This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen Organ 505-B & MIDI

Could someone please tell me about the Allen 505-B? I understand it is an MOS-2.</p>

<ul>[*]Is it upgradeable to MIDI (send &amp; receive). If so, how?[*]What about the tone?[*]Is there a stoplist that anyone knows about?[*]Does the card reader read plastic or paper cards?[/list]

Thinking of getting it for a (very) small church I play for, and want to make sure they're not saddled with a "white elephant."</p>

Thanks in advance for your help.</p>

Mike from Maine.</p>
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Re: Allen Organ 505-B &amp; MIDI

</p>

I do not know the 505-B but I have had 23 years experience with a 225 which was one of the MOS 2 series. </p>

Allen will tell you that Mos 2 organs are not upgradeable to midi but there are a couple of 3rd party conversion kits - one from Harrison Labs. You would need to be tech savvy or have the support of a friendly technician to go down that road. While the tone is not up to contemporary standards it is surprisingly good considering that Allen were forced to use extremely short samples compared with those used today. Mos 2 used paper cards with (I think) a coating of Mica. In any case I am still using some purchased more than 20 years ago. Points to watch for in these older Allens include deterioration of the speaker surrounds if these have not already been replaced and deterioration of light dependent resistors (used in card reader and swell control). The small lamps in the card reader can also burn out at this age - best to replace them with light emitting diodes in series with a voltage dropping resistor - again Harrison Labs have a kit or would do the job for you. Sound can be sterile in an accoustically dry setting. If the organ has an original reverb unit fitted it is likely to be a spring reverb with a very artificial sound. Fitting a digital reverb is an option if you know what you're doing - this can cause loss of the swell control unless you put attenuators on the out put of the reverb unit - again see Harrison labs.</p>

</p>

Good luck</p>

Keith</p>

Comment

One further point</p>

Mos 2 organs had plug in boards - much of the service was carried out by using factory reconditioned exchange boards which had a 12 month warranty. My personal view after an expensive main board replacement failed just outside the warranty period is that the warranty period is too short - you may wish to consider the possibility of failures just out of warranty</p>

</p>

Keith</p>

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. They've helped me greatly.</p>

</p>

Mike from Maine.</p>
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

Comment

Everyone,</P>

Thank you so much for your input. I purchased the organ, and will be picking it up in a couple of weeks and installing it in the church where I play. They have graciously agreed to house the instrument (provided we can use it there), and allow the Symphony Orchestra to borrow it when needed for concerts.</P>

While it's not the largest or most wonderful instrument possible, it's a start. Hopefully, this will help them realize that a "real" organ, rather than a digital keyboard with only 1 or 2 registrations (chapel &amp; cathedral organ) is the ONLY option for a Symphony.</P>

Thanks again for everything, people.</P>

Michael from Maine.[:D][Y]</P>

Comment

Working...
          X