Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Vanderlee
    replied
    AMD guy I PM'd you again about the free Baldwin: 2 manuals 32 pedals, I can help you move. Please let me know either way. The Baldwin is probably late 70's
    John

Leave a comment:

• timnc
    commented on 's reply
    I PM’d you with a free Allen although it may be a bit far. As far as installing, there are many folks on this forum that can help. I would start with getting external speakers, place them high enough to get the sound over the congregation while standing and point them to the center of the room. The one I messaged you about has 1/4” jacks in the back. Just plug in non-powered speakers that can handle 80 watts RMS. There is an adjustment inside to control volume of the built-in speakers when using external ones. jbird604 is extremely knowledgeable on these and helped me fix a dead key on the same model with $5 part and a soldering iron.

• AMDguy
    replied
    John, I PMed you about the Baldwin Theatre organ; not sure if you saw it or not...

anyways, an update: I played for another 25 min today, and the stops that were dead before (the 8' diapason, the 8' trompette, and one more 8' I can't remember) all have come back to life. So at this point, it is just the buzzing, and I have read that it might be due to a bad electrolytic capacitor, so I am going to open it up at some point and see what there is to see. Still interested in possible replacements...

Leave a comment:

• Dewey643
    commented on 's reply
    I heard the buzzing in the video,...and also agree the organ sounds terrible! Heard static in the pedals as well! I agree with jbird604,...an Allen MOS-1 would be your best bet if one can be found for free,...AND in good working order. I was very fortunate to be offered the Rodgers 640 I have now,...in very good condition. It sounds wonderful for a late 1980's Rodgers analogue organ. It does have the speakers inside the console.

• jbird604
    commented on 's reply
    True. It's an old Baldwin from the 1950's with tubes. Weighs a TON and the sound is very bland and boring. Would probably have the typical "bias" issues inherent in these old tube organs, and would need a complete generator rebuild, which costs well over a thousand dollars, not to mention the trouble and cost of shipping the generator assembly to the one person alive who knows how to do that, and is only done for the Baldwin fanatics and people with some kind of unreasonable nostalgic attachment to one of those things. Do NOT got for that one!

Get an Allen MOS-1 organ of some kind. They are getting to be offered for free quite frequently now, and they are the most reliable and trouble-free organs ever built by anybody. They were built in the 70's, but will still be playing when the current crop of electronic organs have hit the landfill!

• myorgan
    commented on 's reply
    I PM'd you with an offer of help, locating, and advice about moving an organ, and you never responded. The church that closed in June which had the ADC-3100 probably has found a place for the organ now. I believe it would have been free to another church. The organ was located in Bangor–just 80 miles from Augusta.

I guess at this point, I'm not sure what you really need, but I'm out. (Shark Tank reference) Your parents can contact me if the church is truly interested in an organ.

Michael

• John Vanderlee
    replied
    I may have a Baldwin Theatre Oregon coming up that’s freeIt’s supposed to be in excellent shape p.m. me if interested

Leave a comment:

• Adam Caldow
    commented on 's reply
    I was going to recommend the Craigslist free Allen TC-1 in Clifton NJ also.

• AMDguy
    replied
    ok, so I am finally here with a more in depth description of the problems with the Conn, with a pretty useless video of some of them.

I looked at the data plate on the back, and it is a Conn 632 Serenade from 1978.

I guess I will just go in order:

when you turn it on, there is an ever present buzzing. It is fairly faint, and you don't hear it on the video. The entire swell division functions great; it all works, just when you have full organ on the swell, it can sound a little bit out of tune, not really sure how to describe it. On the great division, there are a few stops that do not work, that can be seen in the video. Then there are the pedals. The great to pedal coupler is in and out, most of the time it does not work. Middle C on the pedalboard does not work with any of the stops. All of the 16' pedal stops do not work on the lowest 2 notes (C and C#); they also have a horrible static that is there with any of the lower notes, see the video. Finally, the organ just sounds terrible in general. There is static that will randomly be there in the background when you are playing any note on any division.

I forgot my tools to take the back off, so I will do that either next week or the week after. Sorry for the terrible video quality, I will film it again.

Leave a comment:

• AMDguy
    commented on 's reply
    I would, but it is really trickey, because the people running our church do not really want to invest any sort of money into any sort of organ, so I am basically left to what i can scavenge off of craigslist and ebay for free. if you know about anything though, do let me know. I am pretty adventurous, and I can figure out things pretty quickly, so I think that we would be able to install a small organ into our chuuch with little outside help... but then again, I have never actually installed an organ, and I don't know that much about electronic organs.

• james
    replied
    What model of Conn does your church currently have? They are very good for church work.

James

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied
    That is a very old Baldwin 46C that uses many tubes. When I was a young kid in the early 1960's those were new then. Now just notice how much time has flown by since then. They did have a great sound for church, but this looks like it has not been used for a number of years. Remember most any damn church will take up special offerings to send to some missionary in Mexico or somewhere that is in some jungle before they would let a few cents go to repairing or acquiring a good piano or organ for the church.

James

Leave a comment:

• beel m
    commented on 's reply
    Why not look for an Allen MOS-1 organ? Built to last "forever" (I have one at home and one at church and they're 1971 and 1976 vintage- both perfect condition), good repair history and LOTS of parts available from those who turned them into virtual organ consoles. And did I mention that they sound fine and require no tuning or routine maintenance?

• Horseshoe_or
    replied
    Originally posted by AMDguy View Post
    Update: as expected, they totally ignored my offer, so back on the hunt. I found one close to me that looks like a Baldwin 48C, but it does not have the pedalboard (maybe it is just not attached?).
    https://maine.craigslist.org/zip/d/c...933259090.html

There was a member that PMed me, but that fell through. Our church has seating for probably about 250-300, but there are only about 80-100 parishioners...
    I don't think it is a 48C. It looks like it is old enough to have tubes rather than transistors. It likely has a flat 25 note pedal board. I probably wouldn't go for it.

Leave a comment:

• AMDguy
    replied
    Update: as expected, they totally ignored my offer, so back on the hunt. I found one close to me that looks like a Baldwin 48C, but it does not have the pedalboard (maybe it is just not attached?).
    https://maine.craigslist.org/zip/d/c...933259090.html

There was a member that PMed me, but that fell through. Our church has seating for probably about 250-300, but there are only about 80-100 parishioners...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X