Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THIS Allen sounds like an acutal organ!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THIS Allen sounds like an acutal organ!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BELZfjx-6_Y&amp;mode=related&amp;search=</p>

</p>

Re: THIS Allen sounds like an acutal organ!!!

What makes this one sound so much better than any of the others??!!</p>

</p>

Buzzy[8-|]</p>

Comment

I can't tell what model this is, but it's obviously a nicer more pipe-like sound than many we've heard on youtube. Perhaps the microphone technique is better, maybe the speaker setup is better, the acoustics of the room. Or maybe the installer did a better job of finishing.</P>

On second listen/look, I'm guessing it's MDS. Doesn't sound like Renaissance/Quantum sampling, but it's post-ADC because it has the expression indicators.</P>

But I wouldn't bet the farm on it being MDS, as the youtube sound is just too fuzzy and granular.</P>

John</P>
      <P mce_keep="true"></P>
      John
      ----------
      *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Speaking of expression indicators, if he's playing baroque music, shouldn't they be all the way open? Would be for me anyway.</p>

Personally, I wouldn't judge an organ by hearing it on Youtube. The sound quality is just too poor. I bet the audio is about 64 KB per second. Comparatively, a CD is 1411 KBPS, and a good MP3 is at least 192 -320 KBPS. So you can see there's just nothing there to judge, it's terrible. Plus it appears it was recorded with the camcorder mic- take note of how it clicks when he shuts it off. Through these kinds of conditions, it would be hard to tell an Allen from a Rodgers from a Schantz as far as I'm concerned. The only true way to judge an organ is to play it, or at least here a good quality recording.</p>

This is why when I get my recordings done, I'm not posting to Youtube. I'll find some independent web hosting so I can host it in reasonable quality. I might consider forgoing video so I can keep the filesize down and still maintain reasonable audio quality.</p>

-Jon</p>

Comment

Jon,</P>

If you find a good free hosting site and figure out how to use it, please post the info. I'm thinking I'll do the same, if and when I can get my recordings done. Youtube really degrades the audio. MP3 files at even 128kbps sound muchbetter than youtube. On the organ manufacturer's sites they often post mp3's at 320 kbps. I read in a recent audio journal about a blind test comparing various mp3 rates and real CD's.From 256kbps on up, not one person they tested, including audiophiles and staffers at the journal,could tell the mp3 from the original CD.</P>

As you mention, I may forego the video.My son is into video editing bigtime, does a lot of youtube posting, but I know that he spends hours, sometimes days preparing a short video. I believe I can record and prepare an mp3 much quicker than that.</P>

John</P>
          John
          ----------
          *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

Comment

John,</p>

I wish that folks would be a little more discrete about what they post on YouTube. Most of what is posted, at least from a sound point of view is a disgrace to the actual instrument and by extension the builder of that instrument. </p>

Even so, in most instances it is easy to pick out what is a pipe organ and what is electronic. Most of what I have heard on youtube, electronic organs have a sonic glare and a too rigid behaviour that pipe organs just don't have. Even rather poor pipe organs sound like well........pipe organs on YouTube.</p>

AV</p>

P.S. About being able to detect the difference between mp3 and CD, a lot is going to depend on what kind of source material you use, and the resolution of the playback system. If your source material is based on original amplified material ( such as pop and rock) it ain't going to make much if any difference. But chamber music, subtle jazz, mass choir, and such you can usually tell the difference. At least I can, after I get the wax blown out of my ears.
            </p>

Comment

Arie,</P>

Agree. I "think" I'm sophisticated enough aurally to tell compressed music when I hear it.If I run across the article I'll post more info. I don't remember the content of the CD they used, but I remember thinking it was a valid test.</P>

Our beloved music of the KOI would be much hard to compress though, wouldn't it? [;)]</P>

John</P>
              <P mce_keep="true"></P>
              John
              ----------

Comment

err... arie, many people just post there for fun, perhaps for the benefit of their family and friends. I think you are taking You Tube too seriously. There are plenty of other sites for uploading music.

Comment

[quote user="buzzyreed"]

What makes this one sound so much better than any of the others??!!</p>

</p>

Buzzy[8-|]</p>

[/quote]</p>

Buzzy, I wouldn't be surprised if this Allen has a few ranks of pipes hooked up to it. It's hard to tell by the video. I worked at a church for a while on an Allen with 9 ranks of pipes. The organ was very similar to this one except it was a 2 manual instrument; the sound was very convincing because of the pipes, especially in recordings.</p>

Who knows?</p>

[H]</p>

Comment

See, that's what I thought. I think I asked him that on the youtube thing.. havne't have a chance to check to see if he answerd. Nice organ..</p>

</p>

buzzzzy</p>

</p>

Comment

Nope, he says it's all electronic.. hmmmmmm...[8-|]

Comment

[quote user="buzzyreed"]Nope, he says it's all electronic.. hmmmmmm...[8-|]
                        [/quote]</p><p style="text-align: left;">Sounds like Blumenfield's Theorem 86 at work.</p><p style="text-align: left;"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Courier; font-size: 14px; font-style: italic;">"Given enough bits/ resolution, you could sample down to the molecular level and restate reality in the digital domain"</span></p><p style="text-align: left;"> </p><p style="text-align: left;"> </p>

Comment

buzzy,</P>

Seeing different electronic installations every day I never cease to be amazed at how different they are one from another. I know of brand new spiffy latest-thing high-priced digital installations that sound like an old washtub, but others that really shine. I know of some aging digitals and even an analog or two that will blow you away. I'm not as pipe savvy as some of you guys, but I think I know pipes when I hear them. But I have been fooled more than once -- visiting a service in a strange church, enjoying the heck out of the organ and wanting to look at the pipes afterward, only to discover that there are none!Now and then an electronic in a really wonderful acoustic setting just sounds so good you can't believe it's not pipes.</P>

This one that you're admiring is probably just one of the happy ones that is in a delightful setting and maybe the installing dealer actually knew what an organ is supposed to sound like and spent some time on the finishing.</P>

I really think that the technology has less to do with it than we sometimes want to think. I believe that digital tone generation has been "good enough" for a long time, at least since the latter ADC days at Allen (late 80's) and the second go-round of PDI at Rodgers (mid-90's). Like Arie, I think the finest sounding Allen's that I ever hear are from that era and the MDS days. The added "realism" of the note by note voicing on Renaissance and Quantum (and Rodgers Trillium/Masterpiece) does not impress me.</P>

John</P>
                          <P mce_keep="true"></P>
                          John
                          ----------

Comment

Working...
                          X