This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cantor Model 730 Digital Organ

I've found one for sale about an hour away from me. Anyone out there know about Cantors and the model or at least the series in question for home practice? I think they have some relationship to Phoenix organs,I don't know.</P>

How would you compare a Cantor organto a "home version"(if there is such a thing) Allen, Rodgers,Johannus, Galanti or even Britson? Not looking for a perfect church-quality instrument just something with more realistic and distincttone quality and colorthanyouraverage "flutey" lowrey or baldwin parlor-type organ? Please let me know. Thanks.</P>

By the way, here's the stoplist and specs:</P>
    <DIV><FONT size=2>Pedal:</DIV></FONT><FONT color=#0000ff size=2>
    <DIV>Diapason 16, Subbas 16, Principal 8, Gedackt 8, Open Flute 4, Contra trumpet 16, Trumpet 8</DIV></FONT><FONT size=2>
    <DIV>Great :</DIV></FONT><FONT color=#0000ff size=2>
    <DIV>Quintation 16, Diapason 8, Rohr Flute 8, Gamba 8, Octave 4, Conical Flute 4, Twelfth 2 2/3, Octave 2,Cornet V, Mixture V, Trumpet 16, Trumpet 8, Tremulant</DIV></FONT><FONT size=2>
    <DIV>Swell :</DIV></FONT><FONT color=#0000ff size=2>
    <DIV>Diapason 8, Stopped Flute 8,Viola 8, Octave 4, Conical 4, Stopped Twelfth 2 2/3, Wald Flute 2, Sesqualter II, Scharf II-IV, Oboe 6, Regal 8, Tremulant</DIV>
    <DIV>General : Reverb, Great to Pedal, Swell to Pedal, Swell to Great.</DIV>
    <DIV>Master Volume, Chorus, Reverb Adjustment, Transposer</DIV>
    </FONT><FONT size=2></FONT><FONT color=#0000ff size=2>
    <DIV>Connections for Headphone and connections for external amplifier or speakers</DIV>
    <DIV>Parts and service available thru Cantor USA</DIV>
    <DIV>Build in speakers of about 500 Watt total.</DIV></FONT>

Re: Cantor Model 730 Digital Organ

rodenstock01,</P>

Contact Wayne Grauel at www.churchorgansales.com He should be able to answer your questions. I have no clue how old this organ is, but the present models are digital real-time synthesis organs and can be voiced note by note. I personally rank them way above all the builders you mentioned except maybe Phoenix. They are made in Holland and I do not believe they have any connection to Phoenix.</P>

Don (formerly from Buffalo and now living in Maryland)</P>

Comment

Hi,</p>

This Cantor 730, is an ANALOG organ (divider type) that is approx. 20 years old. It also does not have MIDI. I recently replaced one of that vintage, so I kind of know what they are like. If I were you, take a pass on this one.
      </p>

In their day, they were competitive with Johannus, Eminent, Content - all being Dutch and all using divider type generators. They generally sounded very mediocre. The Cantors of that period had problems with overheating, which caused tuning problems. Other than that I don't know all that much about them. I have serviced a few of them, and they were maybe better built than the Johannus or Eminents of the day.</p>

Biggest problem now is parts and service. I seriously doubt that Cantor USA can support these instruments with technical help or parts. Several years ago I sought help from the company in Holland, and I was told that the technical support and parts for the analog organs had been spun off to Musitronics. Here is S. Ontario, there were quite a number of them sold, but most are now considered un-fixable. I consider them for the most part orphans.</p>

The Cantor company started up about 1983. Built analog organs till about 1990. They pretty much went under then, but were re-organized, and started building instruments using the Musicom synthesis sound engine. Lately, they have been very quiet, their web-site is down, so I'm not sure what the status of the company is.</p>

AV</p>

</p>

Comment

Hi, Arie and all,</P>

So far as I know, Cantor is no more - at least in Europe. A colleague of mine was briefly their UK agent until they folded. He had a nice 2-manual for himself (which is now unplayable due to a failed part - Arie, any advice?) and a large order which was never delivered (sounds like another European company I know). Nice sound though, even if a bit too "continental" for my "English Romantic" ears!</P>

Best wishes,
        Douglas.</P>

Comment

Douglas,</p>

If they are indeed no more, it may be difficult to get any kind of help. That is usually the case with high tech products whose manufacturers are no longer in business. </p>

If you give me the model # of your colleague's instrument, and a brief description of what failed, I might be able to give a bit of advice. Actually, the control system and the tone generator was made by Musicom, so they might be of help. Power supplies can be repaired easily if analog and replaced if switching. Amplifiers should be fixable, if not can be replaced. A lot of the rest is just switches, which should be easy to replace. </p>

If the organ is not that old, it certainly helps. It is also possible that Wayne Grauel of Cantor-USA could be of assistance.</p>

Other than that, I can't be of much help.</p>

Arie V</p>

Comment

[quote user="arie v"]

Hi,</P>

The Cantor company started up about 1983. Built analog organs till about 1990. They pretty much went under then, but were re-organized, and started building instruments using the Musicom synthesis sound engine. Lately, they have been very quiet, their web-site is down, so I'm not sure what the status of the company is.</P>

AV</P>
            <P mce_keep="true">[/quote]</P>
            <P mce_keep="true">Somewhere I have a cassette tape of a digital Cantor from, I think, before 1990. They must have gotten into digital before they folded in the 90s.</P>
            <P mce_keep="true">BTW Arie, your opinion is being sought regarding an Ahlborn H-6 elsewhere on this forum.</P>

Comment

Working...
            X