This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyboard contact adjustment

I noticed that the point of contact on the great keyboard is different from the swell keyboard on my Allen Digital MOS-1 203C 1978 model. The swell seems normal. On the great, when I depress a key, the contact point is near the key bed before it sounds. The swell keyboard is about half way. Is there a global adjustment for the great keyboard? Thank you for your help. Paul

There is a rail that all of the leaf switches are mounted to but I don't think it is adjustable vertically. The rail looks like a miniature aluminum I-beam. It is connected to the cheek blocks just behind the keys. (You'll need to tilt up the swell manual to see the great leaf switches and rail.) I don't have a picture of of the leaf switch rails for my organ so I'm not exactly sure how they are connected. If the rail is on a couple of spacers where it connects to the cheek blocks you might be able to loosen the screws, remove a spacer from each end (to move the leaf switches down), tighten the screws, and test.

If the rail is mounted directly to the wood cheek blocks the only other way is to adjust each key. It is somewhat tedious and you'll need a way to ensure consistency.
    Your organ likely has some leaf switches at the back of the keys that the key pushes closed when the key is pressed. There should be a bent piece of metal with two screws in it and a piece of felt that is connected to the back of the key. You'll want to loosen the screw closest to the leaf switch slightly and then tighten the other screw slightly to move the felt pad up a little bit. (This should push the leaf switch closed sooner in the keystroke.) Then check to see if the note sounds at the right location in the keystroke. I'd probably make a block that is half a keystroke thick to use it to push the key down. If the note sounds right as the top of the block is even with the adjacent keys, then you can move on to the next note. With the screws at the back always loosen one screw before tightening the other.

You might also want to check that the key travel is the same between the swell and great. It might be that the great seems to play later because the key travels further (even though activation is the same distance from bottoming out).
    Sam
    Home: Allen ADC-4500 Church: Allen MDS-5
    Files: Allen Tone Card (TC) Database, TC Info, TC Converter, TC Mixer, ADC TC SF2, and MOS TC SF2, ADC TC Cad/Rvt, MOS TC Cad/Rvt, Organ Database, Music Library, etc. PM for unlinked files.

Comment

Paul,

Is this change in activation some thing new, or has it always been that way. If it's new, then I'd suggest trying to discover what caused the contact level to change. Hope that helps.

Michael
      Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
      • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Michael,

I've owned the organ for one year. I don't think it's a new thing regarding the contact level. Paul

Comment

Thank you everyone. I made the adjustments with the instructions provided by "samibe". Paul

Comment

• myorgan
            myorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry for not responding earlier. I was out-of-state for 4-5 days. I'm glad your problem was resolved.

Michael
        Working...
        X