This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johannus Opus 340 - Info please

Yesterday I saw an example of this model which somebody wants to get rid of.
    I didn't hear or play it, but was told it wasn't functioning properly, had hardly been used since the current owners bought it 2nd-hand, and was just taking up valuable space. It is a large 3-manual with proper (moving) drawstops and a fairly English-looking specification, including divisional thumb pistons.</P>

Can anybody (Arie?) please tell me how old it is, anlogue or digital, any known common faults and what (if anything) it is likely to be worth?</P>

Thanks in advance for any help.</P>

Douglas.</P>

Re: Johannus Opus 340 - Info please

Douglas,</p>

The Johannus Opus 340 is a mid 80s analog job. It had multiple generators, quasi chiff effects, 8 audio channels. Even so, it sounded..........well, not very good. Typical divider sound which was not authentic or inspiring.</p>

If it had moving drawstops (Kimber Allen) and a full load of pistons, it would have been the deluxe console version.</p>

If it has "issues" it is not really worth putting money into it.</p>

The only redeeming thing about it may be the console............and use it as a Hauptwerk setup.</p>

Arie V
    </p>

Comment

Thanks, Arie - that's very helpful.</P>

I saw no evidence of a separate generator cabinet (such as our 1979 Makin had - a large wardrobe-sized cabinet in the vestry with all the electrostatic generator wheels). Would the generators be built into the console on these Johannus models? I seem to recall that Makin went digital shortly after ours was built, i.e. very early 1980s.</P>

Douglas.</P>

Comment

Douglas,</p>

I am sure that all the electronics, including the amplifiers would be located inside the console. The electronics for the most part would have been done by ICs, the amplifiers were discrete components, but quite compact. I'm sure there would have been plenty of room inside a drawstop console for all the electronics.</p>

I believe Makin went digital toward the late 80s, using Bradford (or possibly Musicom) technology, which they used till the mid 90s.</p>

Arie V</p>

Comment

Arie,</P>

You may well be right on the last point.</P>

I just remembered somebody saying that shortly after our Makin was installed (Dec 1979), they changed from having a cabinet full of generators in the vestry to a few ICs in the back of the console.</P>

D.</P>

Comment

Working...
          X