Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martin digital organs closing

This is from "Hauptwerk virtual organ users" group on FB:

I really feel compelled to share this news. Our Church had a outstanding contract with Martin digital organs/audio. An e-mail was received from Martin that, "Martin Digital Organs is closing its doors." I feel sorry for anyone that has outstanding contracts with this company.

I have no further information.

If this concerns digital customers, should it be moved to "electronic organs"?

Comment

• beel m
      beel m commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point, but I don't know how to...

• myorgan
      myorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Regeron,

It is currently in that Forum (Home > Forum > Electronic Organs & MIDI > Classic & Church Electronic Organs). I believe Martin were virtual organs.

Michael

I noticed that Christopher Martin's personal web site is no longer active. Did the email give any reason?
    Bill

My home organ: Content M5800

Comment

• beel m
      beel m commented
      Editing a comment
      No- it was a posting in the Hauptwerk Users FB group from a guy obviously ticked that his church lost their down payment, so I didn't want to ask him for more info...

This is why there will always room for Allen and other established electronic organ builders even with their higher price points. People don't consider that a manufacturer's price is more than just the cost of goods and labor. There is significant overhead in keeping a business going long-term.
    -Admin

Allen 965
    Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
    Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
    Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
      This is why there will always room for Allen and other established electronic organ builders even with their higher price points. People don't consider that a manufacturer's price is more than just the cost of goods and labor. There is significant overhead in keeping a business going long-term.
      So true. In a way, I want my dealer to make a decent profit--I know at some point I'll need help from the dealer, and if there's no profit, there is no dealer.

Comment

• Hamman
        Hamman commented
        Editing a comment
        What a concept! Too bad that goes against this current generation.

Update: more info

Christopher Martin has been arrested on charges unrelated to the business and will likely be incarcerated for 6 to 24 months. His one business partner, Aaron Doyle, cannot sustain the business alone.

Comment

Good heavens! Gossipy old busybodies like me will certainly want to know what kind of "charges unrelated to this business!" Sorry to hear about this. Even though Martin was a bit player in the market, it's sad that any company that was obviously trying to work with the rapidly-changing organ business is having to close.
        John
        ----------
        Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
        Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
        Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
        Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

I am not familiar with Martin. Did they use the Musicom system?

Comment

• samibe
            samibe commented
            Editing a comment
            What's the Musicom system? My searches turn up MusicomLab (which seems to be an effects controller), a company in the UK, or an organ sound driver company (maybe it's the same as the UK company). I suspect that Martin used off-the-shelf midi components with a Hauptwerk sound driver.

• Admin
            Admin commented
            Editing a comment
            The Musicom system is/was a tone generation system using harmonic synthesis. It was based on the Bradford system. Copeman-Hart, among others, used the system in their instruments. The Bradford system was developed as an alternative to waveform synthesis as Allen held the patents on that form of digital technology at that time.

• samibe
            samibe commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks admin. In that case, my bet would be that Martin Digital did not use Musicom. Their business seemed built around providing a turn-key midi controller running Hauptwerk and any samplesets specified by the customer.

The Martin Digital Organ website is gone but the Wayback Machine on the Internet Archive has a snapshot of the Martin site taken on August 12, 2018. The organs were Hauptwerk based but I don't know what keyboard encoders they used.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180812...talorgans.com/

I did find one YouTube video of a home organ from Martin using the Laurenskerk Marcussen organ sample set from Sonus Paradisi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFlfNo7cugQ

Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand name.

Main: Allen RMWTHEA.3 with Rocky Mount Electra-Piano, Allen 423-C + Gyro cabinet, Britson Opus OEM38, Saville Series IV Opus 209, Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI
          Lower Level: Hammond 9812H with roll player, Gulbransen Rialto, Roland E-200, Vintage Moog
          Shop: Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with 18 speakers and MIDI, 4 Allen theater organ tone cabinets (including 3 Gyros, but don't call me Gyro Gearloose!).

Comment

• jbird604
            jbird604 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmmmm... perhaps not the best audio example of a Martin Hauptwerk organ, though the guy is of course a decent player (far better than me). The setup looks really nice. Impressive keyboards and pistons and expression pedals and such, and a minimalist but adequate console to hold it together. It just doesn't sound very good in this recording. Perhaps the recording method used was not optimum. Or I'm just spoiled by the luscious and sumptuous sounds on Contrebombarde! The contributors there are obviously pros at not only playing their organs but recording them as well. But if this cabinet and hardware are representative of Martin's products, they were doing a nice job. I used to browse their website out of curiosity and to dream of one day owning a fine Hauptwerk setup. Sad to think that they are gone.

• AllenAnalog
            AllenAnalog commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree, the sound quality was poor but I decided that he was probably using a smart phone to make the recording. I was impressed with the Crown power amps hiding behind the console.

I noticed on that archived site that there was a video of Christopher Martin playing one of his organs at a cathedral in Lima, Peru. But that video is no longer on YouTube.
        Working...
        X