X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baldwin 48c

Hello all! </P>

There is a Baldwin 48c in my area that I found on craigslist for 100 bucks. It's supposedly in excellent condition and everything works. I'm looking for a practice instrument for my apartment and I'm considering looking at it. </P>

Is this a good deal? Whats the sound like for these Baldwins?</P>

What should I look for in terms of condition? Any questions I should be asking? </P>

Whatever help I can get would be great! Thanks,</P>

Kevin</P>

Re: Baldwin 48c

1) That's unusually cheap for "excellent condition" make sure you get a chance to see and play the organ before buying it. In addition, make sure you can get a copy of the service manual in case you ever need to repair it. Finding out the service history and location history of the instrument are also good to do.
    </p>

I recently was looking for a practice organ myself. Here are some suggestions of little important things to look for:</p>

-What year is the organ from?</p>

-What technology does it use?</p>

-Do ALL of the notes play on BOTH manuals AND pedalboard on EVERY stop?</p>

-Is the tension the same on all of the keys and pedals (are some easier to push down than others?)</p>

-Check for exterior scratches and find out if it has ever undergone water damage</p>

-Find out service history (has it ever needed to be repaired before?)
    </p>

-Make SURE the swell shoe works</p>

-Ask if they could open the organ so you can look at the inside and see if anything looks broken </p>

-Make sure the pedalboard is AGO. Many pedalboard LOOK AGO but they aren't. (assuming you want an AGO pedalboard)
    </p>

-Try to ascertain whether the organ will last a long time or if it is about to break down </p>

-Before you buy the organ, make sure there is a organ repairman near you in case you have any problems</p>

- Do research before hand about the model</p>

-Create a CHECKLIST before you go to see the organ so you remember to check for everything and make a question sheet as well with any questions you have for the seller </p>

-Get a second opinion from somebody who has owned that organ or a similar one</p>

-Make sure when the organ is turned on that there are no strange internal noises</p>

-Make sure the organ is in tune- you don't want to have to buy the organ and then immediately need to tune it
    </p>

Hope that helped! All of those tips are based on my person experience. </p>

Comment

Kevin,</P>

Organmaster gave some very nice pointers regarding the purchase of any given used organ. I have a Baldwin Model 48C, and you can find several articles on here where I have posted a good number of comments regarding these organs. Therefore, do a search of the articles under my handle, and you should be able to find out some info.</P>

These organs do NOT have any Leslie speakers, but do have a Chorus control which gives the effect of a slow speed rotating speaker sound which can enhance the overall sound if you like such as this while playing. It is an OK organ for general church use.</P>

James</P>
      <P mce_keep="true"></P>
      Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
      Baldwin Spinet 58R
      Lowrey Spinet SCL
      Wurlitzer 4100A
      Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
      Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
      Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Comment

I service quite a few 48C organs around the state that are in regular use both in homes and churches. Seems to be a sturdy and durable instrument.</P>

The technology is obviously dated -- 70's I think. Analog oscillators, square waves filtered into flutes, stacked in pyramids to make strings, etc. Not anything like digital, but quite pleasant sounds, a good variety, and suitable upperwork, though no mixtures. The keying is the old-fashioned "gradual contact" that Baldwin used for decades. But most of these organs I see aren't having any key contact problems. The expression pedal also may use a gradual contact springy-thingy, and it can get crackly/crunchy, but is fixable or replaceable.</P>

All the parts are available from MusicElectronics in Springdale Arkansas. They also have th owners and service manuals. Most any respectable organ technician can work on them and can get advice if needed from MusicElectronics.</P>

They do need to be tuned now and then, as the oscillators can drift, and there's no need to not have it in tune. There are 12 master oscillators, each with a shaft sticking out the top for adjusting pitch. Tune them to zero beat with a known perfect pitch reference such as a digital keyboard's "oboe" or other voice without vibrato in it. Or get a digital tuning device. There may be a 13th oscillator that only produces the top C note of the 2' rank. It needs to be zero-beatwith the other C unit.</P>

A good little organ, and the price sounds right.Your biggest expense will be getting it moved.The pedals are "almost" AGO. I don't think you'd find them uncomfortable. Good luck.</P>

John</P>
        <P mce_keep="true"></P>
        John
        ----------
        *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

So what is the stop list for this instrument?</p>

</p>

Also, are you already a very experienced organist, or are you a student/beginning organist. If the latter applies to you, I would recommend only purchasing an organ with an AGO pedalboard, as you don't want to confuse your muscles at an early stage. I do not believe this organ has an AGO pedalboard, but I may be mistaken. </p>

</p>

Two things I forgot to add: You mentioned that this was for an apartment. I recently purchased an electric organ for my apartment as well. Make sure that you can use headphones with the organ. If it does not come with one, see if an organ technician can install one. Also, make sure that there is an organ technician present when you have the organ delivered to your apartment- you can't always trust a generic moving company to install it/pack it properly. Also, the organ may become out of tune during shipment.
          </p>

If you look on this forum, somewhere I know somebody linked to a video of themselves playing this organ...
          </p>

Comment

I'm not sure what the stoplist is. I'm going on Friday to check it out. Regarding the questions:</p>

</p>

I am a very experienced organist who has been playing for 12 years and has made organ/church music my career. It appears from the pictures that the instrument has an "almost" AGO pedalboard. Practice on this instrument will be supplemented with practice at work on a pipe organ. I'm just finding that practicing at work is just that: work. And I'm not able to get accomplished what I would like to. </p>

</p>

As for the headphones, the people above me have a piano, so I'm not necessarily looking for something with headphones, but volume control is an essential. </p>

The instrument is about 40 miles away from me. If I decide to get it, the question becomes: how to get it down here? My plan at the moment is to borrow a pick-up and have myself and three other friends move it. The expense of getting a professional truck/moving company is not something I want to deal with at this point. </p>

</p>

Thanks to everybody for all the advice! You have all been most helpful!
            </p>

Comment

Having played one of these for two years in a church (1973-1975) the first comment would be about the pedalboard.  It isn't AGO and close doesn't count.  Although the organ was likely from the late 60's and hadn't had heavy use, let alone abuse, some of the keys in the middle were "sprung"--substantially above the key level of others.  I once saw a Rodgers 660 with this problem but the organ was thirty years old and had fairly heavy use during the period.  The construction of the Baldwin didn't inspire confidence then;  an additional two decades of use wouldn't do it much good.<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>The cost and inconvenience of moving a less than satisfactory organ may outweigh the benefit.</DIV>

Comment

Just to update everybody, I took a look at the Organ last Friday, and noticed a few things:</p>

</p>

An audible hum when it was turned on</p>

A couple of notes not working in the pedal and most important</p>

The pedal board was just too small. You guys are right, "close" doesn't cut it in this case, at least not enough to make the trouble of moving the thing worth it. They said they would give it to me for free if I wanted it, but I had to turn them down. No use in having 400 pounds of dead weight in the second bedroom of the apartment. And now...I keep looking! Anyone with a good deal on a digital/electronic instrument in the Twin Cities of the US let me know! </p>

Thanks everybody for all your help,</p>

</p>

Kevin
                </p>

Comment

Working...
                X