...or 1160 with internal audio. I will not buy off ebay,...I PREFER to go with a dealer/rep in order for better service,and a warranty,...even if it's only a one to two year warranty,...that is better than nothing. ADC-2140 with external audio(two speakers max is all I'd have room for)may also be a possible candidate. Not quite ready to buy just yet,...need to get a vehicle I don't need anymore sold first! I want moving capture on my organ,...I don't want the "blind capture" system!
    Late 1980's Rodgers Essex 640

$5k should get you plenty of good options if you’re willing to dig around a little. I got my full cage ADC-5000 off Craigslist, pristine condition, extraordinarily well-maintained with drawknobs and the Brass Choir TT-4 option, along with 14 HC14 speaker cabinets, for $4k, and there are some here that would argue that was too much.

Comment

Don't dismiss the ADC-2160 and ADC-3160--both are the same size console as the ADC-1140 with expanded combination action, and both can run in a 2-channel or 4-channel mode with external speakers. Little bit larger stoplist, if I recall correctly if only by 1 or 2 stops.

Comment

If you can get to western Arkansas, I'll bet jbird604 could fix you up with something.

David

Comment

Right now there is an Allen ADC6000-DKC Digital Organ with MIDI, Card Reader and 16 Speaker Cabinets on Ebay for $5,000. If I didn't already have two organs, it would be moving into my music room shortly.
          Mike

My home organ is a Theatre III with an MDS II MIDI Expander.

Comment

Originally posted by toodles View Post
            Don't dismiss the ADC-2160 and ADC-3160--both are the same size console as the ADC-1140 with expanded combination action, and both can run in a 2-channel or 4-channel mode with external speakers. Little bit larger stoplist, if I recall correctly if only by 1 or 2 stops.
            2 channel external audio would be PLENTY for my small home if I were to find any one of those two organs you mentioned,...4 channels would blow the roof and windows out! My living room has thick carpet,so that will dampen the acoustics a bit!

- - - Updated - - -

Can you provide photos of these organs?

Comment

Originally posted by Dewey643 View Post
              2 channel external audio would be PLENTY for my small home if I were to find any one of those two organs you mentioned,...4 channels would blow the roof and windows out! My living room has thick carpet,so that will dampen the acoustics a bit!
              Just so you know, quantity of independent audio channels is not about volume, it’s about producing improved sound via separation of stops. I use 11 channels (9 from organ and 2 reverb channels) because it makes my organ sound better. It’s not any louder than if I used 2.
              Viscount C400 3-manual
              8 channels + 2 reverb channels (w/ Lexicon MX200)
              Klipsch RSX-3 speakers and Klipsch Ultra 5.1 subwoofers

Comment

Originally posted by m&m's View Post
                Right now there is an Allen ADC6000-DKC Digital Organ with MIDI, Card Reader and 16 Speaker Cabinets on Ebay for $5,000. If I didn't already have two organs, it would be moving into my music room shortly.
                I would love to have the drawknob version of that organ as well, but since I already have the stoptab version, it isn't worth the trouble.

The organ can, indeed, be toned down to work in a home, however, it is 7 channels (minimum) unless you add sub bass crossover. If you use the standard HC-12/HC-14/HC-15 speakers, each speaker is approximately 1.5' square by 3' tall. If you lay them on their sides, you can fit 4 speakers stacked on their sides under a standard 8' ceiling with a bit of room left over. They take less space than a chair when stacked that way.

Hope you find a good organ to use soon! Happy hunting.

Michael

P.S. A much larger space will allow the sounds to blend better, however, that is the case with any size organ you purchase.
                Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Isn't the ADC-6000 console one of the not-through-the-average-doorway types?

--- Tom
                  Rodgers 660 with additional analog rack sets (practice), 36D/C in digital conversion, Yamaha CVP-107

Comment

Originally posted by twnelson View Post
                    Isn't the ADC-6000 console one of the not-through-the-average-doorway types?

--- Tom
                    Tom,

That's correct. It's one of the C-console organs–one of the largest they made. One of my organs has that console (ADC-8000), and it is around 40" deep w/o pedals. It is approximately 72" wide, and about 56" high. Big console, but if you have the sliding doors (or double doors) for it.;-)

Michael
                    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

Comment

ADC-3160 photo http://www.heritagechurchorgan.com/w...2-50-30-PM.jpg here.

The ADC-2160 is the same console, but has stop tabs.

Comment

That 3160 looks even more enticing,...what I mean is,...I'm liking the drawknobs over the stop tabs of the 2160,...but I'd be happy with either one! How many channels can these two organs run on again?

- - - Updated - - -

That would be one heck of a practice organ! Drawknobs,toe studs,card reader! MERCY!

Comment

Now I find myself salivating over that 3160,...thanks a lot,toodles! LOL!!! Photos of a 2160?
                          Last edited by Dewey643; 12-30-2018, 06:23 PM. Reason: Add comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dewey643 View Post
                            Now I find myself salivating over that 3160,...thanks a lot,toodles! LOL!!! Photos of a 2160?
                            This photo will probably go by the wayside eventually: https://gpaulmusic.com/wp-content/up.../ADC2160-2.jpg.

Enjoy!

Michael

Comment

Internally these are 6 channel organs: 2 for swell, 2 for Great & Pedal, 2 for alterable voices. In all of this group of organs except the 3160 they are internally mixed to 2 channels, for the 3160 they are mixed to 4 channels. The 3160 can be converted to 2 channel operation easily; the others can be converted to 4 channels but that requires an additional 2 channels of amplification.

The conversion of the 3160 to 2 channels just involves changing some switches on the mixer board.
                              Last edited by toodles; 12-31-2018, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X